Desktop Computers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol Canada? Free shipping is what the sd post said.
Worse. It is to a US Military address, which is USPS. APO mail is charged as domestic rates, usually to New York. The rest of the journey is free via military air.

So, basically Newegg are trying to charge $77 for USPS Mail to NY.

I have long fallen out with Newegg over their shipping fees to APO. They charge about 3-4x over the actual USPS price (sticker is on the box dumbasses). Then you have places like Amazon free Prime shipping all day everyday. I haven't used Newegg in years.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Worse. It is to a US Military address, which is USPS. APO mail is charged as domestic rates, usually to New York. The rest of the journey is free via military air.

I have long fallen out with Newegg over their shipping fees to APO. They charge about 3-4x over the actual USPS price (sticker is on the box dumbasses). Then you have places like Amazon free Prime shipping all day everyday. I haven't used Newegg in years.
Dont have anyone on base housing you could ship it to?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Na. I am a contractor in the Middle East. I am at least glad someone mentioned the case in the thread. New to me, but looks "perfect in every way!".

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

75bucks at amazon w/ your free shipping like you said
Amazon.com: Fractal Design Define S Gaming Case ?*with Window FD-CA-DEF-S-BK-W: Computers Accessories

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nope. Not sold by Amazon, not Prime eligible.

rrr_img_117063.jpg

rrr_img_117064.jpg

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any good pre-made full system deals that anyone has spotted? Buddy of mine asked me to recommend him a new gaming computer and he's unable to build it himself and I'm unwilling to do it for him.

Seemed to be some nice rigs at iBuyPower. Was thinking of recommending this:Holiday Intel Z170 I5: iBUYPOWER® Gaming PCbut haven't seen too many good full-system deals to compare it to.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quick question. Do SSDs require any special hookups or can I use my pre-existing HDD hookup?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Same exact hookup as traditional hard drives (SATA) as long as you don't buy an mSATA drive, those have to actually mount in a PCI-E slot on your motherboard, like a Video Card would

what you don't want:
840evom-1b.jpg

what you do want:
samsung_ssd840_series_2.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thanks Joeboo. I do believe I have open PCI-e slots does that bus run faster than SATA?

-edit-

Though I haven't seen that type and I assume it is more expensive than the traditional SATA hookup, yeah? I'm looking to get a 1TB drive.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It does run faster than SATA, but I don't know if I would use one if it's going to be your boot drive. Depending on your BIOS and how old your motherboard is, getting mSATA drives to be recognized upon initial bootup can be a little wonky. Especially if you are doing a fresh Windows install on one.

It might be as easy as just flashing your BIOS to a newer version, or it could be really complicated if your motherboard is a few years old, it could require the 3rd party software that comes with the drive to get it working

But as far as performance, an mSATA Samsung 850 Evo will be closer in performance to an 850 Pro than the normal 850 Evo. But you still aren't talking double the performance, or anything crazy, maybe 10-20% performance gains, it's not anything overwhelming noticeable. Maybe your system boots in 10 seconds instead of 12.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Any good pre-made full system deals that anyone has spotted? Buddy of mine asked me to recommend him a new gaming computer and he's unable to build it himself and I'm unwilling to do it for him.

Seemed to be some nice rigs at iBuyPower. Was thinking of recommending this:Holiday Intel Z170 I5: iBUYPOWER® Gaming PCbut haven't seen too many good full-system deals to compare it to.
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to try to build my own and would rather just find a good deal on a prebuilt.

I THINK what I'm looking for is:
i7 processor
SSD
16gb ram
Nvid card with CUDA?

I have a mountain of drone parts in the office and I don't want to add computer parts to the mix, since I haven't built one in 15 years. I'll be lurking in this thread for awhile.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to try to build my own and would rather just find a good deal on a prebuilt.

I THINK what I'm looking for is:
i7 processor
SSD
16gb ram
Nvid card with CUDA?

I have a mountain of drone parts in the office and I don't want to add computer parts to the mix, since I haven't built one in 15 years. I'll be lurking in this thread for awhile.
I've looked around and these iBuyPower holiday deals seem pretty good due to the extras like a free mousepad, mechanical keyboard, headset, etc. along with their little upgrades of doubling your HD space, "upgrading" you to faster RAM, and the upgrades on some of the video card options. That + 5% off with coupon "thanksgiving" makes the prices seem pretty good for the bundle. You'd definitely be better off building it yourself, but if you want to pay to not have the hassle, these seem pretty good and I'll probably use these deals as a recommendation to my friend.

You definitely want an i7 if possible, i5s will do but you can really future proof yourself with an i7. SSDs are mandatory for living the good life imo, but they get expensive fast going up in size. If money is an issue than a smaller 512 GB or less SSD to house your OS and a choice few games and programs is a good idea and then you can just buy a normal HD for actual storage. 16GB of RAM is good but 8GB is probably good enough if you're on a budget and need to find places to make cuts. Definitely recommend an nvidia 960 at the very least and definitely a 970 if you can afford it. BTW, CUDA cores are the processing units in Nvidia cards. They all have them in varying number, the more the better!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Funk. I was in there earlier and saw some good deals. Best yet, at least.

Question on SSD- if I'm processing large data sets (>800 pictures), do I need to have pix4d installed on the SSD for the benefit, or just have the current project and outputs writing to that drive?

Hope that makes sense.....typing real quick on my phone at a gas station.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks Funk. I was in there earlier and saw some good deals. Best yet, at least.

Question on SSD- if I'm processing large data sets (>800 pictures), do I need to have pix4d installed on the SSD for the benefit, or just have the current project and outputs writing to that drive?

Hope that makes sense.....typing real quick on my phone at a gas station.
support says put all that shit on your ssd
Hard Disk

Step 3 is the most impacted by Hard Disk speed, especially using octo cores CPUs, and using a fast SSD increases the performance of step 3.
wtf do you do with this program? (i just googled tech support for it) and how do you take so many pictures?

wait do you mean the installed program itself? once it's "run" and loaded into memory it won't matter, your just compiling all that info w/ cpu and hd. So you're thinking about using the SSD as a big scratch disk?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I think it's time to upgrade storage capacity on my RAID.

Right now I have:

1x 128 GB SSD for boot disk
2x 128 GB SSD in RAID 0 SSD for games/applications
1x 2TB mag drive for storage

I want to replace the RAID with another, pretty much same setup just more storage. The drives are in good condition and I will be using the same RAID controller on my motherboard.

Is there a consumer grade/free utility that's going to accomplish this effectively? I have enough open space on the bigfoot. I don't really know if I have enough SATA power adapters to run both RAIDs simultaneously to directly mirror.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not sure where to put this, but Best Buy put the new Logitech Proteus Mice up for 39.99 (Normally 65$). Its a gaming version of the MX518/G400. Feels similar in the hand, just has more buttons on the side, and mouse wheel has two click directions. Amazing MMO mouse for those (Like me) who can't stand the proper MMO mice with 12+ buttons on the side (And would rather have these more distinct buttons and use Alt/Shift/Ctrl).

Amazon.com: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse with Fully Customizable Surface, Weight and Balance Tuning (910-004074): Computers Accessories

Amazon price matched so for the rest of the day they are up for 40$ (No need to do anything, Amazon already changed the list price), as well as Logitech mechanical keyboards for 40$ (Blue switches though, so loud).