Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I need the 2080 released NOW goddammit. Just got a raise backdated to July so I can finally afford a high end GPU on release for the first time in a long time.

This wait is killing me
It seems like the TI is going to release right off the bat too, go big!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man.... I just spent a lot of money repainting the exterior of my house, but really thinking about one of these new cards to replace my 980TI

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tempting, but I may have to settle for just the regular 2080. Either way it will be a nice upgrade over my 970 gtx.
Same card that I have and expect to use for at least another year. Lol. At least some of the other parts are getting upgraded!

Speaking of that, today is the day! Had a lazy morning, and got a buddy coming over. Gonna completely gut my case, clean it, blow all the parts liberally (lol), and then put it all back together. If we don't lose a screw, or have to take at least one trip to the store, I'll be surprised!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Same card that I have and expect to use for at least another year. Lol. At least some of the other parts are getting upgraded!

Speaking of that, today is the day! Had a lazy morning, and got a buddy coming over. Gonna completely gut my case, clean it, blow all the parts liberally (lol), and then put it all back together. If we don't lose a screw, or have to take at least one trip to the store, I'll be surprised!

Any hardware store will have magnetic bowls... problem solved hah

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
God damn, fuck Corsair and their shitty bracket designs for the AIO coolers. It took me well over 2 hours to get that thing off and the AMD one put on. I've never seen something so poorly engineered from a multi-million dollar company.

1. the instructions are wrong and tell you to turn it the wrong way.

2. due to the rounded edges facing down it chews into your hands and fingers, it's also spaced in just a way that you can't put equal pressure on it to get it off. I ended up having to partially disassemble the heatsink area just to get it off.

Otherwise everything else went very smoothly and I'm up and running.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
liquid metal thermal compound for cpu/gpu..yay or nay? Anyone have any experience with it?
Gonna delid your CPU? If you're going to go all the way, it's worth it. Gamers Nexus has a few good liquid metal delid videos.

New intel CPUs are supposed to use solder again though.

Crone

So got the new nvme m.2 drive, and it's fast and shit, but damn is it annoying to figure out how to copy settings over from like every thing. Games was easy. Point all the launchers at the game files that are still on my storage drives. But everything revolving around my Plex setup was just a pain.

Think I finally got it, but oh well. Was fun as hell putting in all the new parts. Ended up buying my friends case as well, since it was super quiet, and nice, and despite mine being popular, Antec 900, buddies Fractal case was way nicer, and $30. :)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking about pre-ordering the RTX 2080 asap when it comes out, and replacing my GTX970, and also buying a 4k monitor to replace my 1920x1200 one.

Should I be expected to be bottlenecked by my cpu, which is a little old at i7-4790K? Or is 4k gaming so dependent on GPUs these days that it should be fine?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
4790k is almost certainly still fine and will remain fine.

Still rocking a 4770k but likely going to the new 9900k by end of year.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Will probably do the pre-order also once we can get a look at all the different versions. Still planning on sticking with EVGA this go around. Last 5 or so cards from them have all been perfect.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
M.2 mounting: Where do you guys order the M.2 nut standoff and hex screws when it's missing from the mb box - asus? It's an old asus B150-pro (keke). Ebay prices range from $5 to insane for these :S They have different sizes too across different mobos. I thought this was iso standardized :( Was looking for a bundle of these:

asusparts Asus, 13020-01810000, Asus M.2 SCREW+SCREW HEX FOR HM

This is the one supposed to be in my box.

Edit: maybe this one?
300pcs M2/M3 Brass Hex Column Standoff Spacer Screw Nut Assortment Kit With Box | eBay

Last edited:

Crone

1c20ae4e0b86714db5f0e7847b586bc4.png

New Ryzen 7 1700 temps. Played some Monster Hunter on it, with an ambient temp around 70 degrees F.

Normal?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I read that Ryzen's give up some power efficiency and temperature envelope for performance, but your pc seems to think you have a geforce.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Early pricing leaks (allegedly):

2080TI $1049

2080 $749

Fuck you AMD, for not being competitive for so long

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking about pre-ordering the RTX 2080 asap when it comes out, and replacing my GTX970, and also buying a 4k monitor to replace my 1920x1200 one.

Should I be expected to be bottlenecked by my cpu, which is a little old at i7-4790K? Or is 4k gaming so dependent on GPUs these days that it should be fine?
I would wait for the 3rd party cards. They usually have better clocks and better coolers on them for same price, or thereabouts. Worth the wait IMO.

• 1Solidarity