Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No it doesn't really. It has Marvell PCIe 9128 controller SATA ports on a secondary controller, which don't work for shit and are actually worse in real world performance than the primary SATA II ports included in the chipset spec. It was a huge kerfuffle when those boards were new, and years later now that devices actually need the sata bandwidth, they're completely worthless ports.
Fucking worthless controller. Got to learn about how shitty that thing is when I bought my SSD last year.

Jovec

?
Apologies in advance if i'm in the wrong thread but a quick search didn't reveal any others. My desktop is a bit older and I wanted to start upgrading things like the graphics card, sound card etc. One I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decently priced graphics and sound cards and two is there anything else I should look into upgrading? the processor is AMDFX(tm)- 6100 six-core 3.30 GHz. Not sure if thats needed or not but I'm fairly new to the whole upgrading/building scene.
The only thing I'd look to changing would be a video card, ram, or ssd, because you can transfer them to a newer system later.

Itmaybe worth it to upgrade the CPU (after doing the above) if your mobo supports something like a newer 8320e* and you are budget constrained, but it's not going to be a huge improvement (5%-10% at most). In absolute terms the 6100 isn't too bad. In comparative terms (to Intel) it's way behind. Or to look at it another way, given the same GPU/RAM/etc between a 6100 and a 4670k the 6100 will be about 15% - 35% slower on average depending on the game (of course there will be some outliers, and Blizzard games are heavily Intel favored).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know where to buy legit MS Office keys cheap? I checked reddit, no go anymore.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know where to buy legit MS Office keys cheap? I checked reddit, no go anymore.
Was looking for this as well but the software swap section got some new rules.
frown.png

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I got access to windows / office keys but you might need to do the phone activation because they should be limited to 10 computers. PM me if you want to give it a shot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm actually upgrading the old desktop's processor as well. It has a Core2Duo in it but supports a Core2Quad (Q6600). Normally I wouldn't even waste my time, but the processor is like $28 on ebay.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Should be finebut it will all just run at the lowest common denominator, the 1600. No use really buying 2133 if you're going to just run it at 1600

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any suggestions on upgrading my Samsung PX2370 monitor? I would really like a nice 32" tv capable of being used for console/pc gaming, though maybe my vidcard wouldn't handle that very well, it is currently a nVidia 560ti.

Evernothing

So on this motherboard I only see 3 SYSFAN plugs and the 2 CPUFAN plugs. I want to run 4 case fans in my R4 case, so can I hook up 2 front and 1 rear exhaust to SYSFAN plugs and the top exhaust to CPUFAN2 ?

This should make the 3 on SYSFAN run all the time, and the one on CPUFAN2 run only when the CPU fan runs, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-777-_-Product

Or would I be better off getting either a fan splitter cable, or a fan controller for the 5.25" bay ?

Evernothing

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This is interesting...been keeping tabs on this off and on for the last year

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes - The Tech Report - Page 3

Basically they started writing data to 4 different brands of 256GB SSDs over a year ago, and are just letting them run 24/7 to see how long it takes them to fail
ran-write.gif

The Intel 335 SSD died after 750TB of writes
The Kingston Hyper-x 3k died after 728 TB
Samsung 840 Evo died around 900 TB
Corsair's Neutron GTX made it to 1100TB (1.1 Petabyte)
The Samsung 840 pro is up to 2000TB (2.0PB) and still going, as is one of the Kingston drives(that is explained in the article, but it's the only drive that is using some sort of controller setting that compressed data before write in order to conserve disk life)