Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why does it need delidding?

I'm probably gonna bite on 8th gen with the new expanded core counts. Time to finally retire my 2500K.

The thermals on Intel chips have been fucking garbage for a while since they are using thermal paste instead of soldering the heat spreader on the die. I mean you don't have to if you don't plan on overclocking much but it's around 20c cooler with liquid metal after being delidded. I personally upgrade cpu and mobo like every 4 or 5 years and would rather get a binned one thats been delidded so I squeeze as much out of it as I can.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I got the replacement hardware last night and it was installed within five minutes and not a single issue.

I must have just gotten some badly threaded standoffs.

a_skeleton_03 if it isn't too late, get rid of that piece of shit NZXT pump and get a Corsair H115i or something else. My NZXT x62 died yesterday after like 6 months or something. And the CAM software is trash. Fuck NZXT. Never ordering their shit again.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The tool these guys have made delidding stupid easy. If you're thinking about overclocking at all, it is a no-brainer to get it.

Rockit Cool - Home of the Rockit 88 delid tool

Yesterday, when my NZXT x62 AIO pump died, I thought the liquid metal I'd used from the die to the IHS had failed or something but nope - everything on the CPU/IHS/Die was fine. It was the fucking pump.

Anyways, I totally recommend using the tool I just linked.

I use this between the die and IHS after delidding: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal, seemed to be the best in town now)

I use this between the IHS and the heatsink: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (normal paste like Arctic Silver 5)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
NZXT and Corsair both use the same Asetek pump. Pretty much all AIO's use the Asetek pump except for EKWB and Alphacool.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The thermals on Intel chips have been fucking garbage for a while since they are using thermal paste instead of soldering the heat spreader on the die. I mean you don't have to if you don't plan on overclocking much but it's around 20c cooler with liquid metal after being delidded. I personally upgrade cpu and mobo like every 4 or 5 years and would rather get a binned one thats been delidded so I squeeze as much out of it as I can.

Not that this really matters, but the issue has less to do with the thermal paste that Intel uses. It is the soldering vs. gluing the IHS to the CPU. The IHS is glued onto Ivy Bridge, Sky Lake, and Kaby Lake (and others I can't remember when they switched) and the glue creates just enough of a gap between the IHS and die. The thermal paste it self is fine - the gap is the issue. If you've ever delidded one of these things and look at the amount of glue still on the card, you can totally see why there is a gap.

TLDR: Don't blame their thermal paste, blame the gap between the IHS and die that is created by the glue used for the IHS to the card (green part, whatever the fuck it is called).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've been passing my delid kit around the office to a couple of guys and both have seen 20+ degree drops. I used the Grizzly stuff, they've used random other things. Basically same results.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So are you guys delidding just to replace the thermal compound under the IHS and then reattaching it?

I've been out of the OC game with my i5-2500K being a beast for OC'ing out of the box back in 2011.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Partly. Again, the bigger reason to delid the Sky Lake/Kaby Lake/etc chips is to remove the gap between the die and IHS that is created by the glue that holds the IHS on. You delid, get all of the remaining glue off, and since you're there might as well clean-up and replace Intel's thermal paste that is between the die/IHS.

I didn't even bother gluing my IHS back on - it is just held in place by the clamp/clip that holds the CPU in place. And then I just put my pump (or other heatsink) on as usual.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Think I am having some buyers remorse on my new PC. In literally 2 games can I tell a noticeable difference in gaming. (Tera and Civ6 run better/faster.) Thinking I just needed an upgrade from my 980GTX to a 1080ti for 4K gaming for the most part.

4790K to 7700K and all the ancillary stuff that goes with that proc upgrade may not have been worth it. My shit LOOKS fantastic, but gaming for the most part?? Meh, not so much.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Think I am having some buyers remorse on my new PC. In literally 2 games can I tell a noticeable difference in gaming. (Tera and Civ6 run better/faster.) Thinking I just needed an upgrade from my 980GTX to a 1080ti for 4K gaming for the most part.

4790K to 7700K and all the ancillary stuff that goes with that proc upgrade may not have been worth it. My shit LOOKS fantastic, but gaming for the most part?? Meh, not so much.

Yea man sorry this isn't the 90s-2000s where every generation was mind blowingly better and we went from 4x cd rom drives to 16x and you were installing like a king at the lan party.

You are looking at more like 4-5 year gap now to be blown away in the same way that like a few months were back in the early days of 3D cards.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah...But I guess I'm cool for the next few years at least.

Maybe. If VR goes nuts even that machine might be old and tired. Hopefully just a gen or two away and it's just a gfx card upgrade though.

I'm actually interested to see if VR goes anywhere, my feeling is the hype has basically died from it with the flood of cheap crappy headsets.

But get a 1440p monitor running 144hz, that will make an insane difference to you, especially if you're running something bigger than 24".

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Exact reason I've held onto my i5-2500k for so long. I OC'ed it, and upgraded to a GTX 970 a while ago and have been good to go for everything that I wanted to do.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
But you have a nice open case weird computer now

source.gif

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, still not sure if I will get an 8700k to replace my 4770k. I doubt the improvement would be that great.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Exact reason I've held onto my i5-2500k for so long. I OC'ed it, and upgraded to a GTX 970 a while ago and have been good to go for everything that I wanted to do.

Running the same thing here. Planning on finally doing a rebuild next year and I'll probably hold on to the 970 until Nvidia's next gen.

• 1Solidarity