Desktop Computers

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So should I just go ahead and upgrade to win 10 then just install it with a flash drive on the new system? I still have my old win 7 cd, but I dont even have an internal cd drive

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yep, I have about 8 of these in my system(4 on my H100i radiator alone), they're great
Does that make it silent? Didn't people complain the H100i was noisy at some point? Was that the stock fans alone or boiling water or whatnot?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Weird about the fans in the Air 540 being squeaky. I've used that case two times and had no issues. I'll have to check out the Cougars on my next build. I've been too lazy and just picked up the AF120's from MicroCenter and they've worked fine for me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does that make it silent? Didn't people complain the H100i was noisy at some point? Was that the stock fans alone or boiling water or whatnot?
Yeah the stock fans on the H100i are garbage, that's the only noise issue with the device. Replace them with good fans(you really only need 2, but I went with 4 for overkill) and the thing is super quiet.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I can attest that the stock fans that came with my H110i GTX are fucking loud as shit past about 40%. Or maybe not loud, but the sound they make is obnoxious anyways. And near as I can tell, fan speed doesn't seem to impact my CPU temps at load. I've been meaning to troubleshoot it, but haven't had the time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I honestly see no cooling difference between fans at 100%, and about 50% on the H100i, so I got the quietest fans I could find and I locked them in to never running over 50% anyways. Since I use 4 in a push/pull configuration they actually rarely even go over 25%, that usually keeps me plenty cool unless I've been gaming for hours on end, then they might bump up to 50%.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, makes me think that the pump and/or cooling plate or whatever it's called are holding the radiator and fans back.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I honestly see no cooling difference between fans at 100%, and about 50% on the H100i, so I got the quietest fans I could find and I locked them in to never running over 50% anyways. Since I use 4 in a push/pull configuration they actually rarely even go over 25%, that usually keeps me plenty cool unless I've been gaming for hours on end, then they might bump up to 50%.
I've got nearly 5yr old(more?) H100 w/ stock fans at 45% on speed fan, silent. They only kick up 1 or 2 times a day if i'm overloading my system w/ stuff, even then, it's just for 1min, just to get rid of that massive amount of thermal heat and it goes back down to 45%, even on prime95, never stays full throttle.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So like an idiot I spilled my drink on my keyboard last night and rip keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions for cheap mechanical keyboards for gaming? I don't really know much on the subject and I'm kind of broke as fuck atm.

Is something like this okay?Amazon.com: Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Black): Computers Accessories

Or is there anything better in the range?
is this the type of switch you want? a cherry green is clicky(loud) and tactile(you feel a bump), different switch colors have different properties, also i think these are chinese cherries? (fake) but have been tested to work just as well.

i'll be happy to explain more in detail if you need it, but yea for that price of 40bucks? looks good, i'll hop on amazon and check out the selection and see.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea when I have the fans set to low rpms everything is quiet and nice, it's only if stuff has to run faster that they sound obnoxious. I've noticed the same thing with the corsair cooler though, having the fans locked at almost no rpms doesn't seem to change my temps very much and it still idles at like ~25c and rarely goes over 60c during any kind of gaming, so what does it really matter how slow the fans are running you know?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
is this the type of switch you want? a cherry green is clicky(loud) and tactile(you feel a bump), different switch colors have different properties, also i think these are chinese cherries? (fake) but have been tested to work just as well.

i'll be happy to explain more in detail if you need it, but yea for that price of 40bucks? looks good, i'll hop on amazon and check out the selection and see.
After doing a little research I think I'd prefer browns

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So like an idiot I spilled my drink on my keyboard last night and rip keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions for cheap mechanical keyboards for gaming? I don't really know much on the subject and I'm kind of broke as fuck atm.

Is something like this okay?Amazon.com: Redragon K552 KUMARA LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Black): Computers Accessories

Or is there anything better in the range?
It's looking like I'm going to have to suck it up and spend in the $75-100 range. Anyone have either of these (or anything similar) and have any feedback?

Amazon.com: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard: Computers Accessories(I would probably get the standard stealth not the ultimate, the backlight isn't worth the $15)

Amazon.com: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Brown Switches: Computers Accessories(I've never had a tenkeyless keyboard, and I can't decide how much I actually use the num pad)

Amazon.com: CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX BROWN Switches and Fully LED Backlit: Computers Accessories(Same as the above, but kind of still has the num pad for $10 more)

Amazon.com: Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Tactile High-Speed Keys - Black: Computers Accessories

Any help is greatly appreciated

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Spend just a tad more and get the Corsair K70. The brown switch version is actually on sale right now, marked down to $109 from the usual $129

Amazon.com: Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Backlit Red LED (CH-9000114-NA): Computers Accessories

IMHO the Corsair K70 line of keyboards are pretty much the standard that all other mechanical gaming keyboards are held up to. I've had a Vengeance K70 for a year or so now and its phenomenal. I use it for hours, every single day, and it still looks brand new. It's a beast.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Spend just a tad more and get the Corsair K70. The brown switch version is actually on sale right now, marked down to $109 from the usual $129

Amazon.com: Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Backlit Red LED (CH-9000114-NA): Computers Accessories

IMHO the Corsair K70 line of keyboards are pretty much the standard that all other mechanical gaming keyboards are held up to. I've had a Vengeance K70 for a year or so now and its phenomenal. I use it for hours, every single day, and it still looks brand new. It's a beast.
brown version