<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20180107-222831.jpg

Intel's 8th Gen G-series processors pack RX Vega M graphics | PC Gamer

What.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a big Intel fanboy but even I can't get behind them on this shit

If it gets me my dream laptop I'm all for it. I just want a 14" thin laptop with decent graphics performance for 1000'ish or less. No Blades.

I love the 14" form factor for laptops and it's so rare to see a proper graphics card at that size outside of super high end devices.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Id give it a while, freesync is now built into the HDMI spec so who knows how Nvidia will respond to that.

Argarth

On the verandah
So is Gsync worth the like $200 it's adds to cost?

Value for money? Absolutely not.

However, IF you have the money to throw at Ultra-wide, or 1440p, and a 1080 Ti and current CPU,

AND

want to play modern games at Max detail & above 100fps most of the time, then yes! :D

For me, it's about what "minimum' frame rates your rig can achieve under stress, (not averages) and how much you hate stutter, tearing, and/or input lag due to V-sync etc.

I agonized over this decision for ages, made more difficult by the fact that AMD doesn't have now (or even on the horizon), a competitor for the 1080 Ti. The other thing is that G-Sync is mostly only available on premium monitors ($$) anyway. Makes sense really; who would pay $500 for a $300 monitor with G-sync?

I ended up going with a 34" Freesync 75Hz / 2650x1080 / IPS Ultrawide for $600AU, which looks absolutely gorgeous btw, and although Freesync is useless on my NVidia card, I can crank everything to the max, (some titles in DSR 4x) my FPS never drops below 75 and is buttery smooth.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I'll go into a little more detail

Currently I mostly play PUBG. I have an ~24 inch 144hz monitor. I feel like it's time to upgrade, and I'm looking into getting a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor. My video card sucks relatively (GTX 960). I'm unlikely to upgrade both at once. My plan is to get the monitor first, and the video card later. I have the cash for the monitor now (sort of, depends on how good I go, I could do like $600 ish now, or could wait until I get paid again and do more) and likely do the video card (1080ti probably?) after tax return. Though I'm somewhat tempted to wait until we hear about the next gen of video cards since it's been quite a while. I flip flop on this quite a while, because I don't really know enough. Is it worth waiting?

The rest of computer is fine, 7700k at 5@GHz, etc.

The frugal part of me says I won't notice the difference with/without gsync. The gamer part of me says get the best shit.

I just look at shit like the following two monitors, and I don't really know if there is a difference other than gsync, and one is 50% more. I don't know how to judge that worth

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG271QX-Gaming-Monitor-144hz/dp/B01G5JYN0C
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ENDXR

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Currently I mostly play PUBG. I have an ~24 inch 144hz monitor. I feel like it's time to upgrade, and I'm looking into getting a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor. My video card sucks relatively (GTX 960). I'm unlikely to upgrade both at once. My plan is to get the monitor first, and the video card later. I have the cash for the monitor now (sort of, depends on how good I go, I could do like $600 ish now, or could wait until I get paid again and do more) and likely do the video card (1080ti probably?) after tax return. Though I'm somewhat tempted to wait until we hear about the next gen of video cards since it's been quite a while. I flip flop on this quite a while, because I don't really know enough. Is it worth waiting?

The frugal part of me says I won't notice the difference with/without gsync. The gamer part of me says get the best shit.

I just look at shit like the following two monitors, and I don't really know if there is a difference other than gsync, and one is 50% more. I don't know how to judge that worth

At this point I'd wait til the 2080 comes out later this year and get a 4k 120hz gysnc monitor.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah

Assuming that your 24" monitor is 1080p, (you didn't indicate typical fps in a firefight, assuming you play with vsync off) then driving a 1440p monitor with a GTX960 is going to tank your FPS, especially playing a poorly optimized game like PUBG. (something like Overwatch would be a different story)

The AOC is a freesync monitor, so no use to you anyway (edit: you'd still have to play with vsync off and have constant tearing with lower frame rates than you have now). I would say you'd also be wasting your money on the ASUS until you can upgrade both together. I mean, GSync really works, but what's the point if you are dipping frequently into low/mid double-digit FPS?

No indication that there is anything coming to replace the 1080 Ti in the near future. Even if NVidia did pull a Volta based gaming card out of their arse next year, it will likely cost the same $$ as a small car, given they have the market to themselves.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hades Canyon NUC is :emoji_zap::emoji_zap:

Seems like a ton of $ for a low performance desktop. $1k plus you need to buy memory and SSD? That's absurd when you start pricing out desktop equivalents.

My HTPC uses an Intel NUC from a few generations back. I love it. I just think they have lost their mind on the pricing of this new generation.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Seems like a ton of $ for a low performance desktop. $1k plus you need to buy memory and SSD? That's absurd when you start pricing out desktop equivalents.

My HTPC uses an Intel NUC from a few generations back. I love it. I just think they have lost their mind on the pricing of this new generation.
Agree. That's a huge premium they're charging for the form factor alone. Though it is a pretty Rey form factor. Is it fanless?

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

I'd go with the new video card first. Moving to 1440 is going to kill your current card