Desktop Computers

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'd bet you he works for a large company that buys PCs with OEM keys that aren't used.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Where does that dude get his windows keys from? He says they're legitimate.. but.. ??
I think university students can still buy legit copies of windows for like $10 (and office for like $99 instead of $500 or whatever)

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be 1 per person/.edu email address, so it sounds like this guy has a system of getting unlimited email addresses, since he is a student on a campus from the sounds of it. (or has a ton of friends)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Decent pre-built barebones PC here that would be a good start for a gaming PC if you absolutely don't want to build your own

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop: i7 4790, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, GT 720, Win 8.1 $630 + Free Shipping - Dell Home & Office Deals, Coupons and Promos

I pieced together the cheapest similar PC I could piece together and it's basically the exact same price
Intel Core i7-4790K, Zalman Z5 - System Build - PCPartPicker

I didn't include a video card in my build because you wont want to use the video card that comes with that pre-built Dell either. Pull that sucker out, slap in an Nvidia 970 and you have a damn nice gaming PC for a grand without having to build anything yourself

Only downsides are possibly Dell software/bloatware with the windows install, and I really don't know the size/quality of the PSU that they used, I just assumed its probably arond 400w, so thats what I compared it to in my parts list there.

I'm also assuming thats an i7 4790k processor, since they specifically state that its running at 4ghz, and that is what the 4790k defaults to, rather than the plain 4790 that defaults to 3.6ghz.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's pretty pointless. The card probably costs them $10 when bought in bulk, just so they can advertise the PC as "dedicated graphics"

edit - I cant even find a decent benchmark on a Nvidia 720 card, but the 720M mobile chip benchmarks almost exactly the same as the Intel HD 4600 that comes built in to an i7 4790k processor. So yeah, probably totally pointless, integrated graphics are going to be just about the same as that worthless card they put in there.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Did anyone else just recently update their AMD graphics card driver because Catalist told you too and now your computer can't find any driver? I tried hitting the forum but that shit is down.http://forums.amd.com/Either they got hacked or they are getting a POUNDING right now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dell used to be pretty good with bloatware and build quality but I've seen their latest stuff and they suck ass.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did anyone else just recently update their AMD graphics card driver because Catalist told you too and now your computer can't find any driver? I tried hitting the forum but that shit is down.http://forums.amd.com/Either they got hacked or they are getting a POUNDING right now.
I read that their drivers were compatible with Win 8.1 but not WIn 7 or the reverse, at least on reddit. Check out /r/techsupport or /r/buildapc

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decent pre-built barebones PC here that would be a good start for a gaming PC if you absolutely don't want to build your own

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop: i7 4790, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, GT 720, Win 8.1 $630 + Free Shipping - Dell Home & Office Deals, Coupons and Promos

I pieced together the cheapest similar PC I could piece together and it's basically the exact same price

I didn't include a video card in my build because you wont want to use the video card that comes with that pre-built Dell either. Pull that sucker out, slap in an Nvidia 970 and you have a damn nice gaming PC for a grand without having to build anything yourself

Only downsides are possibly Dell software/bloatware with the windows install, and I really don't know the size/quality of the PSU that they used, I just assumed its probably arond 400w, so thats what I compared it to in my parts list there.

I'm also assuming thats an i7 4790k processor, since they specifically state that its running at 4ghz, and that is what the 4790k defaults to, rather than the plain 4790 that defaults to 3.6ghz.
That is an insanely cheap pre-built PC. Great deal.

My guess on the 720 is they are just trying to dump stock. It's useless.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You're pretty likely going to have to get a new PSU for that Dell prebuilt as you'll be lucky if it's even a 400w it comes with, but otherwise yea if you want to avoid most of the build that is really solid.

Fadaar

That guy
Anyone have any experience with the H100i? I'm finishing up a new build and plan some slight overclocking, so I'm looking into coolers. Currently undecided between the H100i and the Noctua, but I'm using G.Skill Trident X RAM so there is a slight compatibility issue with the Noctua unless I remove the heat spreaders on the RAM.

Was going to go with the H100i as a result but over the last week I've been reading nothing but horror stories on Corsairs website and on Newegg regarding noise (mostly fans, but I intended to replace them with NF-F12's anyway), pump failures and odd pump noises and difficulty ramping up after going cold, and the fact that their software isn't compatible with Win 8.1 and they don't seem able to fix their win 8 issues.
Been a lot of posts already but: I have my i7-5820k overclocked from 3.3 to 4.4 GHz with the h100i and it hovers around 40-45C under load, 35ish idle.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

That's not such a good deal when you consider they use shitty oem motherboards, cheap ram and power supplies. I'd rather build it for the exact same price and know what components I got. Also, the bios is pretty locked down on their non Alienware stuff so forget overclocking.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need a gaming monitor now and know very little about them.

Requirements: 1080p, Windows 8 compatible, 144hz, and I think preferably LED (right?)

Budget: ~$300

How do these look?

ASUS VG248QE

BenQ XL2411Z

Should I be looking for something different?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Nope, that Asus monitor is basically the pinnacle of 1080p gaming monitors. Only thing you may want to do is wait a bit as they were as cheap as 210$ back around Thanksgiving time and may come down to that again before the year is out.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
So Im looking upgrade an aging MB/CPU as the first steps into a better PC, Im looking to spend under $600. The main thing is I want something that's good without overclocking to get the best value out of it because im just not interested in delving into the overclocking realm. Any suggestions?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need a gaming monitor now and know very little about them.

Requirements: 1080p, Windows 8 compatible, 144hz, and I think preferably LED (right?)

Budget: ~$300

How do these look?

ASUS VG248QE

BenQ XL2411Z

Should I be looking for something different?
The XL2420Z is a lot better BenQ monitor than the one you linked, for only a few dollars more.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So Im looking upgrade an aging MB/CPU as the first steps into a better PC, Im looking to spend under $600. The main thing is I want something that's good without overclocking to get the best value out of it because im just not interested in delving into the overclocking realm. Any suggestions?
Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com

ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

get an i5 4690k

get any ~$100-$150 motherboard of your choosing as long as it's a "Z97"

If you have a microcenter store near you, buy both of them there and save probably $100

I know you said you don't want to overclock, but anymore it's basically 1 button that you click in your bios interface, any i5 4690k can bump up to 4ghz on stock cooling with zero issues. Click the 1 button, get a little more performance, and you're set for any gaming you'll want to do for probably 4+ years. Just plan on having to get a new video card every other year and you're gtg.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya im not opposed to overclocking whole heartily I just don't want to have to fidget with aftermarket cooling set ups really. Thanks for taking the time to respond.