Desktop Computers

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've had mine since late 2013, with an upgrade to a GTX970 a couple of years ago (work bonus). Since then I've helped a couple of friends put together new machines and these days it seems that the monitor is actually what drives the upgrade cycle. Mine is about 10 years old, but has the 16x10 (1920x1080) aspect ratio that is hard to find anymore. I've been eyeballing the newer Ultra Widescreen monitors lately, but they are still extremely expensive and I will have to do a rebuild to properly run one.

What is everyone's opinion on the newer monitors? They look like they next "worth your money" upgrade, that last one being SSDs, but I am not exactly unhappy with my current set up. I was going to sit tight and weight a couple more years, does it look like monitors will keep making big leaps in performance and cost?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've had mine since late 2013, with an upgrade to a GTX970 a couple of years ago (work bonus). Since then I've helped a couple of friends put together new machines and these days it seems that the monitor is actually what drives the upgrade cycle. Mine is about 10 years old, but has the 16x10 (1920x1080) aspect ratio that is hard to find anymore. I've been eyeballing the newer Ultra Widescreen monitors lately, but they are still extremely expensive and I will have to do a rebuild to properly run one.

What is everyone's opinion on the newer monitors? They look like they next "worth your money" upgrade, that last one being SSDs, but I am not exactly unhappy with my current set up. I was going to sit tight and weight a couple more years, does it look like monitors will keep making big leaps in performance and cost?

For reasons that escape me, the next gen of gaming monitors are not out yet and the primary "good" ones right now are going on 2-3 years old it seems with only minor revisions if any. That's a tough pill to swallow when the big brother (TV) is shitting out major upgrades every calendar year.

My issue is that a true gaming monitor for me at this point must have everything in one package, and a lot of current displays are compromises and branding at huge prices. I mean the Acer X34 has reviews from Q4 2015 posted. That's long in the tooth for a flagship product and new competitive display niche.

On one hand, yes, monitors are the next upgrade to take advantage of modern graphics power - you get nothing going to 300 fps on your 24" 1080p 60hz monitor. On the other hand, the market is terrible and the prices are obscene still. Maybe fears of VR that stalled it for a bit? I dunno.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
VR has to be failing by now. I hardly ever hear anyone actually talk about it outside of this forum

Thankfully too

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
VR has to be failing by now. I hardly ever hear anyone actually talk about it outside of this forum

Thankfully too

I'm VRstradamus simply by not drinking the KoolAid. VR is not Jesus and it's been attempted and worked on for decades. A bunch of hype surrounding yet another incremental improvement was never going to create a massive consumer market for them. Quite frankly the hardware simply isn't there and the UX is awful and imprecise.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
For reasons that escape me, the next gen of gaming monitors are not out yet and the primary "good" ones right now are going on 2-3 years old it seems with only minor revisions if any. That's a tough pill to swallow when the big brother (TV) is shitting out major upgrades every calendar year.

My issue is that a true gaming monitor for me at this point must have everything in one package, and a lot of current displays are compromises and branding at huge prices. I mean the Acer X34 has reviews from Q4 2015 posted. That's long in the tooth for a flagship product and new competitive display niche.

On one hand, yes, monitors are the next upgrade to take advantage of modern graphics power - you get nothing going to 300 fps on your 24" 1080p 60hz monitor. On the other hand, the market is terrible and the prices are obscene still. Maybe fears of VR that stalled it for a bit? I dunno.

Thanks for the heads up. Sit tight it is :)

• 1Solidarity

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, still not sure if I will get an 8700k to replace my 4770k. I doubt the improvement would be that great.

Unless you have to build a computer right now, I would wait for next years Chip. They are going to 10nm and another chipset. You also should have Nvidia's new card by then.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

awTev8U.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Yea, I never thought that my TV would be better than my gaming monitors but that's what happened. Now streaming games to it via steam link at 1080p gave me a taste at what I'm missing. Looks absolutely amazing and that's on a TV not optimized or meant for gaming really. Haven't totally convinced the wife to let me play WoW on it yet though. :)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The X34 should be 499 and the next gen should be out. That's all I'm sayin nameen.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quite frankly the hardware simply isn't there and the UX is awful and imprecise.

I know this is a common opinion, but imo, it's really the software that's lacking. Most vr games just don't sufficiently leverage the capabilities (and manage the problems) of the hardware, and the vast majority are so far behind what we normally play that it's hard to reconcile the difference. On top of that, most of the worthwhile things aren't really games at all... more like toys. BUT, it IS possible to make a great game with today's hardware.

Don't write off VR until you've put a couple of hours into Superhot. One game isn't worth the price of a Vive of course, but it won't take many games like this to close the gap. Shit, I've probably spent more time with my Vive than my Xbox One. Considering the near future, assuming someone has a capable enough computer, a next gen vr headset will probably give you much more value than a next gen console, at what I expect will be similar prices.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am perfectly happy with my Dell 27" 1440p Gsync and it was only $499.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Doubt there will.be a next gen VR. Who is using these things?

I love my PSVR. Use it all the time. I found an awesome Apollo 11 simulator, have been scared to death in RE7, played Star Trek with Daezuel Daezuel , and the experience for me is completely 100% immersive and can only get better.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Be hard to be more wrong lol. This is just the tip. 8k displays, better field of view, better lenses. It's already happening.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Unless you have to build a computer right now, I would wait for next years Chip. They are going to 10nm and another chipset. You also should have Nvidia's new card by then.
I'd be keeping my 1080 for the time being anyway.

I don't see myself holding out to Q2 2018 without pulling the trigger on a new PC but we'll see.

If Intel wants to crush AMD, why don't they just build a Coffee Lake variant with a bunch of eDRAM? Maybe some fucking solder?!?!