Desktop Computers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the subject:

NVMe vs. M.2 vs. SATA – What’s the Difference? - Custom Gaming & Enthusiast PC Blog | Velocity Micro

NVMe vs. M.2 vs. SATA – What’s the Difference?

One of the bigger breakthroughs for PC hardware in modern memory has been the solid state drive. And with data transfer speeds many multiples of traditional 7200 RPM and even 10,000 RPM drives, it’s easy to see why. Not only are boot and shut down speeds much faster with SSDs, but all aspects of the system are sped up as well. We highly recommend them. But what about NVMe SSDs, how do they differ from standard SATA drives? And do all M.2 drives classify as NVMe? Read on while we break down the differences between NVMe vs. M.2 vs. SATA.

What is NVMe?
nvme_ssd.png

The Samsung 960 Pro is the fastest NVMe drive on the market.

First, a quick note about SSDs – they’re fast. So fast in fact, their limiting factor is not their own hardware, but rather the SATA III connection that hard drives have traditionally used. Enter NVMe. Standing for “Non-Volatile Memory Express,” NVMe is an open standard developed to allow modern SSDs to operate at the read/write speeds their flash memory is capable of. Essentially, it allows flash memory to operate as an SSD directly through the PCIe interface rather than going through SATA and being limited by the slower SATA speeds. Put another way, it’s a description of the bus the component uses to communicate with the PC, not a new type of flash memory. It is also unrelated to the form factor, which is why NVMe drives can come in both M.2 or PCIe card form factors. With both form factors, the component is connecting electrically to the PC via PCIe rather than SATA.

Are all M.2 drives NVMe?
No. Remember, M.2 is just the form factor. M.2 drives can come in SATA versions (like the Crucial MX300 M.2 for example) and NVMe versions (like the Samsung 960 Pro), which describes the bus they use to electrically communicate with the other PC components. SATA M.2 SSD drives and 2.5” SATA SSDs actually operate at virtually identical spec. NVMe M.2’s on the other hand, definitely do not, as we’re about to discuss.

How does NVMe speed compare to SATA?
Modern motherboards use SATA III which maxes out at a throughput of 600MB/s (or 300MB/s for SATA II, in which case, it’s time to upgrade). Via that connection, most SSDs will provide Read/Write speeds in the neighborhood of 530/500 MB/s. For comparison, a 7200 RPM SATA drive manages around 100MB/s depending on age, condition, and level of fragmentation. NVMe drives, on the other hand, provide write speeds as high as 3500MB/s. That’s 7x over SATA SSDs!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That case looks really great. I like the design a lot. If you think about it when you see his results on the temperature video you should post it as well. I'd be pretty tempted to bite on that case, but I don't know if I could deal with so much window. Hmmmmmmm

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just ran a couple tests and went from a max cpu temp of 82C to a max of 56C with the water cooler

20180422_151917.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Which cooler is that? I got the H150i Pro when I upgraded a few months back and it keeps my 8700k @ 5ghz nice and cool.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cross posting this here from guitar thread.

So anyone here do any of this digital music shit on the PC?

My thought, I was going to take my old i5 2500K box I have lying around in the basement 1/2 scrapped and make a digital amp/studio out of it using focuserite for a interface for now. Maybe get a tascam+mikes later for drums.

Anyway would that 2500K be enough processor for that kind of shit? All that I think the box is missing is HDs and video card, but I have several older video cards I can plug in there. also probably memorey since its only got 4 gigs. Plus I would need a monitor, but I can get a cheap 32" dell from costco right now for $170.

Would be kind of fun experiment to fuck with my kids which have kind of taken interest in the whole music thing as of late. Was thinking of just getting a cheap PA type powered cabinet for the output with the guitar and bass.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Think you would want a better CPU and more memory. It might be able to chug along but kinda doubt it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Think you would want a better CPU and more memory. It might be able to chug along but kinda doubt it.

Ok so I did a bit of reading and it seems processor power is directly related to the amount of tracks you have/working on. People work on DAWS on celeron 1.6 ghz laptops with 36 tracks running. And since im mostly going to be doing 16 max (free license) I think I should be ok. They also say performance is directly proportional to the amount of plug ins you have running. Tehy do say to have a nice clean install with no bullshit running too, that helps.

Im thinking 7 tracks for drums (which then can be mixed down to one after levels adjusted) then 1 to 4 for guitar, 1-2 for bass, then maybe some midi shit for an extra 2-4 thats not even nearing 16 tracks yet. Were talking some basic garage type band shit. Not producing fine pieces of music to sell.

Only 16 tracks of audio and maybe 50 plugins?

An 8 year old C2D with 4GB ram would do that with ease. Put a SSD in whatever you get.
Actually, if you have the choice, from my experience a good i5 works better with REAPER than a low end i7.

So I think I should be OK to at least try it out. At least it will be a start without spending too much cash. All I need is a new SSD and a couple of case fans that I stole from that system.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok so I did a bit of reading and it seems processor power is directly related to the amount of tracks you have/working on. People work on DAWS on celeron 1.6 ghz laptops with 36 tracks running. And since im mostly going to be doing 16 max (free license) I think I should be ok. They also say performance is directly proportional to the amount of plug ins you have running. Tehy do say to have a nice clean install with no bullshit running too, that helps.

Im thinking 7 tracks for drums (which then can be mixed down to one after levels adjusted) then 1 to 4 for guitar, 1-2 for bass, then maybe some midi shit for an extra 2-4 thats not even nearing 16 tracks yet. Were talking some basic garage type band shit. Not producing fine pieces of music to sell.

So I think I should be OK to at least try it out. At least it will be a start without spending too much cash. All I need is a new SSD and a couple of case fans that I stole from that system.
from what i heard, music editing is really low intensity, like you thought, as long as you have a quadcore, decent ram and not a super bogged down system, you'll be fine. I've heard you might want to use a ssd to load samples/tracks faster, but once that's in memory, doesnt matter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone got any good deals going on gold modular psus? I just installed a 4tb drive and apparently maxed out my psus connections

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What's the best HTPC devices for 4k these days? Nvidia shield? FireTV?

Basically I want something next to my TV that I can connect my external HD to and stream without having to use wifi or an ethernet connection. What yall use/recommend?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What's the best HTPC devices for 4k these days? Nvidia shield? FireTV?

Basically I want something next to my TV that I can connect my external HD to and stream without having to use wifi or an ethernet connection. What yall use/recommend?

I've been trying to spec a new Plex server with a total Passmark of around 8k or better (currently running a box with an i5-720, Passmark of under 3k), but I just can't find a decent, cheap option. I've heard old developer laptops with i7s make great media servers but can't really find a lot of information about it. Also, those older i7s still cost way more than seems reasonable for tech that is 4 - 6 generations old.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've been trying to spec a new Plex server with a total Passmark of around 8k or better (currently running a box with an i5-720, Passmark of under 3k), but I just can't find a decent, cheap option. I've heard old developer laptops with i7s make great media servers but can't really find a lot of information about it. Also, those older i7s still cost way more than seems reasonable for tech that is 4 - 6 generations old.

I'm almost wondering if I can hook an external USB hard drive straight to my Smart TV with PLEX.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If you're otherwise happy with the PS you've got (esp if its a gold one) I would stick with it and get an extra adapter or two. Modern drives are pretty efficient and you should have plenty of juice to spare. Just remember when doing your napkin math that upon powerup you get spikes near max power for a lot of devices and make sure you do not overload the power budget for whatever rails you are plugging into. Power up spikes might take you to past max wattage even though average use with a power meter will be lower.

Lots of web aids around like this Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision to help provide rule of thumb basic guidance.