Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
wilkxus wilkxus : so it's worth another $20 to move to Corsair Vengeance 3000? I'll definitely be cannibalizing this thing as we upgrade and he eventually goes to college
Depends, based on some reviews there might be some performance on table with a little tweaking if you have the patience.

1. Nice review with benchmark examples using Ryzen 2700x : Google Translate Original German: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 2700, 5 2600X & 2600 im Test (Seite 7)
  2. With APUs you get biggest difference: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Tests: How Much Does Memory Impact Gaming?
  3. More mixed results for Ryzens: Comparatif : kits de RAM DDR4 sur Ryzen, impact sur les performances

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
My new rig came in and I put it together tonight. Like everyone else who researched Ryzen, ram can be tricky, but the X470 and Zen+ increases compatibility and have improved memory controller (supposedly). I was concerned that my Hynix G.Skill ram would have problems with Ryzen (lots of report of ppl running lower than advertised speeds and lax latency), but it worked fine at 3000mhz with XMP out of box. I'm gonna see if it can run at 3200mhz just for fun later. You just gotta try it.

So far, I'm very impressed with the build. For some reason, even my GPU temps went down at least 5+C. This is also using the wraith prism while I wait for my Noctua D15S bracket to come in. The biggest improvement for me by far is no more coil whine from my 1080TI. I'm pretty OCD, and that coil whine drove me nuts.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My new rig came in and I put it together tonight. Like everyone else who researched Ryzen, ram can be tricky, but the X470 and Zen+ increases compatibility and have improved memory controller (supposedly). I was concerned that my Hynix G.Skill ram would have problems with Ryzen (lots of report of ppl running lower than advertised speeds and lax latency), but it worked fine at 3000mhz with XMP out of box. I'm gonna see if it can run at 3200mhz just for fun later. You just gotta try it.

So far, I'm very impressed with the build. For some reason, even my GPU temps went down at least 5+C. This is also using the wraith prism while I wait for my Noctua D15S bracket to come in. The biggest improvement for me by far is no more coil whine from my 1080TI. I'm pretty OCD, and that coil whine drove me nuts.
you running one fan or 2 on that noctua?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
You're spending 4.5k and using a $100 case? You should really go for a full tower if you want to go SLI. Mid towers are pretty cramped and heats up quick in SLI. If you are really going mid tower though, go Meshify-C. I have that and it has the best features in that segment. Also, unless you hate the colour, the A14 140mm will have higher air flow and lower noise.

It's honestly better to wait if you're going high end. GTX 1180 in the wilds, TR2 coming out in a few months. Your build will probably be 5k, but what's another 500 if you're buying a 4.5k build.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Ok I was just kidding about being able to wait. Always feel like I am missing something when I do this. Thoughts on this?

System Builder - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 (2-Way SLI), Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
Yep, missing Threadripper 2950X 4GHz, due in ~10 weeks. Tis a 1/5th of the build, If waited this long, might be worth wait unless you have a baby rig in another lab down the hall to toss the TR 1950X into later this summer.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You're spending 4.5k and using a $100 case? You should really go for a full tower if you want to go SLI. Mid towers are pretty cramped and heats up quick in SLI. If you are really going mid tower though, go Meshify-C. I have that and it has the best features in that segment. Also, unless you hate the colour, the A14 140mm will have higher air flow and lower noise.

It's honestly better to wait if you're going high end. GTX 1180 in the wilds, TR2 coming out in a few months. Your build will probably be 5k, but what's another 500 if you're buying a 4.5k build.

Meshify isnt compatable with EATX mobos so that wont work. I would like as much air flow as possible so will look at more cases. But I dont care about SLI and dont plan on setting it up so that additional heat isnt a concern. Waiting is also something I am not very willing to do.

Yep, missing Threadripper 2950X 4GHz, due in ~10 weeks. Tis a 1/5th of the build, If waited this long, might be worth wait unless you have a baby rig in another lab down the hall to toss the TR 1950X into later this summer.

I dont have a baby rig. I dont have any rig for that matter and am sick and tired of waiting in line or using and paying for AWS. Do you think the new processors will make that much differences for doing heavy numerics? I am fairly ignorant of hardware so any extra info is great.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I dont have a baby rig. I dont have any rig for that matter and am sick and tired of waiting in line or using and paying for AWS.
Good, AWS has its good use cases, but longer term its always expensive and inflexible compared to rolling your own.
Do you think the new processors will make that much differences for doing heavy numerics? I am fairly ignorant of hardware so any extra info is great.
Probably not. I'm not sure what your workload is obviously, but I trust you know it and your hardware requirements better than I do. I just commented on TR2 because you have 16 cores instead of 8. I figured you had use for em and therefore potential free TR2 uplift if you are already paying so much extra for 16 cores.

If by heavy numerics you mean you're training neural networks with FP16 calculations on the two gpus then it depends on how much pre/post or other processing you do on your data stream with the CPU. Strictly speaking perhaps even 8 cores will be ample for training runs.

TR are nice, whichever you get, you have lots of PCIe IO, and memory channels left over for flexible scaling potential with extra GPUs. Though IIRC your scaling options are limited after 2 GPUs as only 16x/16x/8x/8x configurations are supported.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Good, AWS has its good use cases, but longer term its always expensive and inflexible compared to rolling your own.

Probably not. I'm not sure what your workload is obviously, but I trust you know it and your hardware requirements better than I do. I just commented on TR2 because you have 16 cores instead of 8. I figured you had use for em and therefore potential free TR2 uplift if you are already paying so much extra for 16 cores.

If by heavy numerics you mean you're training neural networks with FP16 calculations on the two gpus then it depends on how much pre/post or other processing you do on your data stream with the CPU. Strictly speaking perhaps even 8 cores will be ample for training runs.

TR are nice, whichever you get, you have lots of PCIe IO, and memory channels left over for flexible scaling potential with extra GPUs. Though IIRC your scaling options are limited after 2 GPUs as only 16x/16x/8x/8x configurations are supported.
Numerics as in numerical computations/optimization. Deep learning wise all I do is Kaggle competitions. But its all the same, lots and lots of linear algebra. I realize I went a bit too ham on my build, cpu with 8 cores will be sufficient for my needs so if I get a TR, it will be the 1900 one. But now I am doubting if I will ever do more than 2 GPUs so I am reconsidering TR and might go with i7 6850k since that gets me 40 lanes. Decisions, decisions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
10% better performance? Probably best thing about TR2 will be clearing of TR1 stock.

• 1Like

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
Ok I was just kidding about being able to wait. Always feel like I am missing something when I do this. Thoughts on this?

System Builder - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 (2-Way SLI), Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Switch out the 960 evo for a 970 evo as they were just released. Also look into FuzeDrive/StoreMI, very cool tech for 300 series chipset and X470 chipset users.

StoreMI Technology for Socket AM4 motherboard | AMD
FuzeDrive for AMD Ryzen

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Any recomendations for a small basic case for an ATX board and PSU? Form factor not important but no LED crap. Emphasis small. Got an old P55 board with an i5 on it that i want to throw Linux on. Bonus points if it has an SD card reader.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just bought a ASUS 144hz 24" LED monitor. I wanted to see what's the hype regarding 144hz monitors and gaming. Man I wish I would of made this purchase long ago. It was a world of difference for me playing like this. No ghosting and everything was very smooth. I can't see myself going back to a 60hz monitor for gaming ever again.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-24-led-fhd-monitor-black/8767099.p?skuId=8767099

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I thought building a PC was easy ten years ago. It's practically potato-proof now
20180511_202908.jpg
20180512_184612.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Here's mine. Ryzen 1700 cpu, ASRock Fatal1ty x370 mobo, GTX 1080 SC, 16 gigs of Ripsaw ram and an Evo 250gb ssd. I'll probably overclock my system to 3.5-3.8 hz and the ram to 3200. I bought a Cosair liquid cooling dual fan just for it. Also I got it to get it off the carpet.

IMG_20180511_173858.jpg

IMG_20180511_173905.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users