Desktop Computers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mist has suggested repeatedly on this thread about doing similar practices. Thanks for being one of many reasons we pay more for hardware for your welfare upgrades.

You have decent advice overall in this thread, but you should quit being a dickbag about your upgrades via scam RMA.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Case alternative,

Corsair Carbide 330R

For memory, get at least 2800mhz DDR4 memory otherwise you're losing performance compared to DDR3 on Haswell.

G Skill 2800mhz

For PSUs, I'm completely biased towards Corsair as the last 2 and current 3rd one have yet to let me down.
Thanks for the catch on the RAM. The case looks alright, but I really don't dig the big door on the front of the case. I'm one of those weirdos that still uses optical drives now and then. The extra door annoys me.

I'm going to repost her up (with changes) just in case another set of eyes sees something stupid. Will probably make a buy today:

Stuff:

CPU
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

CPU Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com

MB:
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB Intel Z170 Desktop Memory Model F4-2800C15D-16GVR - Newegg.com

Vid Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

SSD:
SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B - Newegg.com

Media Drive:
Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

PSU:
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0 - Newegg.com

Monitor (x2):
Amazon.com: BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch 1ms GTG with HDMI Out ZeroFlicker 2x HDMI LED-Lit Monitor: Computers Accessories

Total:
$1302.91 + (monitors)

Anything else I ought to consider before pulling the trigger? Thanks again for the help.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
corsair psu oems:

AX - seasonic
AXi - flextronics
HXi - CWT
RMi 750w - CWT
RM - CWT, except the 750w - Chicony
CS - Great Wall
CX/CXm - CWT

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Anything else I ought to consider before pulling the trigger? Thanks again for the help.
I would try to spend a few more dollars on the gpu to land an ACX 2.0+ model, or something like the MSI 4G 970, over that particular card, which is their acx 2.0 design. MSI supposedly has decent support as well, haven't ever had to use it. Not a huge deal. I have a pair of the MSI cards in sli I got from amazon warehouse, both have high ASIC scores and are utterly silent, no coil whine. They're great. Would color match that motherboard also, not that that matters.

Againt not a big deal, but this corsair case is only 45 dollars atm, save you a few bucks. It has a window but can just put it on the floor or to your left if you don't care for the internal display.

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 RED LED Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Newegg.com

This case is 70 bucks, but I'm in love with it, and would be my pick for a brand new atx build at the moment, regardless of price.

NZXT S340 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case - Newegg.com

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You should unplug it then hit the power button a few times until the fan stops twitching briefly each time you hit the button. But if the fan is broke its impossible to tell if the caps are discharged.

Or unplug it for a half hour, apparently. That's new. But lol 5 minutes you're lucky you're not dead.
You don't have to hit the switch repeatedly, just once while it's unplugged will drain the caps. I would never work on a PSU with some shady 5 minute requirement, caps can hold a lethal charge for awhile.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist has suggested repeatedly on this thread about doing similar practices. Thanks for being one of many reasons we pay more for hardware for your welfare upgrades.

You have decent advice overall in this thread, but you should quit being a dickbag about your upgrades via scam RMA.
It's not like it costs them much of anything, they're sending out old overstock of stuff they don't sell anymore.

EVGA G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card 02G-P4-2776-KR - Newegg.com

These are what they're sending out to everyone the sends back any 670. It's not like they're sending out something they could actually sell.

The only other upgrade I've gotten from RMAs was my K95, because the first two I got ended up having a quarter of the lights die within 8 months each time. The fact that they upgraded it to an RGB was their call because they stopped making the old ones.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I didn't intentionally break the thing either. It had a squealing fan and ran 6 degrees C hotter than it did when it was new, even after a good cleaning. It was clearly on its way out. If they sell me a 3 year warranty, I'm going to use it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
this whole conversation is moot. do you really think the guy who just dropped 3 Gs on some upgrades is going to be interested in scamming a respectable company like EVGA out of a few bucks? that may be a constructive use of time for a peasant like Mist, but for a well to do gentleman such as myself it isn't worth my personal assistant's time, let alone a second of mine.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
this whole conversation is moot. do you really think the guy who just dropped 3 Gs on some upgrades is going to be interested in scamming a respectable company like EVGA out of a few bucks? that may be a constructive use of time for a peasant like Mist, but for a well to do gentleman such as myself it isn't worth my personal assistant's time, let alone a second of mine.
So the real answer is that thing is a waste of PCIe bandwidth and you're better off not even having it in your computer than using it as a PhysX card.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's not like it costs them much of anything, they're sending out old overstock of stuff they don't sell anymore.

EVGA G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card 02G-P4-2776-KR - Newegg.com

These are what they're sending out to everyone the sends back any 670. It's not like they're sending out something they could actually sell.

The only other upgrade I've gotten from RMAs was my K95, because the first two I got ended up having a quarter of the lights die within 8 months each time. The fact that they upgraded it to an RGB was their call because they stopped making the old ones.
Bitch in one thread about miniumum wage and the government should subsidize companies to pay more. Pull shady shit like this.

FSA all the way. You're part of it.

for those that don't know FSA

Free Shit Army - IE welfare leechers, disability scammers, and people like Mist who scam companies

Izo

Tranny Chaser
q1XUWrW.jpg

Yeah...bitches should be saving up for their Remington scultpure. Damn freeloaders.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's a FSA move and there's a few pages here of people commenting on it. I didn't get to where I am by dicking people or companies out of their shit. She hasn't done shit with her/him/it life and comments on shit as if she were a CEO of a fortune 500 company and has no real life experiences other than reading someone elses shit on the internet and then making comments on how to cheat a company.

Carry on.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How is processing a return on an item with a 3 year warranty a scam? The warranty is part of what you're paying for when they sell you the item. Free from all defects for 3 years.

LOTS of people push extreme overclocks on their cards and then return them when they burn them out. EVGA literally encourages people do to that by explicitly putting it in their FAQ. I've never done anything like that, or purposefully damaged an item to return it.

Besides, I build tons of PCs for people. I have pages of cards registered to my support account on EVGA's website. I pretty much buy EVGA cards for every system I build unless the person is a tardbasket and wants an AMD for some dumb reason. And the main reason I buy their cards is because they have the best RMA policy. That's a business decision on their end, doing hassle-free RMAs in exchange for good customer support ratings from their customers. Maybe it costs them a little more money to handle their RMAs that way, but they make it up in sales and repeat customers.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You don't have to hit the switch repeatedly, just once while it's unplugged will drain the caps. I would never work on a PSU with some shady 5 minute requirement, caps can hold a lethal charge for awhile.
guess i dodged a bullet while also working w/ hold solder. note i soldered a 3 prong female fan connector to it, incase it fails again, i can just unhook (i've seen PSUs that come w/ the connector already and some that are hard wired to the board)

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
any word on how well 2 different video cards work sli in dx12? Is it even enabled yet? My google search sucks for some reason when it comes to this. I want to put my 980ti with my titan for some extra power but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't even work yet.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I -think- it just depends on the chipset or whatever of the card, so you could conceivable use two different ones but I think the Titan and 980 are different? Like GM200 and GK110?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
any word on how well 2 different video cards work sli in dx12? Is it even enabled yet? My google search sucks for some reason when it comes to this. I want to put my 980ti with my titan for some extra power but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't even work yet.
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it being super efficient. Probably less and less efficient, the more different the cards are.

I mean, right now you can get a solid 90-95% performance out of 2 matching cards via SLI/crossfire, I would expect that percent to decrease the further apart the two cards get in architecture/generation.

Like, I wouldn't even consider trying to pair an old 560Ti with a new 980Ti and expect any gains whatsoever. Now, put a 980Ti and a 780Ti together, and sure, I'd expect a boost in performance, but no one knows how much yet. I would highly doubt that just adding any old 2nd card equals a performance boost. Don't stick a 280 in with your 980, lol.