Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's a fake news headline. People have been aware of this kind of attack for 20 years. They just discovered its a bit easier execute in the cloud to peep on other VMs than previously thought.

I have no idea why they're even patching this on end-user machines. There's so many other ways to own a machine once you're executing code on it. It makes me think that people were using this to invent DRM hacks or something.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For anyone wondering, none of these performance impacts affect gaming at any reasonable modern resolution. The benchmarks had to run games CPU bound on very old hardware at 720p to even see any performance impact at all.

This affects cloud/VM, database, and other workloads, but nothing graphics related at all.

Thx.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10 last night. Any tips on some of the new must dos/don't?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10 last night. Any tips on some of the new must dos/don't?
If you see a blue slider bar on any settings screen you probably want to turn it off.

(Kidding, but also not kidding.)

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Go into windows update > advanced > choose how updates are delivered and turn that shit off is a good starter.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I like to right click -> remove from start menu everything that's in the start menu by default.

Then, hit the Windows key (or click start) and just start typing anything you want to run. It will pop up if it's installed, i.e. type chrome and chrome shows up. At that point right click and hit add to start. Relocate, resize start menu tiles as desired.

• 1Like

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
if you only use wifi you can set the connection to "metered", this will stop all updates

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I've been disabling the Windows Update service in services.msc when I don't want updates to screw up my day.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=269858

also

Epic Services & Stability Update - Forums

The following chart shows the significant impact on CPU usage of one of our back-end services after a host was patched to address the Meltdown vulnerability.
MwzsHRXQLVbmJ3pusNuGwn0ZQVjo9h8nRJHJhIo4d3XFqbvUYCj8EPq5jV7zeVEEcHAkraNBesbbNDW_UAlIjvw-hZBd80rKt7ZYl35nBIcfCCVyRvW5V7M7KVejv9tvVBHfgSKr

Unexpected issues may occur with our services over the next week as the cloud services we use are updated. We are working with our cloud service providers to prevent further issues and will do everything we can to mitigate and resolve any issues that arise as quickly as possible. Thank you all for understanding. Follow our twitter @FortniteGame for any future updates regarding this issue.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You think the Intel reps going to CES are really excited?

• 1Worf

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's AMDs time to shine. I guess this is how you break a choke hold on the industry.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah the CCP guy posted that, he was referring to the servers that handle the API and stuff for using it to get in game info in the Eve Online game like player stats, skills, market data, trades and such.