Desktop Computers

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Almost just hit "purchase" on a 1080TI but guess I'll wait until end of the month to see what the 1180 looks like (pricing/performance). Hopefully we get an announcement soon-ish so I can make a decision....

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm really waiting on these price drops in July for a 1080, need to sell my 1070 though.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's a 1080 for $500 on Massdrop right now, so the price crash is coming and sort of already happening in anticipation of whatever the new run of cards is.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, I bought the last one I think haha.

One thing I've noticed having not built a PC in a while - why don't all MOBO's come with built in great wifi? 2018 I still have to stick a wifi stick in the back? Or I need to pay $100 more for a MOBO? Seems like such a trivial QOL thing to add to all mobo's........

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Ya, I bought the last one I think haha.

One thing I've noticed having not built a PC in a while - why don't all MOBO's come with built in great wifi? 2018 I still have to stick a wifi stick in the back? Or I need to pay $100 more for a MOBO? Seems like such a trivial QOL thing to add to all mobo's........

Better questions is why would you want wifi on a gaming PC?

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My mobo came with a decent one (Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A) but like most of these they are combo cards with bluetooth. I imagine any you get will be like this, mine is inside a shroud too. I only use it for the bluetooth.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wanted to upgrade my SSD boot drive from a 250GB I bought 5 years ago since a 1 TB SSD is only $200.

I was dreading it because to my oldass mind I was all, "fuck, I need to boot it, and reinstall everything manually.... fffuuuuuuuuuck." As I haven't done such a thing since like 2004. Then I thought about data migration tools and sure enough just grabbed one online and cloned my HD.

Didn't even have to change BIOS settings for it to take effect and not a single one of my installs or dev environments is fucked up at all. It's perfect and I have 4x the space. I was pretty amazed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wanted to upgrade my SSD boot drive from a 250GB I bought 5 years ago since a 1 TB SSD is only $200.

I was dreading it because to my oldass mind I was all, "fuck, I need to boot it, and reinstall everything manually.... fffuuuuuuuuuck." As I haven't done such a thing since like 2004. Then I thought about data migration tools and sure enough just grabbed one online and cloned my HD.

Didn't even have to change BIOS settings for it to take effect and not a single one of my installs or dev environments is fucked up at all. It's perfect and I have 4x the space. I was pretty amazed.
SSD to SSD should work out pretty easy, but platter drives don't clone the same way. I'll be doing the same soon enough, as I'm in a similar situation.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
SSD to SSD should work out pretty easy, but platter drives don't clone the same way. I'll be doing the same soon enough, as I'm in a similar situation.

Well SSD to SSD was a fucking joke. I used the Samsung Data Migration tool right off of their site. It only works for Samsung drives obviously but similar tools aren't hard to find.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
A few weeks late, but managed to build my PC without issue. In retrospect it was about as easy as advertised, but at the time I was overthinking everything and stressing myself out like crazy. Took about four and a half hours all said, many a youtube vid was watched that day. Ended up getting almost everything at a local Micro Center for cheaper or at least on par with what pcpartpicker was showing.

Went with:

Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler 1 $159.99
S340 Elite ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Matte Black 1 $84.99
Windows 10 Home 32/64-Bit - USB 1 $119.99
Vengeance LPX 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - Black 1 $179.99
BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 1 $55.99
970 EVO 250GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive 1 $92.99
ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard 1 $164.99
Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor 1 $299.99

I got my GPU from Amazon, evga 1080ti sc black 749.99 (looking forward to the impending price drop, fml)

For my Monitor I went with a Dell S2716DGR, 27" 1440p, 144hz refresh with G-Sync. Was on Sale at Best Buy for 399.00 (down from 599.00), pretty sure it was a part of their Fathers Day promo. Managed to have a bunch of points and credit stored up so I ended up paying 180.00 out of pocket. For those specs, this was a steal but it is a TN panel so that might turn some people off. Personally I am very happy with it.
http://a.co/b3XUw9O

Haven't overclocked anything yet, so i'm gonna have to start looking into doing that. Also, pretty sure I put my m.2 SSD in the wrong port but before I open my rig back up and start tinkering again I wanna just enjoy everything a bit. I feel like I got off easy building this thing without a hitch, don't wanna press my luck just yet! I would post a pic but it's a pretty common case configuration so i'll spare you all. Thank's again for the tips Denamian Denamian .

Steam Sale was perfect timing, went ham filling up a backlog of games.

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
A few weeks late, but managed to build my PC without issue. In retrospect it was about as easy as advertised, but at the time I was overthinking everything and stressing myself out like crazy. Took about four and a half hours all said, many a youtube vid was watched that day. Ended up getting almost everything at a local Micro Center for cheaper or at least on par with what pcpartpicker was showing.

Went with:

Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler 1 $159.99
S340 Elite ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Matte Black 1 $84.99
Windows 10 Home 32/64-Bit - USB 1 $119.99
Vengeance LPX 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - Black 1 $179.99
BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 1 $55.99
970 EVO 250GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive 1 $92.99
ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard 1 $164.99
Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor 1 $299.99

I got my GPU from Amazon, evga 1080ti sc black 749.99 (looking forward to the impending price drop, fml)

For my Monitor I went with a Dell S2716DGR, 27" 1440p, 144hz refresh with G-Sync. Was on Sale at Best Buy for 399.00 (down from 599.00), pretty sure it was a part of their Fathers Day promo. Managed to have a bunch of points and credit stored up so I ended up paying 180.00 out of pocket. For those specs, this was a steal but it is a TN panel so that might turn some people off. Personally I am very happy with it.
http://a.co/b3XUw9O

Haven't overclocked anything yet, so i'm gonna have to start looking into doing that. Also, pretty sure I put my m.2 SSD in the wrong port but before I open my rig back up and start tinkering again I wanna just enjoy everything a bit. I feel like I got off easy building this thing without a hitch, don't wanna press my luck just yet! I would post a pic but it's a pretty common case configuration so i'll spare you all. Thank's again for the tips Denamian Denamian .

Steam Sale was perfect timing, went ham filling up a backlog of games.

So how many buckets did you sweat hitting the power button for the first time? Did it fire up on the first time (so satisfying) or did you miss something and have to open it up again?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So how many buckets did you sweat hitting the power button for the first time? Did it fire up on the first time (so satisfying) or did you miss something and have to open it up again?

I was honestly convinced it wouldn't start up on the first try so expectations were low, when it fired right up and everything worked I was beyond elated. So glad I didn't go pre-built, the whole experience was very satisfying.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users