Desktop Computers

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I sold off an Antec 900 I had laying around with whatever junk was still running in it not that long ago. P55 motherboard and whatever CPU and GPU and HDD was still in it. Got 450 dollars for it too.
I won't lie, the urge to sell the whole thing to some pleb who can't/won't build and make myself something shiny and new is REALLY high.

Realistically though, I think the better option is grab a 2nd 980 and ride this thing in to the dirt for the next ~3 years then start from scratch.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Installed Windows on the new ssd. Clicked on the wrong email to download guild wars and immediately got so many viruses. Now I have to start over again tomorrow fucking shit.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Generally if you're going mini-ITX build with a small/HTPC case, you need the mini ITX of a video card, like this 970...
Plenty of SFF / HTPC cases fit 13" cards now thanks to the more frequent use of PCI riser cards / cables. If you'd rather have the full power card than the case you already selected you may want to shop around for those. Example - Silverstone'sRVZ01orFTZ01(same interior different exteriors)

EDIT: Nevermind, the ML07 supports 13" cards anyway. Always check manufacturer ->ML07. It's just an earlier iteration of the two above. FTZ is the heaviest construction of the three.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
anyone have a suggestion on a 4k TV that is legitimately good for a monitor? I dont want to skimp. IPS, 60hz, good color, no blur, etc. etc. Something about 4k at 40"+ just gives me a big old boner. I dont need to play crysis at 60+ fps- just work & league of legends + occasional MMO

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok so I now have 8gb of thisG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9S-4GBXL - Newegg.com

And 8gb ofG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com

I know nothing about ram. I assume the 1866 is better but Cas is diffrent.

I don't want to mix them so which is better what do I put in and what do I sell?
Gonna bump this once in case it was missed and then I'll let it go. Would appreciate anyone's insight.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You can mix them (as long as they're paired) at the slower speed if you can get them all to pass a memory test without errors at that speed.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Ugh. I always do this with big(ger) purchases. I'm all set, know what I want, have the money set... and I can't pull the trigger. It takes me like a week to actually do it.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
That's good, embrace your inner jew. It's how you get rich.
Eh, I'm an actual Jew and I'm poor so it doesn't always work out.
tongue.png

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
So I'm looking to get a new monitor. Not sure if there have been review threads recently on monitors. I'm looking for 24" and since I usually play RPG/strategy type games (WoW, EQ, DragonAge type RPGs) and not really FPS, I'm thinking an IPS panel will be better over a TN panel for better color/viewing quality. Any suggestions on an IPS 24" monitor under $300? Was leaning towards an Asus, but guess would consider something like BenQ or Dell if they're better.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would wait on monitors. Tons of computers have finally turned their attention to the gaming monitor market.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There much point going i7 atm? I went i7 920 because I had the money and it's been a good processor.

My starting point for a build I'm going to pull the trigger on in the next week or two is below. Gaming at 1440p with a second monitor at 1080p... with some expectations of getting a VR helmet between now and the build after this one. Almost certainly not going w/ this case due to my desk setup but just leaving it with the suggested component(s) until I dig into it a little more. Leaning NZXT H440 for the case.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5&quot; Solid State Drive($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($71.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card($534.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case:Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case($120.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply:SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)($89.95 @ OutletPC)
Total:$1298.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:56 EDT-0400

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Zero benefit over the i5 unless you plan on doing a lot of video editing or photoshop. Also go with the 4690k if you plan on OCing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Go 4690k processor, I would personally go 16gb of RAM instead of just 8gb. I'm a Samsung fanboy, so I would prefer those SSDs over Crucial. Skip the money on Windows 8.1, and get a key off Microsoft swap reddit for $20'ish or less. Put that money towards any of the changes.