Desktop Computers

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - TP-Link

Anyone have experience with these? Need to wire up a non-wired room and I really don't feel like running physical wire, but I'll do it if these don't actually work well. Reviews seem to be all over the place.
If you can, buy a router like the Asus AC68U and run a line into the router in AP mode. Powerline adapters are hit and miss and highly depends on how your house was wired when it was built. It doesn't hurt to try though since it's a cheaper solution.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I got a new cheap headset. It works OK when plugged in, but my other speakers then go mute of course. The problem is my computer is like 15 feet away from where I sit and use the computer. Anyway in windows 7 to be able to switch between the two without just unplugging the headset. The headset is USB and the speakers come off the regular speaker output.

So basically I want to leave speakers and headset plugged up and be able to switch between them without having to plug/unplug the headset.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I got a new cheap headset. It works OK when plugged in, but my other speakers then go mute of course. The problem is my computer is like 15 feet away from where I sit and use the computer. Anyway in windows 7 to be able to switch between the two without just unplugging the headset. The headset is USB and the speakers come off the regular speaker output.

So basically I want to leave speakers and headset plugged up and be able to switch between them without having to plug/unplug the headset.

Right click the speaker icon in your taskbar down next to the clock in the lower right corner. Right click -> playback devices >set as default(whichever device you currently want sound to come out of, speakers, headphones, whatever). This might require restarting whatever program you are currently using, for the new sound source to take effect.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My ssd just arrived. I open my pc and I realize I have 4 hdd and a CD already. Time to move stuff around.
you honestly could use double sided tape, or just be a brute and leave it dangling from the sata/power cable

Check to see if you don't have SSD side mount options on case or behind motherboard, or near powersupply.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
you honestly could use double sided tape, or just be a brute and leave it dangling from the sata/power cable

Check to see if you don't have SSD side mount options on case or behind motherboard, or near powersupply.

The little velcro Command tabs for hanging paintings on the wall work really well too. Easy to apply, are strong as hell, and peel back off with no residue if you ever need to move it.

Hell, I have my Microtik router stuck to my basement wall with a couple of them

hanging.jpg

Borzak

Right click the speaker icon in your taskbar down next to the clock in the lower right corner. Right click -> playback devices >set as default(whichever device you currently want sound to come out of, speakers, headphones, whatever). This might require restarting whatever program you are currently using, for the new sound source to take effect.

Thanks I tried googleing it and I got some strange results or couldn't word it properly.

Borzak

Spoke too soon lol. Somehow I disabled the speaker part of the headphone and unplugging/plugging in again doesn't fix it. Microphone still works tho. I'll delve deeper.

Edit - fix it kinda.

I don't get the option to make as default device for either the speakers or the headphones, but I get it for other stuff I don't have physically attached at the moment.

Got it finally after I disabled some devices I don't actually have.

Luddite in action.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Anyone have experience with these? Need to wire up a non-wired room and I really don't feel like running physical wire, but I'll do it if these don't actually work well. Reviews seem to be all over the place.

just got a cable running through the house, will run cat5 up through the attic sometime in the next couple weeks. Just didn't seem like latency and loss issues would be worth it.

Got my build complete. Took about 15 minutes to unbox / unpackage everything, 1 hour or so to build, 15 minutes for OS, about 30 minutes to break down and get rid of all the trash, and fucking four hours of windows updates doing whatever the fuck it does while it looks for updates.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Need an opinion(s). I've been using my desktop as a Plex server and my have been getting all of our DVDs into the desktop. We hit a point where storage needs to be upgraded. I'm considering building a small box just to run Plex and house the movies. I need about 4TB of storage and would prefer the would be mirrored so I don't run the risk of losing a drive and having to rip ~800 DVDs again. I already have an OS available so I just need the hardware. Here is what I built out but I wanted to see what you guys think. I'd like to keep this option under $500.

PCPartPicker part list: FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core, N200 MicroATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master DK9-7E52A-0L-GP CPU Cooler ($11.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.79 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.91 @ Newegg)
Total: $475.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-27 17:30 EDT-0400

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
What's the best video card around 90-120$ ? Computer currently sucks but don't really want to buy a whole new one since there are no good games out. But my current card is from 2011 so yeaah

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I know you already followed up with this, but yeah I use these in my house. They work great in my experience, never had any issue at all. The only issue was that even though it is rated for 500 mbs the port was only 10/100 so I had to step up to like the 600 version or something in order to get a 10/100/1000 port on it and do GigE. But I get full speed to my desktop on the other side of the house from the router.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The little velcro Command tabs for hanging paintings on the wall work really well too. Easy to apply, are strong as hell, and peel back off with no residue if you ever need to move it.

Hell, I have my Microtik router stuck to my basement wall with a couple of them

+1 for this. I use it all the hell over the place. One of my switches...

iBQyTE4.jpg

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Video update from when I got a broken PC to replace my broken PC. I forgot to post the video.

Borzak

My motherboard literally melted Sunday night. Smelled something funny and before I could get the case open it was really letting the smoke out. That was interesting. At least my Antec case was not damaged and my drives are OK. On the MB where one of the major chips was pretty scorched, I guess either the north bridge or south bridge. Way out of date computer I just use for browsing but it lasted 6 years.

Sad part is the only computer I have here at this house has my moms keyboard that curves in the middle. As a touch typist it sucks.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Not that I'm blaming you for it or anything, sounds like a fluke accident, but I'm curious: Did you have two sticks of ram or four sticks of ram in?

Borzak

I don't even know. I built it about 10 years ago and opened it up about once a year to suck out the dust. At least one of the caps had blown from the 30 seconds I looked at it, no idea if it did that before the meltdown or during.