Desktop Computers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the money isn't an issue, just get the Mac and use Bootcamp for your Windows partition. Best of both worlds?

W

Wrathcaster

Glad I checked this thread. My rig is becoming a bit dated.

Current specs:
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: ASROCK p67 Extreme4
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge (liquid cooling)
RAM: 16 gig G-Skill DDR3-SDRAM (DDR3-1600)
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
HDD1: Plextor 128gb SSD
HDD2: Seagate 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair 650W

GPU seems to be the only real option to upgrade for meaningful performance increase as far as I can tell. My motherboard can't socket anything above an i5.

Were I to upgrade my processor, I'd need a new motherboard, and I'd have to go through the headache of completely taking my PC apart and putting it back together again after stripping my current motherboard out. I'd also have to deal with setting up a new liquid cooling system and the hassle of working out the issue of how I'd manage installing the SSD with my operating system into a new motherboard with a new processor, something I have no experience with. Considering the effort involved, I'd rather just build a new PC.

Will a new GPU, perhaps a 900 series card, keep my machine up to snuff for at least a few more years? Also, what would be the minimal acceptable upgrade to my elderly 560ti to keep my PC relevant?

I've got to say, I've got great admiration for the 560ti. It's performed great over the years, and even now I can run most everything at least to medium settings with 60fps.

Silence_sl

shitlord
What is your 2500k OC'd to? At this point, might as well wait for Intel skylake launch next year. Keep what you have and put in a 970 or 980, and make sure that 2500 is at least 4 GHz.

W

Wrathcaster

I haven't OC'd at all. I've always been a bit worried about damaging something, had a bad experience in the past with that. Got a decent guide/advice for a 2500k?

Silence_sl

shitlord
I haven't OC'd at all. I've always been a bit worried about damaging something, had a bad experience in the past with that. Got a decent guide/advice for a 2500k?
Just one of many:
Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*

IIRC, it was dead simple to hit at least 4.4 GHz. You don't need to go bananas here and shoot for 5GHz or something. 4.4 GHz is a good, safe target and a HUGE boost in performance especially with a 970 or 980. That right there is your new PC for the cost of a new GPU.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Glad I checked this thread. My rig is becoming a bit dated.

Current specs:
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: ASROCK p67 Extreme4
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge (liquid cooling)
RAM: 16 gig G-Skill DDR3-SDRAM (DDR3-1600)
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
HDD1: Plextor 128gb SSD
HDD2: Seagate 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair 650W

GPU seems to be the only real option to upgrade for meaningful performance increase as far as I can tell. My motherboard can't socket anything above an i5.

Were I to upgrade my processor, I'd need a new motherboard, and I'd have to go through the headache of completely taking my PC apart and putting it back together again after stripping my current motherboard out. I'd also have to deal with setting up a new liquid cooling system and the hassle of working out the issue of how I'd manage installing the SSD with my operating system into a new motherboard with a new processor, something I have no experience with. Considering the effort involved, I'd rather just build a new PC.

Will a new GPU, perhaps a 900 series card, keep my machine up to snuff for at least a few more years? Also, what would be the minimal acceptable upgrade to my elderly 560ti to keep my PC relevant?

I've got to say, I've got great admiration for the 560ti. It's performed great over the years, and even now I can run most everything at least to medium settings with 60fps.
Slap a new video card in there and your rig is solid. Sure, you could upgrade your entire motherboard and processor and spend $400+ doing so and it might eek out an extra 10% performance in games, but plunking down that same $400 on a video card will get you a 200%+ increase in gaming performance. That's definitely the way to go. If money was no opject and you just wanted the absolute best performance across the board then you should probably upgrade both, but if you are a normal human being and don't like wasting money, stick with that processor, it's fine, there are better upgrades to make elsewhere.

Looks at this (560ti vs 970 benchmark) and see how much difference just the video card will make

AnandTech | Bench - GPU14

There aren't a ton of direct game comparisons there since the 560ti is fairly old and they havn't benchmarket it on many new games, but you get a decent idea from the one game they list, Grid 2, 1080p at max settings goes from 36FPS to 124FPS. Expect similar results in just about any game if you upgrade to that video card. You're looking at 3-4x the performance boost.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A Hackintosh can be a bitch. I'm not sure I'd ever want one as an everyday driver.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hackintosh is a because-i-can thing only and will never actually do what you're wanting it to do with any reasonable amount of reliability.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
What are the chances the 970 will see a price drop on black friday or cyber monday? I'm looking to upgrade from a 560ti

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The more important question is what are the chances it'll even be in stock by then.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Hackintosh is a because-i-can thing only and will never actually do what you're wanting it to do with any reasonable amount of reliability.
I wouldn't want to live with one, but I built a VM install that's been reliable.

Pig shit slow, but reliable.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Chaud from mmochampion recommends a 270X as a mid-range card, and frankly $180-$200 is more what I'm looking for than $300+. Would you guys agree or do you think there's a better $200ish card? (Again, I'm upgrading for a 560ti.)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I use a Hackintosh fairly often. It's fine for everything that isn't 3D graphics related, and not too slow, but it's no Mac, and you have to be fairly careful with updates as they can replace needed kexts and boom, you're reinstalling.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Chaud from mmochampion recommends a 270X as a mid-range card, and frankly $180-$200 is more what I'm looking for than $300+. Would you guys agree or do you think there's a better $200ish card? (Again, I'm upgrading for a 560ti.)
Wait for Cyber Monday/Black Friday at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 280x cards down around $200 on sale. Last year there were a lot of previous gen cards that were $250-$300 as of September/October that dropped to the $180-$200 range for Black Friday & Cyber Monday. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Nvida 770s down in the $200-$225 range for a brief sale.