Desktop Computers

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Welp, for the record, the 144hz Gsync 27" I purchased rocks so much I cannot even play my console games now in comparison. I made a full move over to the PC version of Rocket League due to how smooth it runs without any stutter compared to PS4.

I wish they made a 65" Gsync 144hz Display which I could build a PC on and just have two PC's. One for my new "console" and another for desktop/chair gaming.

The difference is frickin ridiculous and now it sucks because I cannot go back.

Both of my buddies bought the Predator IPS and love it. What monitor did you end up getting?

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Picked up the xl2430 refurbished for $258. Looking forward to gaming in 144hz with the new rig. I originally almost bought the X34 or PG348q but for my purposes 24" 144hz is good enough. I'll revisit buying an ultra wide in a year or two when prices drop.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Can't wait for someone to come up with the meme video with this guy and the RX Vega...

dHSuYD5.gif

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
New gaming PC build time.

4K res.
What single video card?
AMD back in the game? Still go with Intel?
I want the CPU that makes the most sense. Does not need to be the best bang for the buck.
How much memory needed now?
Worth building myself anymore? Just go a pre-made?

Thanks.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I have a 4k pc.

I'm using a single 1080 Ti with a Ryzen 1600x @ 4ghz. Does 60 most times, if you're looking for more than that you'll have to go dual card.

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
The AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 seems reasonable, but benchmarks are needed of course. Other than that I will wait on Navi and whatever Nvidia has after Volta.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

4K res.
What single video card?
I want the CPU that makes the most sense. Does not need to be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks.
1080ti is the only choice if u want a 4k rig off of one card. Maybe whatever Titan they have out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I came back to this thread just to laugh about how much Vega sucks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 seems reasonable, but benchmarks are needed of course. Other than that I will wait on Navi and whatever Nvidia has after Volta.

They will benchmark 5% higher than nVidia.

Until they actually come out.

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Will be interesting to hear what exactly happened with Vega in 6 months. They where showing it off playing Doom/Battlefront 8-9 months ago yet it is still not released.

4K res.
What single video card?

Thanks.
If youre wanting 4K then a 1080ti is a must. At that resolution the Ryzen 1600 or 1700 is going to be the better buy v 7700k as the FPS is literally the same between them at 4K but be $100-150 cheaper.

7700k is really the only Intel CPU worth considering now and thats if you game at 1080p. Their entire i5 line is completely blown away by Ryzen and their "HEDT" CPUs(Kaby Lake-X) are a hilariously pathetic joke not even worth considering.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Damn, thing has a huge die size but power efficiency (which is everything now) is utter crap and regressing. What hapenned? Their simulations *lied*, something got f*cked up and they did not have enough money/people for a backup plan most likely. There was some great sandbagging going on with Zen but with Vega it looks like graphics group budget was cut much too thin. AMD CPU group kicked it into higher gear and now RTG sucks. Radeon 290 deja vu indeed.

(edit) Oh, other part that keeps happening is NVIDIA kicking more and more ass on GPU side... they are generation and half ahead now with Volta already coming out for HPC customers. NVIDIA also wisely stuck to TSMC to fab their chips whereas AMD apparently went to Global Foundries for first time with a brand new GPU design.

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I returned all the items for my build. Fuckit. Will just go with Cyberpower. It's only 250 bucks more.

• 1Picard

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Received the BenQ XL2430. Set it up. Everything was working great, switched from 60hz to 144hz and.... there are four lines running horizontally across the monitor. Have to RMA it. I hope this RMA process doesn't suck. First BenQ monitor. Have owned Viewsonics and Asus before this.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Received the BenQ XL2430. Set it up. Everything was working great, switched from 60hz to 144hz and.... there are four lines running horizontally across the monitor. Have to RMA it. I hope this RMA process doesn't suck. First BenQ monitor. Have owned Viewsonics and Asus before this.

Well, the name of the company is BenQ. I would think if they were serious they would develop real branding.

• 1Worf