Desktop Computers

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Get a decent quality UPS

Either that or you have a dust/hair issue or heat airflow issues. Hell all of the above.

I've been using a UPS for my primary system for 7 years. I don't overclock. I dust my boxes roughly every 3 months. I replaced the two 120mm fans in the front of my new chassis with a 200mm fan and use a well rated non-stock cooler despite not overclocking. House was built in 1980 so it's not super old.

Must be a voodoo curse. Never buying ASRock ever again though

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
After using laptops for the last 12 years I'm finally buying a desktop.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k 4.2GHZ Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua -NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME z270-A ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: 850 EVO-Series 500gb 2.5'' SSD
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5'' 7200RPM Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Shiiiiit it takes this kind of rig to run Pantheon?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
The wife got me a 1070ti for Christmas and I’m considering just building an entirely new system around it.

I currently have an i5-3570 with 8gb ram with no SSD.

Option 1: install the latest and greatest SSD + 8gb more ram and just plop the 1070 in.

Option 2: i5 8400 (or maybe Ryzen?), mobo + whole shebang

Is the option 2 performance bump worth the probable 1k more in cost?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Whether or not $1k is worth what performance you'd get is up to you and how you value your money but id guess the consensus is no

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
A SSD is always a worthwhile upgrade if you don't have one, so I would just do that until you are ready to do a full rebuild. That CPU should still be decent for another year or so. 8 GB of RAM is adequate in most situations and you'll have to buy new RAM anyway when you upgrade the CPU and mobo, so I wouldn't add more unless you can find it cheap.

If it was my money, I'd go with buying a 500 GB Samsung EVO (m.2 if your mobo supports it), put in the 1070, and ride it out until you're ready for a full rebuild.

• 1Solidarity

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the Samsung is exactly what I’m looking at.

I have the green light from the wife to spend the extra K but after looking at the numbers it doesn’t look like that big of an upgrade.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Updated Ryzen processors are set to be released in the next few months.

Intel looks like it's in for a very bad 2018 and beyond. Everything i read says their 10nm process is a dumpster fire and now this?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wrote uefi/bios before for Intel processors and getting them to change ANYTHING was a chore. They denied everything and we'd have to make constant work arounds. However, they were good about fixing critical mistakes so this surprises me.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Updated Ryzen processors are set to be released in the next few months.

Intel looks like it's in for a very bad 2018 and beyond. Everything i read says their 10nm process is a dumpster fire and now this?
Some extra nods to AMD sales for sure, but Intel faithfull still have a healthy performance advantage over AMD. And most people will not know or notice about this bug any more than they noticed that almost all Intel platforms from 2008-2017 (Nehalem through Kaby Lake) were remotely hackable because of Intel ME/AMT flaws in silicon.

Def a nice setup for the Ryzen refresh.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah for consumer use this sounds like it won't have a big impact, but for data centers(where the big bucks are) and businesses this could be a disaster.

Description and research papers on Meltdown and Spectre

TLDR : The incoming updates address Meltdown which only affects Intel cpus; it's an immediate threat and easier to exploit. Spectre is supposedly a hardware flaw that cannot be fixed and affects everyone - AMD, Intel, and Arm. This would seem to make virtualization insecure, and basically everything much more vulnerable.
From what I've read Ryzen/Epyc is not affected by this, but AMDs older fx series is.

Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel
Tested Processors
  • Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz (called "Intel Haswell Xeon CPU" in the rest of this document)
  • AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (called "AMD FX CPU" in the rest of this document)
  • AMD PRO A8-9600 R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G (called "AMD PRO CPU" in the rest of this document)
  • An ARM Cortex A57 core of a Google Nexus 5x phone [6] (called "ARM Cortex A57" in the rest of this document)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah for consumer use this sounds like it won't have a big impact, but for data centers(where the big bucks are) and businesses this could be a disaster.
More like a blessing in disguise for Intel (and AMD to degree) pushing customers to upgrade to unaffected sillicon. Even in the consumer space, In the absence of true competition, any old bugs like this are ironically better for Intel and AMD, esp if people are actually forced to buy new hw.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Massive clouds can probably just add some extra compute to mitigate the throttling. It's the on premise stuff where you're utilizing most of your capacity as is that will hurt. I guess it will speed up equipment refresh cycles in both cases though.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
The wife got me a 1070ti for Christmas and I’m considering just building an entirely new system around it.

I currently have an i5-3570 with 8gb ram with no SSD.

Option 1: install the latest and greatest SSD + 8gb more ram and just plop the 1070 in.

Option 2: i5 8400 (or maybe Ryzen?), mobo + whole shebang

Is the option 2 performance bump worth the probable 1k more in cost?
You might really want to start considering a CPU with more cores. It seems more and more games are finally starting to utilize the CPU more. An SSD is also a huge QOL component even if its just for the OS.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
From the Spectre paper :

Realistically if everything current is affected, everything in the pipeline will probably be as well. Ryzen's refresh and cannon/icelake either release with the bug or get a big delay/cancellation while they address this.

As far as cloud services go, it would appear the only real solution is replace all hardware with hardware that doesn't exist yet. "Add(ing) some extra compute to mitigate the throttling," doesn't address Spectre vulnerabilities. Then again I'm just talking out my ass.

*edit - reading a little closer, it looks like that quote was referencing variant one, which AMD says can be easily fixed in software. Variant 2 is "applicable to AMD", which is what AMD calls near zero-risk since no one has demonstrated it yet on AMD. Variant 3 is Intel only according to AMD. Hopefully that's all true, but we'll see.

AMD, at least their Ryzen/Epyc processors simply arent affected;

Nothing to see here folks! Planned sale!

Intel was aware of the chip vulnerability when its CEO sold off $24 million in company stock

• Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sold off $24 million worth of stock and options in the company in late November.
  • The stock sale came after Intel was informed by Google of a significant vulnerability in its chips - a flaw that only became public this week.

Icing on the cake;

The stock sale raised eyebrows when it was disclosed, primarily because it left Krzanich with just 250,000 shares of Intel stock - the bare minimum the company requires him to hold under his employment agreement.
How exactly did martha Stewart get convicted of insider trading again when this kind of bullshit is happening?

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Too bad there is not an x86 compatible variant of Open Power in the consumer space to provide a little more competition from IBM. Their corporate and HPC sales will like this mucho much in their marketing slides.

Go go Power 9 and AIX desktop Fortran!

(edit)
From AMD source on Linux kernel mailing list: LKML: Tom Lendacky: [PATCH] x86/cpu, x86/pti: Do not enable PTI on AMD processors
(edit2)
Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel
Eeep... Intel Server market share might take a BIG hit from the "Google Project Zero) bugs, especially the variant 3: "Rogue Data Cache Load" one.

Gonna be fun re-banchmarking systems once all the patches shake out.

Holly fcking Happy New Year AMD and IBM. Go Zen Epyc , go Power go!

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
For anyone wondering, none of these performance impacts affect gaming at any reasonable modern resolution. The benchmarks had to run games CPU bound on very old hardware at 720p to even see any performance impact at all.

This affects cloud/VM, database, and other workloads, but nothing graphics related at all.

• 1Like