Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what would be the simplest way to allow my windows 10 machine to remote desktop into this Ubuntu 14.04 server?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Thank you for contacting us. I am afraid that we cannot install any "test version / license free" of windows. However, you will be able to install Windows Server and use your own license by starting an IPMI session directly from your client panel, free of charges. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate!

Wutdo

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ubuntu server has no gui by default, it's purely command line. If you have IPMI console access then someplace is your hosting account is the IP and logins for the IPMI, it's just IP-based KVM and is like having physical access to the server. Can mount isos with it and install whatever you want.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
apparently windows server doesn't work great with seedboxes... is this correct? in that case i might just stick out the Ubuntu shit

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That makes no sense. A "seedbox" is just a server that you run deluge on and seed/upload torrents. The OS is irrelevant.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
970 ordered, thanks guys!
What a fucking adventure. lmao.

So I probably should have mentioned that I had a Dell - yeah yeah I know but it was free. Anyway, the dell has 6 pins and the 970 needs dual 8 pins. And of course, with Dells they have their own proprietary power supply.

So grats on the wife getting my old PC and grats on me getting a new PC.

Nothing incredible but..

MSI Raider X99A with a i7-5820K
32GB Memory
512GB Samsung Pro 950 M.2 SSD
GTX 970 (duh)
Windows 10.. because for some reason Windows 7 does not see the 950 M.2 SSD. Sadface.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's a fun one to try to explain to the spouse

"Uhh honey, I need a new computer. I bought a $300 upgrade and it won't work in my old computer so now I need to spend another $2000 so that the $300 doesn't go to waste..."

That's the point when my wife gives me the epic eye roll and then I have to keep my mouth shut the next time she wants to buy a new couch for no good reason

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yes but then you run into the problem of trusting a Dell power supply at that point.
It's probably made in the same factory that Seasonic, Corsair and a half dozen other brands are. But yeah, it's probably marginal capacity wise for a 970.