Desktop Computers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here are 2 versions of my build with the items I have purchased, I got the CX600M powersupply already as you can see.

Build with R9 290 = 452 watts
Build with gtx970 = 347 watts

I don't know much about power supplies....am I cutting it to close to max with the R9 build? Or is it fine?

Seeing as I can save $100 - $115 on the vid card I might get that R9

Also, I will be playing 1080p.......maybe 1440p

EDIT - From what I have read, drawing 300-400 would be ideal....so probably stay away from R9 290 with this PS?
I'm building a similar PC, here's what I'm thinking:

General restrictions:
I've never had an ASUS board and haven't been satisfied with my last ones (MSI, ASROCK, EVGA) so I want to try ASUS.
I don't want any AMD products, burnt over my last Radeon purchase.
I want a faster processor than one should get for gaming for some work related processing I do.

CPU: i7 4790k -Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com
MOBO: ASUS Z97-A -ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N970G1 -GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com
RAM: GSKILL 1600 -G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com
HDD: WD 2TB -Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
SSD: Kingstone 240GB -Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A - Newegg.com

Questions:
Is getting the $30 aftermarket cooler worth it?
Is getting faster than 1600 RAM worth it?
Why the EVGA graphics card over another one? I chose the Gigabyte because it had the largest surface area so theoretically it'd have the most heat dissipation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm using the EVO atm and am happy with it, I just specced the v300 over the EVO to save a few bucks. What's wrong with the v300?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm using the EVO atm and am happy with it, I just specced the v300 over the EVO to save a few bucks. What's wrong with the v300?
The v300 sucks, it's got whatever parts Kingston had lying around that day inside of it. People have taken them apart and found completely different controllers and chips inside. It's absurd.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm building a similar PC, here's what I'm thinking:

General restrictions:
I've never had an ASUS board and haven't been satisfied with my last ones (MSI, ASROCK, EVGA) so I want to try ASUS.
I don't want any AMD products, burnt over my last Radeon purchase.
I want a faster processor than one should get for gaming for some work related processing I do.

CPU: i7 4790k -Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com
MOBO: ASUS Z97-A -ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N970G1 -GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com
RAM: GSKILL 1600 -G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com
HDD: WD 2TB -Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
SSD: Kingstone 240GB -OCZ ARC 100 ARC100-25SAT3-240G 2.5 - Newegg.com

Questions:
Is getting the $30 aftermarket cooler worth it?
Is getting faster than 1600 RAM worth it?
Why the EVGA graphics card over another one? I chose the Gigabyte because it had the largest surface area so theoretically it'd have the most heat dissipation.
Id stick with 1600 memory, anything faster is pointless aside from stroking your epnis on various benchmarks. I wish I had seen the 1600 ripjaw kits on sale, would of saved myself $20. I assume this is going to be a gaming machine? If so id go with the i5-4690k and save yourself $80. Only difference between it and the 4790k is the lack of hyperthreading so if youre just playing games with this build there would be zero performance difference. 4790k is clocked slightly faster but thats pretty irrelevant considering these two chips arent meant for OCing. And if you do plan to OC id go with a corsiar h110 or something similar for a cooler.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Can any sales be expected on various GTX970's or is $329 going to be the lowest for the foreseeable future? The fan on my 560ti is starting to sound like a jet engine so I'd like to replace it before it does go I don't mind holding off a little to shop around but of $329 is going to be the golden price I'll put the order in sooner than later.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Can any sales be expected on various GTX970's or is $329 going to be the lowest for the foreseeable future? The fan on my 560ti is starting to sound like a jet engine so I'd like to replace it before it does go I don't mind holding off a little to shop around but of $329 is going to be the golden price I'll put the order in sooner than later.
I wouldn't count on any 970 or 980 sales until next Spring at the earliest, and I'd almost bet my left nut you wont see a price drop before New Years for any reason. About the only exception to that would be if AMD 380/390 cards showed up after the first of the year with incredible performance and low prices. But as things stand now, theres no reason for Nvidia to drop prices at all on such a new product. Might see a slight price drop if/when a 980Ti shows up, but that probably won't be until well after the first of the year too, probably also Spring.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My wife downloaded a virus on my standin HTPC (which was my box 4 upgrades ago) when searching for torrents from bad sites. As punishment I want to put a linux distro on my HTPC. Any recommendations?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Be a man, use Arch.

I like Mint for the easy distros these days though.

MossyBank

N00b
So i'm buying a new Monitor today, found this deal for Cyber Monday..

ASUS PA238QR Black 23 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

What do you guys think of this product? This is the monitor i'm using now..

Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Specs - CNET

Which is almost 7 years old now, and i've been getting lines across the screen for a few years now..

The one i'm looking at is an IPS monitor which I hear isnt as good for gaming, but it's got 6ms response grey to grey, and I mostly just play Hearthstone these days anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just went through newegg's cyber monday deals. A bunch of parts I wanted were listed, almost all were at prices at or higher than they were yesterday lol.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I noticed the exact same thing Tuco. I browsed the storage and the parts sections briefly, but they list all their "discounts" off of MSRP price. Which basically puts the same price as it already is year-round.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Just went through newegg's cyber monday deals. A bunch of parts I wanted were listed, almost all were at prices at or higher than they were yesterday lol.
That's pretty typical, and annoying. I built a system last November and bought everything in the weeks before Black Friday and the prices for Black Friday and Cyber Monday wasn't cheaper on a single component I bought or that was on my radar. Cyber Monday being the shittiest of all prices.

Only thing annoying me with the system I built last year is I bought a 780 figuring a year later the prices would drop enough to grab a second for SLI. Prices have dipped, but not that much before simply going out of stock or being priced higher than a 970.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
How often do these monitors go on sale? I was going to buy one but procrastinated and missed the deal.
Part Picker is a nice resource

I waited like 4 months last year watching it not go on a single sale until Newegg had their promo for 239. And then it stayed well above that most of the next 4 months or so I was looking to get a second/third, but price never dropped low enough to make me pull the trigger. It's still a strong monitor and decent value so my guess is pretty low chance it will go on sale again, much less to 219 again.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't paid any attention to CPUs lately, but I want to upgrade things because....well, because. Is there any reason to replace myi7-970yet, or can I just buy a 580 and be done?