Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
iBuyPower - $200 MIR + 5% Off Skylake Gaming PC - Slickdeals.net

This is actually pretty interesting. $950 even after $200 MIR and 5% off. 6600k, 970, 32GB of DDR4, and a billion freebies worth almost nothing. No sales tax. hrmmmm.
Seems like a good deal overall other than the Hard Drive. Customize that and make sure you put an SSD in it.

It's an absolute must-have, and you'll want it to come with one. If you don't want to take the effort to build a PC, you probably don't want to take the effort to reinstall windows on a new SSD and screw with that after the PC arrives. Honestly, thats like 2/3 of the effort of building a PC anymore, installing Windows.

Either go pre-built + SSD, or build your own. Adding an SSD after the fact defeats the whole purpose of a pre-built

Sterling

El Presidente
Honestly at this point building yourself has become mostly moronproofed and it takes longer to install Windows than it does to actually assemble the components. Plus when you build it yourself you won't get random shitty components.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I was going to get that one for my second monitor. Need to build a viable home office now that I'm going to be working 20-30 hours of overtime a week from home.

iannis

Musty Nester
I usually just get a Samsung and call it a day.

I think my past 4 monitors have been Samsung. They haven't given me a reason to go look elsewhere. But I don't need anything specific out of a monitor beyond, "It needs to work and I don't want to replace it for a few years."

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Gigabyte is solid. I've owned their motherboards and their video cards, both are good products

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok computer bros, since Im getting a bonus this xmas i upped my build price like 500.

PC Hound Part List

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 6M($289.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard:ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO($184.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) TridentZ Series($132.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card:SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 100362SR($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:EVGA 750W 120-G1-0750-XR($92.1 @ Amazon)
Storage:SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case:NZXT CA-N450W-M1($129.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:NZXT RL-KRX61-01($119.99 @ B&H)
Total:$1,290.02
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated byPC Hound

Main point of this build is the mobo and cpu wont have to be upgraded in a long time and will be good for games coming out in the near-distant future. 6600k is neck and neck with the 6700k on all the benchmarks I saw also, seems like a big waste of money. I will just wait till next year to get a better card when the next batch comes out (and lowers all the current cards prices). I mean dx12 is just around the corner and I see zero reason to shell out major bucks for a graphics card until that happens, just seems like the worst of times to go big in that respect. This r9 is right there at price/performance as a 970 and is less than 200$, so cant beat that, plus amd cards just got a huge boost with the latest windows 10 drivers.

Plus this rig will run everything in 1080p on my monitor at a nice framerate, so maybe when there is more for 4k monitors and graphics cards can handle that I will go the extra mile and upgrade to both. Plus for the games I play, this will be more than enough for now. As for the case, well, it looks sexy and is a nice mix of lighting and bells and whistles without being too over the top.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gigabyte motherboards are great as long as they have Intel or Qualcomm NICs.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ok computer bros, since Im getting a bonus this xmas i upped my build price like 500.

PC Hound Part List

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 6M($289.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard:ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO($184.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) TridentZ Series($132.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card:SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 100362SR($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:EVGA 750W 120-G1-0750-XR($92.1 @ Amazon)
Storage:SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case:NZXT CA-N450W-M1($129.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:NZXT RL-KRX61-01($119.99 @ B&H)
Total:$1,290.02
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated byPC Hound

Main point of this build is the mobo and cpu wont have to be upgraded in a long time and will be good for games coming out in the near-distant future. 6600k is neck and neck with the 6700k on all the benchmarks I saw also, seems like a big waste of money. I will just wait till next year to get a better card when the next batch comes out (and lowers all the current cards prices). I mean dx12 is just around the corner and I see zero reason to shell out major bucks for a graphics card until that happens, just seems like the worst of times to go big in that respect. This r9 is right there at price/performance as a 970 and is less than 200$, so cant beat that, plus amd cards just got a huge boost with the latest windows 10 drivers.

Plus this rig will run everything in 1080p on my monitor at a nice framerate, so maybe when there is more for 4k monitors and graphics cards can handle that I will go the extra mile and upgrade to both. Plus for the games I play, this will be more than enough for now. As for the case, well, it looks sexy and is a nice mix of lighting and bells and whistles without being too over the top.
I'd pony up the extra $50 for a 970 on the video card front. Quite a bit more powerful than the 290(which is a 2+ year old card at this point). If budget is an issue, scale back that CPU cooler, you don't need to spend $120 on a CPU water cooler. If you really want water for the low noise factor, decent water coolers can be had for ~$60, and if you're purely after performance, a good air cooler can do the same for half the price(or less) as well. I say this as someone who owns an H100i water cooler...I love how quiet it is but the performance is underwhelming.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll probably splurge on the biggest card that comes out post dx12 in 2016, which should put this system where I want it to be for years. Or even a cheaper 980ti or something when their price inevitably goes down. For the games Im currently playing and with the monitor I have now, this card will be fine and run at ultra with 60fps. I just wanted everything else to be future proofed for awhile, because it seems like with dx12 around the corner it will be better just to wait till games and the video card manufacturers can take full advantage of it. So this card will do a fine job getting me by till then, and insane price/performance on it still.

Rali

Trakanon Raider
Hi all,

Am currently using a Q6600 and a GTX 580 and while it's been faithful, it's time for an upgrade. I've put together the list below and am after some advice/pointers.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor(?205.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler(?67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard:Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard(?89.23 @ More Computers)
Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory(?75.98 @ More Computers)
Video Card:MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card(?264.97 @ Aria PC)
Total:?704.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-29 12:33 GMT+0000

I already have 2 128Gb Sandisk SSD's which I plan on RAID 0'ing and using for OS and whichever game I am currently playing, and have a Corsair TX650 psu. My top budget is about ?750

Does this seem like a decent build?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That 390 is going to get real dated real fast once Pascal & Greenland start hitting shelves in Q2 next year. We're kind of on the cusp of a generational leap forward right now in GPUs. I'd go with something cheaper for now and swap it out next summer if I were you. This is of course in the interest of build longevity of that matters to you.

What games are you playing? What resolution is your monitor? What frame rate are you going for? I bet you could get away with something quite a bit cheaper than that 390 to hold you over until the next gen of GPUs come out. I don't think the 390s are a good value proposition for 1080p60fps gaming right now.

EDIT: I mean, even if you stay at the same price point for your GPU, you can get a GTX 970 which is a good 10% faster than that 390. Unless you are running a multi monitor/high resolution setup you won't utilize all that VRAM on the AMD card, and you'd be paying a premium for it. Like I said though, I'd just grab a GTX 960 for ?150 for now and swap it out in the summer for something beefier.

Rali

Trakanon Raider
Gameswise, FO4, Elite, a little bit of Rift and EQ2 now and then. Am looking to build a machine I can keep up with games on running at a decent quality. However, my monitor is only 1680x1050 at the moment, and will be next on the list to upgrade.

With what you said though, regarding new GPU's next year. I guess I ought to go with the 960 and look at upgrading both monitor and GPU next year. With the money I'll save on the lower GPU, I can bump the RAM up to 32Gb in this build and not have to worry about upgrading that for some time!

Cheers!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Im in the same boat as you are. The imminent Pascal release has been hamstringing me for a good 5 months.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldnt worry about the RAM and get yourself a better monitor. And let me know if you find the 6600k anywhere for sale that isnt being price gouged due to it being sold out. Looked all morning and its at least 60-70 dollars higher now that its on backorder everywhere

edit: Oh nm youre in UK, idk about availability over there.