Desktop Computers

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
Any suggestions on upgrading my Samsung PX2370 monitor? I would really like a nice 32" tv capable of being used for console/pc gaming, though maybe my vidcard wouldn't handle that very well, it is currently a nVidia 560ti.
If be interested in recommendations as well. I have a 570 right now and am looking at 27 inchers. Are a 140 refresh rate and 1440p worth it for mmos and would a 970 be able to run that well on a 4770k?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
If be interested in recommendations as well. I have a 570 right now and am looking at 27 inchers. Are a 140 refresh rate and 1440p worth it for mmos and would a 970 be able to run that well on a 4770k?
1440p is definitely worth it for MMOs but 120 hz/fps most definitely is not. Unless you play a lot of first person shooters or fast paced action games on the side too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The 290x outperforms the 970gtx at 1440p does it not?
No, not always, depends on the game. They're real close at 1440p. In fact, some games will be even more confusing because 1 card will have a higher average framerate at 1440p, but the other card have the higher minimum frame rate at 1440p, and both are important.

Look through some benchmarks here:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Review Roundup - Battlefield 4 Performance | bit-tech.net

Battlefield 4, for instance, 290x averages 48fps and the 970 50fps, but the 290x has a minimum of 39, with the 970 having a minimum of 38.

You actually see the same thing at 4K resolutions as well.

I personally bought a 970 a few weeks ago. The fact that it basically ties a 290x at 1440p and 2k, and is faster at 1080p, all while drawing less power and putting out less heat made it a no-brainer for me (I game at 1440p)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is interesting...been keeping tabs on this off and on for the last year

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes - The Tech Report - Page 3

Basically they started writing data to 4 different brands of 256GB SSDs over a year ago, and are just letting them run 24/7 to see how long it takes them to fail
ran-write.gif

The Intel 335 SSD died after 750TB of writes
The Kingston Hyper-x 3k died after 728 TB
Samsung 840 Evo died around 900 TB
Corsair's Neutron GTX made it to 1100TB (1.1 Petabyte)
The Samsung 840 pro is up to 2000TB (2.0PB) and still going, as is one of the Kingston drives(that is explained in the article, but it's the only drive that is using some sort of controller setting that compressed data before write in order to conserve disk life)
That's interesting, does the article list how many WPD or fullwrites of a lifespan it has?

I also remember reading things about Kingston drives over the summer that made me blacklist them but I can't remember what it was.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Every one of the drives outlasted their advertised lifespans, which is nice. The author tracked his personal computers SSD (and seeing as how he works for a PC hardware website, I'm sure he's on his computer ALL day long) and figured up that based on his average computer usage, that Samsung Pro would last him over 1000 years, thats how long it would take him to get to 2 Petabytes worth or writes.

I think it's safe to say that most decent SSDs are going to last longer than most people would practically use them (you'll probably upgrade to a bigger drive long before it fails) and they definitely last a long longer than the average platter-based Hard Drive

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah. I guess I was interested because at work we design storage arrays now that are all flash and WPD are a big concern, but on the flipside they are doing full or half writes per day on each disk, so they have to be replaced every couple years.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is he only doing one drive per model? would need to do like 10+ drives per model for me to really draw conclusions besides the fact that yeah, SSDs are reliable now.

The speed tests are interesting too.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with the H100i? I'm finishing up a new build and plan some slight overclocking, so I'm looking into coolers. Currently undecided between the H100i and the Noctua, but I'm using G.Skill Trident X RAM so there is a slight compatibility issue with the Noctua unless I remove the heat spreaders on the RAM.

Was going to go with the H100i as a result but over the last week I've been reading nothing but horror stories on Corsairs website and on Newegg regarding noise (mostly fans, but I intended to replace them with NF-F12's anyway), pump failures and odd pump noises and difficulty ramping up after going cold, and the fact that their software isn't compatible with Win 8.1 and they don't seem able to fix their win 8 issues.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
We had this discussion about low end watercooling vs high end air cooling for a while now. There was no consensus but I'd always pick air cooling unless you're willing to spend for a decent wc system (300++$) not to mention that if you don't water cool the vga as well, all your noise concerns are moot.

When I hear watercooling I think of this :
2TRPl2h.jpg

jooTkWz.jpg

yihxlGg.jpg

Jovec

?
plan some slight overclocking
h100i with 2 NF-F12s puts you in the $150-$175 range given tax and shipping. A NH-U12S/14S will be around $85. D14/15 around $100-$120. Up to you, but you don't have to worry about pump noise or leaks with Noctua. I can't speak to the h100i, but the Noctua package is also top notch with great mounting and TIM (not a shill, I swear!). RAM heat spreaders are mostly bling. I've been running[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */with the top fin removed 24/7 for the last 10 months with no issue. Even though you are talking about NF-F12s, keep in mind that the NF-A15 that comes with the U14S or D15 is better than the standalone version (1500 max rpm vs 1200 max).

There are also the Noctua iPPC line of 2000/3000rpm 12/14cm fans if you are trying for max performance.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience with the H100i? I'm finishing up a new build and plan some slight overclocking, so I'm looking into coolers. Currently undecided between the H100i and the Noctua, but I'm using G.Skill Trident X RAM so there is a slight compatibility issue with the Noctua unless I remove the heat spreaders on the RAM.

Was going to go with the H100i as a result but over the last week I've been reading nothing but horror stories on Corsairs website and on Newegg regarding noise (mostly fans, but I intended to replace them with NF-F12's anyway), pump failures and odd pump noises and difficulty ramping up after going cold, and the fact that their software isn't compatible with Win 8.1 and they don't seem able to fix their win 8 issues.
Go with the H110. Cheaper and slightly better performance. My brother has one and he hasnt had any problems with it at all and Ill be picking one up for myself here in the near future.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have an H100i that has been running my 3570k processor at 4.8ghz(3.4 stock) for over 2 years now with zero issues.

I did replace both stock radiator fans with 4 aftermarket fans in a push/pull configuration on both sides of the radiator. Since I'm running 4 fans they never have to ramp up past 50% RPMs even after hours of gaming, everthing stays nice and quiet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've done watercooling for my last 2 or 3 builds and this one I'm skipping it this time. It's fun and PC Building enthusiasts should give it a try at least once but I dunno, you have so many more parts in your PC and you're supposed to change out the water every 6 months (I never do) or you'll get bacteria that builds up inside even with a chemical compound to stop it. And if your water gets dirty and you have a quiet PC you'll start to hear water noises like it's a damn aquarium.

Doing the initial setup requires a lot more effort than air cooling because not only do you have to cut, fit, bend and affix ~6 different tubes (God help you if you get a kink in one of them) but having to work your radiator(s), pump and reservoir in is a hassle.

Plus if any problems happen and you have to start swapping out parts it's a huge pain to work in because everything has hoses connected every where. Not being able to take out your GPU without having to re-paste is really annoying and having to work around 3 tubes to move your RAM (or whatever) is also a pain.

And then your PC is super heavy.

And all that for what? You'll be able to OC your CPU to incredible amounts but you can't OC a GPU for crap and most games don't even stress your CPU unless they're badly optimized (a lot of them are though).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Basically, do watercooling if you want to have fun and view it as a hobby. Don't do it if you think it's the holy grail of effective DIY computing.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
And all that for what? You'll be able to OC your CPU to incredible amounts but you can't OC a GPU for crap and most games don't even stress your CPU unless they're badly optimized (a lot of them are though).
And, honestly, is it even all that noticeable anymore? Other than the numbers spewed out by a benchmark program? Processors are so fast it's like you're just splitting hairs at this point.

I have an i5-2500K that I had gotten up to 4.2GHz. But eventually just said 'fuck it' and set it all back to stock. Every time anything somewhat wonky happened I immediately wondered if it's due to the OC'ing.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have an H100i that has been running my 3570k processor at 4.8ghz(3.4 stock) for over 2 years now with zero issues.

I did replace both stock radiator fans with 4 aftermarket fans in a push/pull configuration on both sides of the radiator. Since I'm running 4 fans they never have to ramp up past 50% RPMs even after hours of gaming, everthing stays nice and quiet.
Pretty much have the exact same experience as this. 2 years running an H100 on my 3770k OC'd 24/7 with aftermarket fans in push/pull and absolutely zero issues plus it is dead silent.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I got an h90 closed loop water cooler last year on my pc build, and feel as comfortable with it as with any air cooler in the past. It's quiet enough, and when my system needs extra cooling it's all the case fans causing sound (spent hours getting a good balance for summertime conditions as the office gets hot). In the end, I doubt I'd have noticed much difference either way between a good air cooler and a closed loop system in sound, performance, etc. Performance, maybe, as my preference isn't to push an OC, but find a good OC/undervolt balance that gives a bit more performance, but less overall heat. Not sure how air coolers would be in this regard, with this system, but my the h90 has been solid.

One tip with closed loop coolers is find a motherboard headed/setting that will keep your pump at a constant. The pumps cycling up and down is what gets loud (and I assume puts more stress on them than just running constantly).

The fears of leaks are, imo, no more founded these days than the fear a giant metal thing attached to your cpu will damage the motherboard. Shit can happen, of course, but shit can always happen. The biggest worry with a water cooling solution is if the pump stops working, you get extremely fast temp spikes (from what I understand). If fans on an air cooler stop working, the heat sink still offers cooling and the system can shut down more gracefully.

I personally wonder why on earth a company hasn't put out a closed loop water cooler with an optional heat sink assembly for double protection against failure. And extra cooling? Maybe it wouldn't actually provide the benefit? Or the average consumer just wouldn't care and would still argue air vs water back and forth like they do now instead of just adopting both?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess to add what pop said, if I were not overclocking I would never waste the money on a water system or high end air. Completely pointless, imo.

The difference an H100i brings is the ability to have near silence with good fans added (at higher cost of course).

You need none of it with a bog standard clocked system.

I guess if you wanted, you can spend ~$30 on a CM212+ and still have a massive overkill for a stock system.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm probably going to get shit on for this (and rightfully so) but there is something about the size of the D-14/D-15 that's just...I don't know, off-putting to me I guess. I love just about everything about the company and believe heavily in their products and it's almost unheard of to find anyone with negative things to say about Noctua cooling, but the size and aesthetics are just :/ and give me a cluttered feeling.

My concerns with H100-H110 have been calmed a bit. Maybe I'll give the H110 a try in push/pull since I already have spare fans sitting around and if I don't feel comfortable, swap to air.