Desktop Computers

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Go ahead and laugh, not a computer oriented person.

On my 2nd computer (IE work computer) I want to finally upgraded to windows 10 and scrap the really small SSD I have for a boot and put in a new one. Best way to do this with a fresh install would be to download windows 10 and do a flash card boot of windows 10 instead of writing over windows 7 and doing a migrate?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Go ahead and laugh, not a computer oriented person.

On my 2nd computer (IE work computer) I want to finally upgraded to windows 10 and scrap the really small SSD I have for a boot and put in a new one. Best way to do this with a fresh install would be to download windows 10 and do a flash card boot of windows 10 instead of writing over windows 7 and doing a migrate?

Go here and download the media creation tool. Let it create a bootable usb drive for you. If it still gives the option, let it do the slow format of the drive to prep it as I have had issues in the past with quick format if it's changing the drive from NTFS to FAT32. Once you create the drive and verify that you can boot from it, replace the old SSD and do a fresh install of windows.

The upgrade will not be free, so you'll either have to pay the 100 or so to microsoft or find a grey market key on reddit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Thanks, already have a key (or ask for another one from the company that gives them to me). I didn't really want to migrate because the drive has been there forever without a fresh install and no telling what's in the registery and such.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks, already have a key. I didn't really want to migrate because the drive has been there forever without a fresh install and no telling what's in the registery and such.

A fresh install on to a SSD is pretty fast and painless nowadays. Make sure not to go with the recommended privacy settings during setup, so you can disable a lot of the crap you don't need.

Borzak

Yeah, have a list of all the stuff to turn off. I installed windows 10 when it came out. Didn't care for it so just went back Windows 7. I'll still use windows 7 on my non work computer because I have no reaon to upgrade as of yet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

In all seriousness, it's just a bit of fun. Plus, there are RGB's on literally every component now from mice/keyboards, etc. You can turn them all off or on depending on preference.

As to the build itself - the BIOS wasn't recognizing my stock RAM speed (3200) and wouldn't clock over 2600. Kind of annoying - found a bunch of threads with similar issues on x470 boards, and also found out I could manually enter speed/timings/voltage and that should push it through. FINALLY got it to 3200 and will just leave there for now. Seems stable. CPU OC was a bit unstable at 4.3, so will leave around 4.1 for now. Any good benchmarks other than userbenchmark? Want a long'ish stress test to see how cool the case stays and to ensure my clocks stay stable.

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

In all seriousness, it's just a bit of fun. Plus, there are RGB's on literally every component now from mice/keyboards, etc. You can turn them all off or on depending on preference.

As to the build itself - the BIOS wasn't recognizing my stock RAM speed (3200) and wouldn't clock over 2600. Kind of annoying - found a bunch of threads with similar issues on x470 boards, and also found out I could manually enter speed/timings/voltage and that should push it through. FINALLY got it to 3200 and will just leave there for now. Seems stable. CPU OC was a bit unstable at 4.3, so will leave around 4.1 for now. Any good benchmarks other than userbenchmark? Want a long'ish stress test to see how cool the case stays and to ensure my clocks stay stable.

Yeah, Ryzen is picky with certain ram kits, and apparently It loves kits with samsung b-die chips. These resources might help you out.

B-Die Finder

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...lator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html

Also try undervolting your processor with the voltage offset and raising the front side bus from 100 to 101 in bios if you can. People have claimed to reach higher clock speeds running at stock, and by letting XFR do its thing.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone built a box just for dedicated server stuff? Thinking maybe Minecraft and some flavor of the month stuff so right now it'd include Conan Exiles. Pretty sure my old e6600 build w/ more RAM and a new HDD wouldn't cut it, but wondering if others have done something like this and might have any suggestions. Looking for a relatively cheap build, which I suppose it can be by default since I won't need a nice video card for it.

Not interested in Plex, media sharing, etc.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Never been a console guy, so I've never gotten the "hang" of controllers. But some games just don't play right with a keyboard and mouse. For example the GTA games.

So I've been thinking of getting me a controller to stick into my PC for such rare occasions, but I have no idea what to go for. Any recommendations?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I only used kb/mouse in GTA, but otherwise for games like Rocket League I use my Xbox One Elite controller. The DS4 can work as well. Both typically need a dongle (Windows receiver or bluetooth if you don't have it natively).

For rare occasions I'd get your console controller of choice and call it a day - or if you have a console you just need their included USB cable or similar.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Never been a console guy, so I've never gotten the "hang" of controllers. But some games just don't play right with a keyboard and mouse. For example the GTA games.

So I've been thinking of getting me a controller to stick into my PC for such rare occasions, but I have no idea what to go for. Any recommendations?

Xbox One S controller. They go on sale all the time for about $30 - $35 and they are bar none the best computer controller ever made. If your hands are small/medium then holding them wrong (index fingers resting on the shoulder) will cause some pain, but just hold them with your index fingers on the triggers and use the bottom portion of your index finger to activate the shoulders. Once you get that down, they are money. Way nicer to use than PS controllers simply due to the ability to hit the d-pad with your off hand so you don't have to claw grip the controller.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Msi x399 board is aids. Bios is trash. Avoid if possible.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I used to use a wired 360 controller, but now I use a DS4. Steam supports it on windows so you no longer have to get 3rd party software to make it work. I just with more devs would include the option to use DS4 button prompts in their games.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
In the last few days I learned that not all mobos and processor combos work with just any ram. At least not at the speeds that ram rated at. And by mobos and processors combos I mean piece of shit MSI gaming board and threadrippers. Why is the MSI x399 trash you ask? Because it doesnt fucking reset the BIOS when you reset CMOS. Why i dont know. Finally got this shit stable at 3k mhz. Ugh. I bet intel chips dont cause these problems.