Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So I was going to build this cheap rig which is still 4x better than what I currently have, out of a G4560 and a fitting mainboard + ram and now instead I went and got a Ryzen and mainboard and 16GB of 3200 RAM and spent twice of what I was going to spend but hey YOLO and shit.

Stuff should be here by tomorrow so I can build my PC while the wife is out for some kindergarten parent meeting. Hooray.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Because at 1440+ its all about the GPU?

Ryzen's typically start running into issues above ~100 fps due to the memory latency and single cores running out of gas, where Intel's don't. But below 100 FPS you will pretty much never notice a difference between them, so it has more to do with what monitor you use (as well as GPU to a lesser extent) more than resolution. If you're still running 60 - 100 hz monitors, you'll never notice a difference.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just bought this Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

$1199
  • Intel Core i5-8600K Processor 3.7GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
  • 256GB Solid State Drive
  • 1TB Storage Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 802.11ac Wireless

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I just bought this Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

$1199
  • Intel Core i5-8600K Processor 3.7GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
  • 256GB Solid State Drive
  • 1TB Storage Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 802.11ac Wireless
I just fiddled around with pcpartpicker and it looks like you would have paid at least $200 more if you built it yourself and that didn't even include m/kb so I guess you got a good deal.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Well a pretty case can be had for 50-100$ and he can sell the ugly one to some edgelord so...

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only Mist would give a shit about a case. Dude gets an incredible deal on a PC, Mist has to ruin his day.

• 2Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only a chick would care how a case looks. Mine is on floor next to my desk and I cant even see it.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Only a chick would care how a case looks. Mine is on floor next to my desk and I cant even see it.

I bet she has curtains on her case window and a nice little plant sitting outside of it.

• 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't even have a case window, I've got the mesh-side version of the 600T. It's a little dated at this point but I've got it nearly silent considering the amount of air going through it.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
So based on this forums recommendations, I bought the Dell S2716dg. I calibrated the shit out of it and the colors were still garbage. How can you guys stand that? Long story short, my Asus P279Q came in today, and while more expensive than the Dell, it is worth every penny. High refresh rate, IPS (AVHA actually), and great colors. No BLB on mine and no noticable IPS glow. This is a keeper.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've never had the Dell display but do have the P279Q and love it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So based on this forums recommendations, I bought the Dell S2716dg. I calibrated the shit out of it and the colors were still garbage. How can you guys stand that? Long story short, my Asus P279Q came in today, and while more expensive than the Dell, it is worth every penny. High refresh rate, IPS (AVHA actually), and great colors. No BLB on mine and no noticable IPS glow. This is a keeper.
I use mine in ULMB mode, and other than having to adjust the gamma to get a good black level, I've got it sitting right next to a nearly identical Dell YU2717D IPS monitor (same Infinityedge chassis) and the colors are very close.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
In that same regard, I started using my old TV as monitor and the colours are ... well I need to do some work I think. It may just be that it's ten years old, it may be because it's a TV and no computer monitor, or maybe the colours just were adjusted like fuck all those years. I can't even explain it, stuff looks a bit washed out and ... "bland" ...

any way to adjust this or do I just go back to my tiny 22" screen and suck it up?

Samsung LE40A759R1M if that matters.