Desktop Computers

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Glad you posted this, bought Asus Rog STRIX board as well to compare as it seems like a great pick in the mid range

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Better questions is why would you want wifi on a gaming PC?

Problem is some cable companies have these new gateway devices as modems now and they only come with like 2 hard lines. The dude that installed my gateway for WOW internet wanted to put one of those in, I was like hold up buddy, I have 4 gaming PCs in the house that need direct lines. So he came back with some older gateway that had 4 outputs, but my wi-fi is suffering because of it( the new gateways had some new faster and better wi-fi tech).

Now I have read that you CAN plug a modem into the gateway, but fuck if Im gonna dish out another $200 for a modem.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Problem is some cable companies have these new gateway devices as modems now and they only come with like 2 hard lines. The dude that installed my gateway for WOW internet wanted to put one of those in, I was like hold up buddy, I have 4 gaming PCs in the house that need direct lines. So he came back with some older gateway that had 4 outputs, but my wi-fi is suffering because of it( the new gateways had some new faster and better wi-fi tech).

Now I have read that you CAN plug a modem into the gateway, but fuck if Im gonna dish out another $200 for a modem.

Get your own router, use the gateway modem as the Up/Down link on the router look up how to use it as just hub(the new router, turns into a Network Switch), you can get everything this way, and also use the 2nd router as a emergency firewall(if your that paranoid), I do this with my setup, I have Modem -> Pi-Hole -> Router -> everything else in my house. this way you don't even need the gateway's wifi really, your just using the up/down links too the internet from it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Get your own router, use the gateway modem as the Up/Down link on the router look up how to use it as just hub(the new router, turns into a Network Switch), you can get everything this way, and also use the 2nd router as a emergency firewall(if your that paranoid), I do this with my setup, I have Modem -> Pi-Hole -> Router -> everything else in my house. this way you don't even need the gateway's wifi really, your just using the up/down links too the internet from it.

Absolutely do this. Rely as little as possible on your ISP for hardware and use your own whenever you can. It might be more annoying to set up, but you can get things exactly as you want it instead of working around the limitations of hardware your ISP gives you.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Your wifi is flat out suffering from using anything your internet company gives you. Sorry. :(

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what youre saying is I need to buy a modem then?
Yea. Have you been renting one?

Check slickdeals and wait for a deal maybe? I picked up docsis 3.1 modem in case I ever get gig internet for $120. Last modem I had before this lasted 8 years? It pays for itself over and over compared to renting.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So what youre saying is I need to buy a modem then?

I would look for a modem + router.(That has all features and #ports you need) this is probably the easiest setup if you've never done any of this stuff,(hell most newer routers now come preconfigured too immediatly go to "switch" mode when hooked up.)

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Question nerds. Utnayan Utnayan

I have an Intel i5-3470 processor I originally got in my PC I'm 2013. I'm thinking of upgrading that and the ram I to an AMD rayan 7.

I've never had an issue with my processor yet but how much of a performance gain would I be getting here? At a guess.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For sure probably about 30%. But for gaming these days it's all about that gpu. So if you have a shit GPU that processor is not gonna help you any. But for multitasking and other shit it definitely will.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah your min frames would increase. Do it! But go intel. 8700k

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
AMD is better price/vs performance. Especially if you do other shit other than game on the comp. Maybe a few years ago I would of said fuck AMD, but today? Different story. 8 core $30-$50 cheaper than price of a 6 core Intel? Yeah ill thake that shit all day long. Gaming performance is really too close to even tell with a good GPU.

BrysB

Trakanon Raider
Hi all, I'm wanting to buy a desktop and monitor and figured I'd post here to make sure I'm getting a decent deal. I'm mainly just playing EQ on the emulation dad server, so I probably don't need something super high end or anything. I do want a PC with a SSD with a decent graphics card in case I play some other games with it. I have no clue on what qualifies a good gaming monitor. Here is what I came up with.
"Acer desktop" and "monitor"
Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got all my parts in yesterday.... Got it all put together, cable management done etc... Okay, lets fire this thing up!

MOBO lights up....

Fans spin......

Won't turn on....

Forgot to connect 8 pin power.....

Already fucking installed and routed 2 140mm fans above board.....

FML

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hi all, I'm wanting to buy a desktop and monitor and figured I'd post here to make sure I'm getting a decent deal. I'm mainly just playing EQ on the emulation dad server, so I probably don't need something super high end or anything. I do want a PC with a SSD with a decent graphics card in case I play some other games with it. I have no clue on what qualifies a good gaming monitor. Here is what I came up with.
"Acer desktop" and "monitor"
Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Watch a video and build yourself. Check youtube, there is probably 100 how to videos on this shit. Its not rocket science. Its literally like 10 things you plug into a motherboard, then you fire it up.

Bonus you will have a fresh system with no bloatware or any crap on it besides windows. 2nd bonus it will probably be cheaper. 3rd you will be able to overclock and get 10+% more performance, which means it will last longer until you have to upgrade. (Most modern BIOS on gaming type motherboards have an on off Overclock switch, which automatically overclocks your processor, so its that easy)

That Acer is not bad though if you dont want to go that route. Probably cant build one at that price. the only thing is that this is a shit outdated processor. 3 ghz and cannot be OC and compared to todays PCs which all sport 6 cores or more, yorue only getting 4. So in the longevity dept, its probably not gonna last you a long time.

Here is one thats a bit more expensive but it will probably last you longer.

System Builder - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING, 200R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got all my parts in yesterday.... Got it all put together, cable management done etc... Okay, lets fire this thing up!

MOBO lights up....

Fans spin......

Won't turn on....

Forgot to connect 8 pin power.....

Already fucking installed and routed 2 140mm fans above board.....

FML
That's almost as bad as forgetting to install the rear port backplate on the motherboard.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finished build, running benchmarks, updating drivers etc. Running stable at 4.2, staying fairly cool as well (was worried about intake through front panel... might still be an issue later). Overall, a nice case to build in and couldn't have been easier (user error aside). Still like Meshify C case quite a bit, if airflow becomes an issue I'll probably switch. Still running 1070, anxious for 1180 to drop or at least give us a date so I can decide whether 1080 TI is worth the purchase now.

IMG_0980.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg