Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If you really want 32GB Ram, just check the supported memory list for your chosen Motherboard.

e.g. For my Motherboard, there are a few validated (16GB x 2) kits at 3000 and 3200 here > Support Lists for Memory / M2 / SSD

Pretty sure all motherboard manufacturers are producing these lists now. Wouldn't touch one that doesn't.
Thanks. Just going to find a set of reasonably priced 2x16GB that works at 3000 and be done with it, no need to sweat tweaking cas for extra 5% performance.

Argarth

On the verandah
ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA

Yeah, according to that I can use at least the slot in the middle, and maybe the slot in the bottom right?

I think I'll just get the Evo. A couple of the things I looked at last night makes me think the difference isn't too high considering it's 50% more for the pro

Yep, looks good to go. Both slots support PCIe 3.0 x4. The one in the corner supports SATA as well, so guessing there might be a BIOS toggle to make sure it doesn't default to that.
Both the 500GB Evo and the 512GB Pro happen to be in the support list for PCIe NVMe mode.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Cool, thanks. I'm still looking at motherboards, RAM compatability and prices. But def going for the bundled 2700x cooler.

B-Die Finder

Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.1.0 Beta 2 (overclocking DRAM on AM4) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Anyone able to recommend a good TR4 mobo? Currently planning on:

Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard (ROG ZENITH EXTREME) - PCPartPicker

But my butthole is already puckered up at the costs of everything so would be nice to pay less for something thats just as good.
Do you need it right now? TR2 due out in a few months.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
i have no idea about hardware really, definitely dont know enough to know what the fuck is releasing when. Whats TR2? Is that the gen 2 threadrippers?
TR2 is the new generation of thread ripper using the new design as the Ryzen 2XXX series. So a little speed bump and much better memory compatibility. Should be released in the next few months.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
TR2 is the new generation of thread ripper using the new design as the Ryzen 2XXX series. So a little speed bump and much better memory compatibility. Should be released in the next few months.
Wonder if its worth it for me. I need PCIe lanes, not so much the other shit. If nothing else it will drop the price of the older CPUs (hopefully). I can wait a tiny bit. Thanks.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Very cool thanks. This will be a great help.

BTW if anyone sees a Linux over/under-clocking tool for Ryzen/TR please let me know. AMDpctl does not seem updated anymore.

(edit 1) NM. Found it..... sjug/go-zenstates
Source reference: https://support.amd.com/TechDocs/54945_PPR_Family_17h_Models_00h-0Fh.pdf
Handy pstate calculator: RyZen Pstate Overclocking, method, calculation and Calculator
Excel: RyZenPstateCalc.xlsx

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, looks good to go. Both slots support PCIe 3.0 x4. The one in the corner supports SATA as well, so guessing there might be a BIOS toggle to make sure it doesn't default to that.
Both the 500GB Evo and the 512GB Pro happen to be in the support list for PCIe NVMe mode.

Got the 500GB 960 Evo, gets here tomorrow. I'll put it in and go through the cloning process and see how I feel

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Everything installed and seems to be working fine. I'll give it a day or two and make sure no random problems then I'll probably format my 250GB SSD and use it for rarely played games

Argarth

On the verandah
Everything installed and seems to be working fine. I'll give it a day or two and make sure no random problems then I'll probably format my 250GB SSD and use it for rarely played games

Soooo, how is it? Nothing more to say than "seems to be working fine"?

I was expecting a "holy shit!", or at the very least a dejected "meh"...
:p

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Boots up fast as fuck. Hard to say outside of that, I don't think I do too much that hits the hard drive too much. I'm sure I probably have faster load times in games

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Can someone recommend me a Malware Bytes replacement. I can not get it installed on Windows 10 after redoing the PC. Below is what I get when trying to install.

aaa.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
gool on windows updates, 1803 installed on my main PC and now bluetooth speakers won't work, just always says its disconnected in sound panel (worked fine moments before the update). I'm sure it'll get fixed in a few weeks and I have an HDMI port I can use instead but it was nice being down 1 cable.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ebay had a 15% off deal and I bought Ryzen 2700X, Gigabyte Aorus ultra gaming and 16gig 3000 CL15 ram to upgrade my 4690K rig at 4.5ghz. I can definitely feel the CPU bottle neck when I want to multi task while playing modern games. I'm pretty excited.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I haven't built a computer since 2011 so I'm due for a new one. As for processors which is better? Ryzen 5 or I7 for gaming, streaming (1080p) and some video editing? Money isn't a huge issue since it's been 7 years I got a new gaming PC but at the same time I'm not trying to break the bank.