Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
EBay has a 20% of coupon going on right now;

PICKDADSGIFT

Used it to pick up that 1tb hp nvme drive for $240.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Lol fucked up so hard. The AM4 kit came in for my noctua and I can't use 2 fans with this motherboard/case combo. My second fan is just in my drawer now. On another note, with the Noctua, the CPU overclocks to 4.1-4.2 ghz by itself.

lol, I did the same shit when I went with an AIO, ended up having to go buy a new case at fries because it wouldn't fit in my 300R case. Would have been nice to know since it was all Corsair shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That threadripper seems interesting, but do games even come close to using more than like 4 cores these days? Does the OS self allocate that shit better? Never really looked into it. Im sure that thing would be great for multitasking if they can still eek out a solid per core performance, which I doubt because from what I know the more cores you have the worse the per core performance is. But as always I could be wrong.

Argarth

On the verandah
Apparently, not all M2 PCIe 3.0 x4 slots are created equal. In particular, the Sequential Read performance of my new NVMe stick seemed pretty ordinary.

Found this video on the subject - "Professor" Tech Deals: on M2 slot speed and problem solved.

My X470 Motherboard has two M2 slots, and I had originally installed to the lower slot. Unfortunately, even though it is a 3.0 x4 slot, it's connected via the Chipset.
Moved it the top slot, and back to full speed. YAY.

Did some investigation with HWINFO, and you can see how the NVMe SSD is now connected directly to the CPU Bridge, just like the GFX Card.
The 2nd M2 slot I've marked with the "X"s, and it's clearly connected through the Chipset, causing the slowdown.

Definitely had me scratching my head for a bit, and thought it might be helpful to others.

ZEN Bus.PNG

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
That threadripper seems interesting, but do games even come close to using more than like 4 cores these days? Does the OS self allocate that shit better? Never really looked into it. Im sure that thing would be great for multitasking if they can still eek out a solid per core performance, which I doubt because from what I know the more cores you have the worse the per core performance is. But as always I could be wrong.

Plenty of modern games use more than 4 cores. Both Tomb Raiders, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, GR Wildlands, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, DOOM, Destiny 2, just to name a few I've tested. Some of them use all 8 cores/16 threads on my Ryzen 2700X. DOOM is a prime example, sharing the load very evenly across all 16 threads, probably due to the Vulcan API.

Also, since XBOX One and PS4 already have 8 core CPUs, it makes sense for this to become even more the norm, at least with future AAA games.

I wouldn't buy a Threadripper to play games on though, but it should work just fine. At resolutions above 1080p, you'd likely never know the difference. Probably a waste of money unless you are buying it for it's intended purpose as well. I'd like to have one anyway just because it would be fucking cool, lol. Plenty of videos on YT where it's been tested.

edit: Holy shit, get a load of the air cooler in this video >>> The Full Nerd

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Where do people go these days to shop watercooling/waterblocks? I really wish something like pcpartpicker existed for watercooling stuff.

Anyways, really considering doing a hardline watercooling setup, I love bending stainless steel tubing at work and like the look of it in cases. Trying to line up some parts so I have an idea what it'll cost. Looking at a Ryzen 2700 setup so shoot me some links if you got them.

Argarth

On the verandah
Where do people go these days to shop watercooling/waterblocks? I really wish something like pcpartpicker existed for watercooling stuff.

Anyways, really considering doing a hardline watercooling setup, I love bending stainless steel tubing at work and like the look of it in cases. Trying to line up some parts so I have an idea what it'll cost. Looking at a Ryzen 2700 setup so shoot me some links if you got them.

Can't help with the links, but... compulsory pics when it's done (plz). Stat!
:D

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Sadly I know fuck all about building a PC (last one I owned ran WinXP), but I just got a bonus at work and wanna get back into PC gaming and maybe dick around with streaming some. Was gonna go the Origin pre-built route, but now i'm thinking i'd be better off saving a few bucks and trying my hand at building one myself. Browsing pcpartpicker, Youtube, and the past few pages here this build caught my eye:

System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING OC, S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

2k price range is where i'm at. Thought's before I pull the trigger?

Also.... ahem... don't laugh at me, but what is the purpose of the smaller SSD vs the larger HD drive in this build? Is the SSD for the OS specifically and games the HD? Also, if I needed to double the ram in the future for editing or whatever, it's as simple as buying it and popping it in right? I know these are facepalm worthy questions, part of the reason why I wanna build it myself and learn as I go.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
You need a good high hz monitor with gsync.

And pick an nvme SSD like a Samsung 870 Pro or Evo; you’re building a high performance PC, might as well get a top performing SSD as well.

Hard drive is for data or surplus storage for games.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

Also.... ahem... don't laugh at me, but what is the purpose of the smaller SSD vs the larger HD drive in this build? Is the SSD for the OS specifically and games the HD? Also, if I needed to double the ram in the future for editing or whatever, it's as simple as buying it and popping it in right? I know these are facepalm worthy questions, part of the reason why I wanna build it myself and learn as I go.
(1) What resolution do you plan to game at? Gfx cards are overpriced still so you might not want to go overkill for your resolution on an already overpriced card.
(2) Yep, the SSD will usually contain the OS C partition where Windows sits, and perhaps a game or two that you want loading really fast. Everything else you can dump on the slow HD
(3) Re doubling ram: your motherboard is little, only has 2 ram slots but you have a big (ATX case). You could get a bigger motherboard with 4 RAM slots, and add 2x8 GB later if need more. As long as all RAM sticks are same size and rank you will probably be ok for easy pop in RAM doubling.

Overall, half the price of the build is GFX card. If you shave off a few $$ there and can get a 256 or 512 GB SSD for your OS and some games. You could always add a second bigger/faster SSD or faster (m.2) NVMe drive later if you want more faster storage. 16GB RAM will be fine for most everything.
Its incredibly easy and painless building PCs today. Kinda boring unless you want to OC ram/cpu, stuff just works out of box.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Loving the new Ryzen build. Everything is running well with a fresh Fedora 28 Install.

Still waiting on the HP NVMe drive (due Tue) so had to use the 2GB Micron for temporary boot drive. Not migrating my full software stack nor doing stress/stability testing till next week, but kernel builds, games (under WIne) & regular apps appear rock solid so far.

The Good.....
  • Fun! Must admin the LEDs are kinda cool and make machine feel alive when setting things up and tweaking.
  • RAM: 3200Mhz worked perfectly on first try using XMP profile.
  • Motherboard : Asus Crosshair VII is great. Easy to fiddle with and OC RAM and CPU, incredibly rich and flexible BIOS.
The Not so good....
  • Wraith Max cooler: Pretty it is, but just too small and too loud.
  • Going to re-use and old Hyper 212 EVO once I get the AM4 bracket. Saving Wraith for m-itx AM4 htpc when I finish tweaking this one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well got my HP EX920 today. I also learned that my m.2 slot is only a pcie gen2 2x slot which means it maxes out at 700-800mb/sec.

Argarth

On the verandah
Well got my HP EX920 today. I also learned that my m.2 slot is only a pcie gen2 2x slot which means it maxes out at 700-800mb/sec.

Sorry to hear that.

However, the good news (from what I've read) is that in the real world, the much faster access times and random read/write performance should still make your PC much snappier. I noticed that with mine before I solved my own M2 slot problem, even though my sequential numbers didn't go quite as low as yours (# of lanes/gen 2vs3 perhaps).

I've been testing a lot of games for loading times since, and the results are really variable. Some load really quickly (Witcher 3 for example) and others like GR Wildlands I can hardly notice the difference from my old SATA 850 Evo. Seems to depend partly on whether lots of small files have to be unpacked/decompressed from massive archives first, (don't think the sequential performance helps much with this) or whatever else the game is doing in memory before it loads the interface.

Still a bummer though. If you want those big numbers back, you could connect it via a PCIe adapter card if you have a spare 3.0 x4 slot. That's what I would do, and obviously way cheaper than replacing your motherboard. (p.s. that HP stick of yours is really nice. I would have bought it over the Intel if it had been 5 year warranty/locally available.)

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
That's ok, it just means your system will be easier to upgrade sooner when next Zen or TR arrives! Its why I like upgrading work & home machines all around same time and salvaging *mistake* buys (*cough* *cough* *wink*) for work, for *easy* upgrades to rebuild pcs @ home!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Sadly I know fuck all about building a PC (last one I owned ran WinXP), but I just got a bonus at work and wanna get back into PC gaming and maybe dick around with streaming some. Was gonna go the Origin pre-built route, but now i'm thinking i'd be better off saving a few bucks and trying my hand at building one myself. Browsing pcpartpicker, Youtube, and the past few pages here this build caught my eye:

System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING OC, S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Most of this has already been said, but here's my take.

Unless you're going to cram everything in a small case, get a regular ATX mobo. More slots for future expansion and easier to work with.

For minimum pain I would go with 2 or 3 drives: 1 small m.2 SSD for the OS and maybe a game or two, 1 large HDD for media and such, and optionally another SSD for games and other programs. The benefit of using 3 drives is that if you keep windows and nothing else on it's own drive, recovering from OS problems becomes very easy. Just nuke the OS drive and reinstall and you're back in business.

As for the GPU, the big question is what your main monitor is and what you plan on playing. Prices are coming down, but still inflated right now. If you need all the horsepower you can get and don't mind the premium, by all means get the 1080 Ti. Otherwise I would go for a 1070 right now and invest the money saved in other areas.

Modifying your build, this is what I came up with: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX, S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
(1) What resolution do you plan to game at?
Most of this has already been said, but here's my take....

Admittedly, I don't even know if I could tell the difference between 1440p and 1080p, but would like the best resolution possible for gaming. Been a console peasant for almost a decade and wanna spoil myself here. Haven't even started looking at moniters yet but i'm open for suggestions there as well. Looking to future proof as much as possible, I figure spending the extra $300 on the overpriced GPU is worth that piece of mind whereas with the storage I can always add more as I need. Following that logic, I will likely upgrade to that Samsung 970.

Also, didn't even realize the MB was the mini.... will be going full sized for sure. Any particular reason they would be the same price? That's confusing.

Thanks for the advice btw, feel like i'm just scratching the iceberg here so more stupid questions are sure to come.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Admittedly, I don't even know if I could tell the difference between 1440p and 1080p, but would like the best resolution possible for gaming. Been a console peasant for almost a decade and wanna spoil myself here. Haven't even started looking at moniters yet but i'm open for suggestions there as well. Looking to future proof as much as possible, I figure spending the extra $300 on the overpriced GPU is worth that piece of mind whereas with the storage I can always add more as I need. Following that logic, I will likely upgrade to that Samsung 970.

Also, didn't even realize the MB was the mini.... will be going full sized for sure. Any particular reason they would be the same price? That's confusing.

Thanks for the advice btw, feel like i'm just scratching the iceberg here so more stupid questions are sure to come.

Well if you're looking for high FPS, you could stick with the 1070 and get a 144 hz 1080p monitor for now and later on get a HDR 1440 or 4k monitor when they become reasonable and retire the 1080p monitor to a secondary display. Gsync is also you might want in the monitor, but 144 hz would be a higher priority imho.

As for the mobo pricing, in some thing you pay a premium for it being small.

Fire away with all the stupid questions you may have. It's always nice to see someone build a PC rather than order a prebuilt. It's almost idiot proof these days.