Desktop Computers

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but those are TFT not IPS. I have gotten used to the great color presentation with IPS which is so much better than traditional TFT.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd take 144hz in overwatch over ips myself. I get like 240 average fps on ultra settings and it's fucking glorious with my 1070. Sometimes the game changes settings to 60 fps max and I want to end my life on the spot.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
FYI, heres a lot of good info comparing CPUs and their effect on gaming.

Compilation of information on i3 vs i5 vs i7, Sandybridge vs Skylake and RAM speed in CPU intensive games • /r/buildapc

GTA5 sees an i5 2500k at 58FPS on a Titan X, and i5 6600k is 72FPS on a Titan X

Witcher 3 is 75fps to 92fps on the same 2 processors, Far Cry 4 is 77 to 90, Asassins Creed unity is 64 to 76, WAtch Dogs is 54 to 63, etc

So GTA5 sees a 24% performance boost, Witcher 3 is 22% FC4 is 17%, etc.

It looks like though, theres actually decent gain going from an i5 6600k to an i7 6700k, as much as 10-15% gains in some games. i7 is more of a boost than I expected, honestly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's....actually pretty fucking surprising. Last couple CPU generations the gap between an i5 and an i7 in terms of fps was typically like 5-10 frames at most, but some of those numbers in that post are crazy.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
gsync just makes sure your monitor refresh it in sync with your fps, so you don't get frame lag, tearing, etc... Which is my explanation in like 20 words or less. It matters but if you can frame lock and never fall below 144 fps on a 144 hz then you don't need it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FYI, heres a lot of good info comparing CPUs and their effect on gaming.

Compilation of information on i3 vs i5 vs i7, Sandybridge vs Skylake and RAM speed in CPU intensive games • /r/buildapc

GTA5 sees an i5 2500k at 58FPS on a Titan X, and i5 6600k is 72FPS on a Titan X

Witcher 3 is 75fps to 92fps on the same 2 processors, Far Cry 4 is 77 to 90, Asassins Creed unity is 64 to 76, WAtch Dogs is 54 to 63, etc

So GTA5 sees a 24% performance boost, Witcher 3 is 22% FC4 is 17%, etc.

It looks like though, theres actually decent gain going from an i5 6600k to an i7 6700k, as much as 10-15% gains in some games. i7 is more of a boost than I expected, honestly.
This is all at 1080p though, right?

At higher resolutions, the stress is going to be on the GPU, now on how fast the CPU can feed it.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
My Win 7 install is acting up. Every morning I'm greeted to windows failing to boot after installing an update overnight. I have to go through some repair and/or F8 > boot with last known stable configuration every morning. This is most likely due to me having a not exactly above board Win7 install. I figure I may as well take the opportunity to jump to win 10.

Is this the sub reddit people recommend for cheap keys?

Marketplace for Microsoft Software • /r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Having never bought from here, I'm a bit scetchy on pulling the trigger. Has anyone had problems with keys? Is there a seller you would recommend? I imagine avoid credit/debit cards and do paypal?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I bought a win 10 key and an Office 2016 Key from the reddit site last month, everything went through just fine. Had no problems at all. PM'd the person on Reddit, told him what I wanted, he sent me an invoice for the payment via Paypal, I paid it, and I had my registration keys within the hour. Super easy, and both Win 10 Pro and Office 16 only cost me like $70 combined.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So buying my GTX 1070 today and the Hard Drive. I run dual 24" Dell IPS's with DVI. I notice there is only one DVI port on the 1070 so I will be switching to Display port. Anything I need to know here or pretty straight forward?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My Win 7 install is acting up. Every morning I'm greeted to windows failing to boot after installing an update overnight. I have to go through some repair and/or F8 > boot with last known stable configuration every morning. This is most likely due to me having a not exactly above board Win7 install. I figure I may as well take the opportunity to jump to win 10.

Having never bought from here, I'm a bit scetchy on pulling the trigger. Has anyone had problems with keys? Is there a seller you would recommend? I imagine avoid credit/debit cards and do paypal?

I've bought several windows and office keys from s5ean on that reddit. Only had an issue with 1 key not working and he had a new one for me within an hour. Never had any other issues.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the input. I picked up some keys for s5ean.

About to wipe and reinstall. Hopefully see you all on the other side

edit: incoming stupid questions in the win 10 thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So buying my GTX 1070 today and the Hard Drive. I run dual 24" Dell IPS's with DVI. I notice there is only one DVI port on the 1070 so I will be switching to Display port. Anything I need to know here or pretty straight forward?
Nothing important.

Displayport can autodetect when the display is on or off. If you don't turn both monitors on all the time, I would use displayport for the secondary monitor, that way Windows will automatically turn off the extended desktop when its not powered on. But that's like basically splitting hairs nitpicky at that point.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok.

Man this thing rocks. Everything is complete and runs like a champ. Witcher 3 on PC maxed out compared to PS4, holy shit.... Just... holy shit. at 60 FPS with hairworks on everything maxed out.

New 4tb drive is installed and I took out the other 2 drives, SSD is the same. I am going to use one drive as a cloud drive attached to my router and see how that works.

Fantastic upgrade. And holy shit did the inside of my PC collect some dust over the last 3 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok.

Man this thing rocks. Everything is complete and runs like a champ. Witcher 3 on PC maxed out compared to PS4, holy shit.... Just... holy shit. at 60 FPS with hairworks on everything maxed out.

New 4tb drive is installed and I took out the other 2 drives, SSD is the same. I am going to use one drive as a cloud drive attached to my router and see how that works.

Fantastic upgrade. And holy shit did the inside of my PC collect some dust over the last 3 years.
Buy a datavac air blower you dirty cretin.

This thing outperforms compressed air and is cheaper in the long run, it's also mad powerful (computer hint, when you clean stuff, HOLD DOWN, your fans, do not blow air on them to spin em freely, damages them), so powerful i dust my house with it and i use it on my porch)

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

moontayle

Golden Squire
Upgraded my rig this past week. GTX 1080, i5 6600k, 500GB SSD, 16GB ram. Turned BDO settings up as high as I could. Almost cried at how much better it looks than my old rig, Phenom x6, GTX 660, 12GB Ram, platter drive. Only thing missing is a monitor to take advantage of this awesomeness but for now I'll take it.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Still possible to upgrade for free - reason: assistive technologies was released with latest patch for win 10. It's not enabled by default. M$ doesn't require any proof or validation. Upgrade. Win.

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lol. With no way of tracking that just leave upgrading to Windows 10 free for everyone.

What a screwball company.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still possible to upgrade for free - reason: assistive technologies was released with latest patch for win 10. It's not enabled by default. M$ doesn't require any proof or validation. Upgrade. Win.

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users
Wow, thank you! Figured out too late that a mother board issue I had was cosmetic, and so I'm still stuck on 8.1 Not a terrible thing but I liked Win10 for the bit I had it.