Desktop Computers

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Uh, V-Sync eliminates tearing, you don't need G/F-sync for that. The problem is, V-Sync introduces it's own set of problems in lower frame rates and display lag, which is what those solutions address. If you want a lag free gaming experience without getting an expensive monitor, you can just turn off V-Sync. Some people don't notice the tearing. For me it's obnoxious as hell, in any game type.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So, I got the new Origin PC today. And I've spent the last two hours trying to get it booted up.

The first time I tried to boot, it never actually got to the Windows screen and all of the LED's were flashing (they're still flashing two hours later; kill me) bright white.

So, I call support and he walks me through like 4 different methods of trying to fix the issue (he never actually told me what the issue was), none of which worked. Although, we did get it to the Windows screen if I took off the SLI and plugged the monitor into the second GPU. However, the flashing lights remained.

One of the steps he wanted me to follow was going to a program in my Start Menu called "Recover Sentinal", which I guess is their windows recovery software or something?

The only problem being that when I tried to restart the computer, after he got off the gd call knowing the issue wasn't fixed, I'm now stuck in an infinite loop where the PC is trying to fix itself. It attempts to boot, fails, tries again, goes to a blue Automatic Repair screen. If I try to restart from this screen, it tries to "Diagnose" the issue and then fails, resetting the loop and starting over.

FUCK!

I had some fairly similar stuff happen to me, end up being one of my hard drives dying. Oddly, it wasn't the hard drive with the OS on it but for some reason it was causing all sorts of fuckery. Try messing around with the hard drives maybe?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I had some fairly similar stuff happen to me, end up being one of my hard drives dying. Oddly, it wasn't the hard drive with the OS on it but for some reason it was causing all sorts of fuckery. Try messing around with the hard drives maybe?

After about 3 hours, half of that on the phone w support, I finally got it working. Mostly on my own.

So, now I get to ship the other monstrosity back to Origin.

Would rate experience: 3/10 #notworthit

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
And for the record, for any of you guys that work in Customer Support:

Don't ever suggest to a customer that's having a bad experience that they could get upgrades in their replacement product AND THEN NOT PUT FUCKING UPGRADES IN THEIR REPLACEMENT PRODUCT.

Origin PC Sucks

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Stories like this are why I just take my time to build my own, even though I don't really feel like it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There usually is not much wrong with prebuilt PC's. Hell i used to sell desktops/laptops back in the 90s and the amount of returns i'd get would be 1 out of 500. Seriously i would know b/c i was 100% commission based, and that meant i lost out on my paycheck, so i knew if i got a return or not, this also meant i steered customers away from the junk $500 pcs and just forced everyone to buy a Sony, why? the number 1 reason is i got zero returns, i really didn't give a shit if they liked the PC or not.

But not everyone can build a PC or even has time for it, you really can't just "LEGO" up a PC and hope for the best. You're going to be doing research, you're going to be going on forums and go "Um, guys i trust, does all this shit i buy work out?".

Then you have to unbox everything, and hope shit works.

Even the most seasoned of us, who don't believe in Zombie Jesus, say a fucking prayer after assembling and b4 hitting the power button.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still worth doing yourself, I think. Today's PCs are pretty hard to fuck up because you can't really plug things in where they don't belong anymore. Aside from doing something dumb like buying an AMD for an Intel MB or DDR3 for a DDR4 board, etc.. it is pretty smooth sailing. The biggest issue with the pre-builts is they typically sell you a brand name CPU and Vid Card but are left with a total crapshoot of generic PSU, Motherboard (some proprietary), and RAM. Then you typically pay nosebleed markup for the privilege of those generic parts.

Sure, you can get DOA hardware that can be difficult to isolate but those days of DOA parts seem more and more remote. I have built countless PCs for myself, friends, and family and the last DOA thing I had was maybe 8-10 years back. If you were saving a mere $100 on a mom and pop email PC, sure a Dell might be a fine choice. But these Alienware / Origin systems? I swear to god, every time I price one up they are literally 2x the price or more of simply building it yourself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But these Alienware / Origin systems? I swear to god, every time I price one up they are literally 2x the price or more of simply building it yourself.

That's b/c they are "Boutique" builds.

I'm not justifying shit, but from Origins point of view, they created their own case and their own shitty water cooler, so they can charge double for funsies.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
But not everyone can build a PC or even has time for it, you really can't just "LEGO" up a PC and hope for the best. You're going to be doing research, you're going to be going on forums and go "Um, guys i trust, does all this shit i buy work out?".

Today, building a PC is precisely lego. Probably easier and quicker to put together a working PC than a medium to large sized lego product.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can still spec your PC without their custom watercooling getup and pay out the ass for it.

Hell, here is the most generic base config from Origin:

650 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G2
GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI
ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 1151 Socket
Intel Core i5 6500 Quad-Core 3.2GHz (3.6GHz TurboBoost)
Single 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
8GB DDR4 Powered by Kingston 2666MHz (2 X 4GB)
MS Windows 10 Home
250GB Samsung 750 EVO Series
24X CD/DVD Burner
LED lights and Case

All of this for the Origin price of $1782.

Here is the Amazon build it myself price:
650 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G2 = $99
GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI = $130
Equivalent sealed 120 CPU watercooler = $75
Intel Core i5 6500 = $205
GeForce GTX 950 = $145
8GB DDR4 Kingston 2666MHz (2 X 4GB) = $53
MS Windows 10 Home (OEM) = $110 .. you can buy this on reddit for $20 though.
250GB Samsung 750 EVO = $73
24X CD/DVD Burner = $20
Case = $200-$300 depends on your preference

Total of $1160 or 35% cheaper with median $250 case price and a full $110 retail copy of windows.

Realistically you could get this down near $800 using reddit software for a W10 copy and reusing your existing PC case. That's less than half price of the Origin build.

*Edit* Just think of the difference in price. Origin is sticking you with a last gen 950 GTX. You could actually buy a 1080 GTX and still have money left over. The gaming performance difference between the two systems would be staggering.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Today, building a PC is precisely lego. Probably easier and quicker to put together a working PC than a medium to large sized lego product.

My PC build last weekend = about 2 hours because I was watching football and drinking beer while I did it (probably 45 minutes if I wasn't distracted)

Assembling a bookshelf from IKEA for my wife last month = 4 goddamn hours of human torture and self-loathing.

A PC is much easier than assembling a medium-sized piece of furniture from IKEA

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Im looking to upgrade my Computer. I already go the new SSD, and the next step is memory.

I have a stock Asus z77
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard-Newegg.com

and a regular
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K-Newegg.com (ivy bridge)

My current memory is
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ-Newegg.com x2 to total 8 GB

Im looking to go up to 16GB.

What speed should i stay at, I normally don't overclock at all.

So, its 1600 the speed i should stay at due to the Ivy bridge, or can i go higher than that? Is going higher a futility as the CPU memory controller has a 1600 limitation?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Im looking to upgrade my Computer. I already go the new SSD, and the next step is memory.

I have a stock Asus z77
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard-Newegg.com

and a regular
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K-Newegg.com (ivy bridge)

My current memory is
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ-Newegg.com x2 to total 8 GB

Im looking to go up to 16GB.

What speed should i stay at, I normally don't overclock at all.

So, its 1600 the speed i should stay at due to the Ivy bridge, or can i go higher than that? Is going higher a futility as the CPU memory controller has a 1600 limitation?

The speed gains from memory are minimal with z77 so I'd stay with 1600 memory and just add 8 more gigs. That's what I did for like 38 buck. I have the same motherboard as you except the matx version.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, what Flipmode said. I have an i5 3570k with 1866 memory, and there is a zero percent performance gain in benchmarks when I clock it at 1600 vs 1833.

Just stick to 1600. Only buy faster if it's on sale and cheaper for some reason(but it's still going to run at 1600 to match your current memory)

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That's b/c they are "Boutique" builds.

I'm not justifying shit, but from Origins point of view, they created their own case and their own shitty water cooler, so they can charge double for funsies.

Pretty much.

It's been an expensive lesson though.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My ssd just arrived. I open my pc and I realize I have 4 hdd and a CD already. Time to move stuff around.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
does your case not have ssd mounting points? usually you can just mount it on the side of the case? or are you out of cables?