Depression

Remit_sl

shitlord
Just wanted to chime in that Tramadol is probably worse than benzos. You don't know anxiety until you withdrawal from an SSRI opiode...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just wanted to chime in that Tramadol is probably worse than benzos. You don't know anxiety until you withdrawal from an SSRI opiode...
From the addicts I shared the ward with - the worst three they kept stating were Benzos, Opiodes and Synthetic Marijuana (esp. K2 apparently?)

Remit_sl

shitlord
I had a bad time with k2 as well. I must just be prone to panic attacks. But tram withdrawal was a 7 day panic attack with opiate withdrawal on top. Then the next 20 days were tapered panic attacks. Still have them at night too (6 months later)

lindz

#DDs
Benzos are not a good long term solution to anxiety. Linda, try and see a psychiatrist; primary care often has a difficult time managing symptoms such as yours appropriately.
I'm seeing a psychologist. She's going to work with my primary care to prescribe the right meds. Will be an SSRI though.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I know exactly what you're talking about man, I was there - it didn't "feel miserable" because I just "acted like a Vulcan all the time" (as my wife says) - but once my Dad passed plus our quickly made close friends down here turned on us I came a bit unhinged where I truly realized I was miserable. I was on the edge holding myself together barely because of suppressing emotion to the point where I was almost a robot (emotional void).

Even now, just 4 full days out of the hospital and 6 days medicated I've found myself laughing regularly, making eye contact with people without feeling awkward, and generally taking a genuine interest in things without getting overwhelmed. I've not felt like this in YEARS, probably decades.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I'd think that the "emotional void" thing was something you and I learned as a coping method to mask depression - which certainly is effective most of the time - but it's a far better life without masking things.

(If I get motivated to later, I might transcribe one of my "worksheets" from the hospital that seems relevant - it was on Passive/Aggressive/Assertive behavior - a healthy person should be mostly assertive, I found myself almost entirely Passive, and I'm willing to bet you would as well [in fact "no caring about own emotions, but does care about others" or something similar I believe was part of it])
Yeah, by now I'm almost entirely passive. And, you know, that's fine with me, since in the past when I've been assertive of my opinion, in the end I've mostly been wrong. So the way I see it I'll just let others make the decisions and take the consequences. The more I come into contact with people, it seems, the more I want to become a hermit in some far away valley.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I just don't understand how people do relationships when they have something like depression. I've been alone my entire life, never been in any kind of relationship. I think the loneliness is actually feeding the depression as much as anything in my life could be. But it seems like if I were to be in one, it would just be burdening the other person with my problems.

Vaclav

On being a hermit: Perhaps I'm lucky in having a depressed wife, but now that I'm expressing my rare concerns they're getting assistance from her when her talents suit them without any real prodding. It's made my life a lot smoother.

Now of course meeting people when you're depressed and passive is tricky. I've always been lucky enough to be pursued and not the pursuer which is rare for a guy. Would likely have been alone a long time without that stroke of luck - no suggestions to deal with it unfortunately.

Troll_sl

shitlord
And the thing is, I don't want to be in a relationship where I'm just a burden on the other person. That would be selfish and irresponsible and so fucking horrible for the other person.

But fuck me if I don't want itsobad. Just the feeling of someone caring about me. And more, someone that I can care about. Even in my deepest depressive moods, having something to care about, something that forced an emotional connection, well, it was one of the few things that could break me out of the spiral. And while I know I'm in a fragile state of mind, I at least know that that was a genuine feeling. =

Nester

Vyemm Raider
And the thing is, I don't want to be in a relationship where I'm just a burden on the other person. That would be selfish and irresponsible and so fucking horrible for the other person.

But fuck me if I don't want itsobad. Just the feeling of someone caring about me. And more, someone that I can care about. Even in my deepest depressive moods, having something to care about, something that forced an emotional connection, well, it was one of the few things that could break me out of the spiral. And while I know I'm in a fragile state of mind, I at least know that that was a genuine feeling. =
You are not a burden, it is in your head only. I have been there i used to think that way, it was all in my head.
You deserve to love and be loved just like anyone else does. the one problem is it is typicaly you must go to it, it is very rare to come to you. That is the hardest part you must put yourself out there. Its hard, but necessary.

We are our own worst enemies.

iannis

Musty Nester
Even if he is, working out doeshelp.

It's just sort of that old problem. You get a little depressed and stop working out which leads you to be more depressed which leads you to not start working out again. And it's only going to do so much.

Kinda like if you're a diabetic it takes more to manage than "I just won't eat cake".

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Even if he is, working out doeshelp.

It's just sort of that old problem. You get a little depressed and stop working out which leads you to be more depressed which leads you to not start working out again. And it's only going to do so much.

Kinda like if you're a diabetic it takes more to manage than "I just won't eat cake".
Who, how, if and to what extent are valid questions. Asserting working out helps, bolding it, and not specifying extent or outcome is rather vague. Does thumb twiddling help? Can we extrapolate from your circular reasoning that those who never exercise are all depressed? Diabetics are not a homogenous group, and as such they can manage their health in various ways.

I'm curious, what is your take on cognitive therapy+pharma vs exercise - f.inst. which is easier to get started, which has a good compliance and for whom?

This thread needs more dabamf.

lindz

#DDs
Was prescribed Celexa at 20mg as a starting dosage. I'll have a follow-up in 3 weeks to check how I'm doing on it.

I'm feeling a bit skeptical about it right now. Guess we'll see though.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm just saying it helps, Izo. There's no need to go putting a real fine point on it in this context. Although you can, and I believe there are studies to quanitify exactly how much it helps. I think you misunderstood the emphasis. It is a very general thing to say.

I'm not saying it's the only treatment that you should pursue, or that by itself it is effective. Ithelps. It helps in the way that not walking on a broken ankle helps.

Just the effort and willpower of working out, ignoring all other physical effects and benefits directly related to the glandular processes that are at issue, is a sort of reality orientation and cognitive therapy in its own right.

I'm not implying that gettin swoll cures depression. Or if I was I didn't mean to.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I actually haven't found evidence that supports exercise as an effective treatment modality for depression. That being said, I advise patients to exercise as just general health promotion advice. By and large, the population I work with smoke like chimneys, are obese and don't always keep appointments with primary care, so someone has to get on their case about it. Personally, I feel exercise makes me feel better but I am not being treated for a mood disorder, so I don't count.

I've had a lot of patients have success with Celexa.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was prescribed Celexa at 20mg as a starting dosage. I'll have a follow-up in 3 weeks to check how I'm doing on it.

I'm feeling a bit skeptical about it right now. Guess we'll see though.
I'm on 40mg a day of Celexa right now. The only issues I've had with it are the occasional dry mouth and just when starting out on it, I got super tired about half way through the day and maybe had some stranger than usual dreams, but it went away after about 2 weeks of being at max dose. Those are the only issues I've had with it and it seems to help me quite a bit at least, so hopefully you have a similar experience!

Troll_sl

shitlord
I actually haven't found evidence that supports exercise as an effective treatment modality for depression. That being said, I advise patients to exercise as just general health promotion advice. By and large, the population I work with smoke like chimneys, are obese and don't always keep appointments with primary care, so someone has to get on their case about it. Personally, I feel exercise makes me feel better but I am not being treated for a mood disorder, so I don't count.

I've had a lot of patients have success with Celexa.
The only possible way that I see exercise helping is the temporary dopamine rush. But beyond that, I also haven't seen any evidence for any long-term efficacy.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You feel better about yourself for having done something positive.

Mostly it just makes me bored.

Vaclav

Exercise adds to self-esteem for most people, self-esteem increases baseline mood. Makes sense to me that way at least. (Speaking as someone planning to, but not active in the gym yet)