Desktop Computers

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
support says put all that shit on your ssd

wtf do you do with this program? (i just googled tech support for it) and how do you take so many pictures?

wait do you mean the installed program itself? once it's "run" and loaded into memory it won't matter, your just compiling all that info w/ cpu and hd. So you're thinking about using the SSD as a big scratch disk?
Wow, I didn't even notice that part in their support pages. Thanks Lanx.
And I use it to stitch together photos taken from "drones ", to make maps and 3d models.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So where all the amazing deals at, haven't really seen anything that exciting yet.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I got these a few weeks ago, they sound nice but I haven't really used them because they're too tight. Do not buy if you have a big head.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Decided I'm going to build a new PC. I have a spare windows 7 I can upgrade to 10 from an old laptop. I have an SSD from my current PC(going to turn it into a media center).

I need:
mobo/CPU combo. 6700k or a 5820k probably.
Power supply
Case
cooler
storage HD
Video card.

OR, I could just get this:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8281963-hp-e...V2#commentsBox

Roughly 1100 after tax. But I don't get to futureproof myself with my purchases and the power supply seems questionable.

Thoughts?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For 16GB/SSD/980, you're looking at more like $2K.

I have 2 Alienware laptops and they're awesome. My nearly 6 year old M17x R2 is still capable of running current games, though not at Ultra quality anymore. The only sticky issue with Alienware is the support: You're getting a Dell, so remember that. You might get slightly preferential support treatment, but it's still a Dell, and you still have to go through the checklist when something's broken before they'll send a tech.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It seems like I'm looking at about $2k for a desktop with the same specs as well (since I'm not interested in building my own) since I don't have a monitor, speakers, etc.

Thinking more seriously about just picking up an Alienware laptop. Something else I didn't think about until today- While I can process jobs and then use my current laptop to show examples in meetings/presentations, loading 2GB images or 3d models is a little too slow to be able to show them off. I guess a laptop would be a better option for me, and the prices LOOK close enough for the same specs. Gah, I hate computer shopping.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decided I'm going to build a new PC. I have a spare windows 7 I can upgrade to 10 from an old laptop. I have an SSD from my current PC(going to turn it into a media center).

I need:
mobo/CPU combo. 6700k or a 5820k probably.
Power supply
Case
cooler
storage HD
Video card.

OR, I could just get this:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8281963-hp-e...V2#commentsBox

Roughly 1100 after tax. But I don't get to futureproof myself with my purchases and the power supply seems questionable.

Thoughts?
Just get this instead, it covers your bases and you get the SSD, a good mobo, and an 750w good PS

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Does it have to be Alienware? Never been a fan of their styling, nor the fact you're paying for name recognition. I wouldn't say they're bad, even with Dell arguably reducing quality. Just that other companies make gaming laptops as well. Broadening your search opens up more options and more deals this time of year.

Looking at the system requirements of the software you're wanting to run you don't really have to pay a premium for a top-tier gaming graphics card. Seems the processor/ram/ssd is as or more important. So, basically you don't need a gaming laptop, but a higher end business one? Unless you're planning on gaming too?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Does it have to be Alienware? Never been a fan of their styling, nor the fact you're paying for name recognition. I wouldn't say they're bad, even with Dell arguably reducing quality. Just that other companies make gaming laptops as well. Broadening your search opens up more options and more deals this time of year.

Looking at the system requirements of the software you're wanting to run you don't really have to pay a premium for a top-tier gaming graphics card. Seems the processor/ram/ssd is as or more important. So, basically you don't need a gaming laptop, but a higher end business one? Unless you're planning on gaming too?
Definitely doesn't need to be Alienware, those just looked like the best deals to me. I really have no idea, so I'm open to suggestions.
I'd like to do some gaming on it, but I'm not one of those guys that notices the difference between 30fps and 60fps...or cares about running at ULTRA.

I would like to be able to set up a 2nd screen in the future. Is that typically possible with laptops?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's a good benchmark for CPUs I can look at? I only game, I don't OC, I have 1 monitor(which may have a browser open with multiple tabs).

I'm looking at this :
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so wanted decent performance without paying for shit I don't need. Upgrading from a i7 920.

Think I'm set on :

The above CPU +COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com

MB:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

And RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R - Newegg.com

Instead of using the other $250 I had in budget for + goooder(which I most likely don't even need), will just keep that and buy a upgrade to my gforce 760 next month or early next year.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
iBuyPower - $200 MIR + 5% Off Skylake Gaming PC - Slickdeals.net

This is actually pretty interesting. $950 even after $200 MIR and 5% off. 6600k, 970, 32GB of DDR4, and a billion freebies worth almost nothing. No sales tax. hrmmmm.

rrr_img_117325.png