Desktop Computers

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do have a US address as well, but with poor exchange rate right now it doesn't really make for a benefit. I will keep an eye out for US sales too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Thank you Mist, that build was for me. I was actually going to post it here to see if anyone had any suggestions or changes.

On another note, from what I have read things like gtx970 and i5-4690k will not see significant discounts on Cyber Monday. Is it a better idea to look for deals on things like Mobo's, SSD, Case and Powersupply around Cyber Monday?
Newegg's best deals are traditionally around New Years.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And I actually found most of the best deals when I did my last build around mid-November, in the week to 10 days before Cyber Monday.

I highly recommend usingAmazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com.

You can plug any Amazon product URL into the site and see its price history. Will give you a decent idea of the lowest price a product usually hits when it is on sale(if it is something that has been around long enough to have a history.

Like the Seasonic Gold 750W power supply I listed in my parts list, the price history shows that it can dip down to $99 from it's current $109.Seasonic Power Supply ATX12V/EPS12V 750 Power Supply SSR-750RM | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Fadaar

That guy
There's no reason to have more than 1 solid state. Chuck the 2 extras and get moar video card!

Good choice on the motherboard, I have a cheaper one (the X99 Extreme4) and it's great. Also don't go MSI for video cards, I know myself and another person have both had issues with their Twin Frozr series and fans shitting out. I had two 560ti's in SLI that I ordered Oct 2011 and BOTH fans on BOTH cards were dead in less than 3 years.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Thing I hate about video cards is that they are so damned expensive. Thanks for letting me know about the MSI. I've only had EVGA and Sapphire but have built using other manufacturers. It won't be for a long while when I get the computer, me thinks. I'm trying to determine if getting a xeon processor would even be handy except for my hubby's rendering and shit. (Would it? :p) lol

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, I was just giving you crap since I assumed it was an unrealistic wish list. Unless you're doing modeling for NASA or some crap that needs to be done on an urgent timeframe, that PC is ridiculous overkill for just about any practical use. You could spend $2000 and get a PC that is 95% as fast.

You'd both be better off with a $2000 pc apiece, one for rendering and graphic design, one for gaming. You're spending a fortune tryiing to brute-force 1 PC to serve two vastly different purposes.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
There's no reason to have more than 1 solid state. Chuck the 2 extras and get moar video card!

Good choice on the motherboard, I have a cheaper one (the X99 Extreme4) and it's great. Also don't go MSI for video cards, I know myself and another person have both had issues with their Twin Frozr series and fans shitting out. I had two 560ti's in SLI that I ordered Oct 2011 and BOTH fans on BOTH cards were dead in less than 3 years.
I also had one of those Twin Frozr 560Ti cards and the fan died on it. They sent me a 660Ti as a free replacement though, so I wasn't even mad.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Would buying an R9 290 for $260 ($220 after $40 mail in rebates) be a decent deal or should I just wait for the 970 gtx - in other words, am I being cheap buying a lesser card for MUCH less money or should I just belly up and buy the $350 Nvidia?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
@Springbok see below:

And depending on what sales you see, I wouldn't be firmly set on a 970 either. If some crazy sales happen and you can get something like a 780 or a 290x for cheaper than a 970(~$350), jump on that. Heck, I'd still get that $250 AMD 290 over a 970 right now, and that leaves some leftover budget money to upgrade elsewhere (gives you a spare $100 to put towards a bigger SSD, or 16GB of Ram instead of 8, etc). don't get me wrong, the 970 is a great card at a very reasonable price for its performance, but I think we're going to see some good sales on comparable stuff this fall, whereas there's no way the price on the 970 is budging yet.

edit - I didn't realize 290x prices were already down in the $350-$400 range for the 4GB cards. If they drop even further down to sub $300, that's a no-brainer. That is a great card, and even moreso if its significantly cheaper than a 970 at that point.

I'd look at it this way, whether you spend $350 on a 970, or $250 on a 290/290x, either option is going to need to be upgraded within 2 years to still play new games on max settings, that extra $100 really isn't going to buy you much more time in the long run. If nothing goes on any significant sale then just go 970, its great, but if you can save some money and put it to use elsewhere I'd seriously consider that too.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
List price $189 is never gonna go up unless they stop making that model... Might as well wait for a real sale, it's only $20 off right now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn nice card for 229. It might dip a little lower around the holidays, but you could also be using it for the next couple months rather than rolling the dice on saving an extra $20. It's not like its going to drop to $99 or anything absurd like that.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, I didn't figure it'd drop too far below $200 if at all. Now to decide on a cpu/mb combo.... might just wait a few months though as my current one is an i5 3rd gen. Thanks again for the feedback, Amazon Prime will have it here tomorrow. Love that shit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and picked up a i5 4690k and a ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer to go with it since my old X58 board(second at that) decided to shit the bed the other day randomly.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Considering this is the reason for me upgrading, I feel like the 290 was money well spent:

rrr_img_81984.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That looks like junk. If you had that much money to spend you could build a much better cooling setup.