Desktop Computers

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I would imagine waiting for the ti variety makes more sense if replacing current gen cards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So like literally every new generation then?
Not sure what you're talking about, the 1070 was something like an 60% jump over the 970.

If those new specs are real, some napkin math says at least a 30% jump.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Not sure what you're talking about, the 1070 was something like an 60% jump over the 970.

If those new specs are real, some napkin math says at least a 30% jump.

How do you figure that? Take the current # of cores and add 15%...you get exactly what they are expecting. More memory bandwidth and higher clock adds a couple %.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How do you figure that? Take the current # of cores and add 15%...you get exactly what they are expecting. More memory bandwidth and higher clock adds a couple %.
I was looking at the expected column not the rumored column. Those rumored specs do not look right.

wccftech used to be a good HW rumor site but they've been posting baseless garbage the past year or so.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
shit, must resist. I have the 1080p 144hz version from a few years ago and it's a very good monitor.

also:
+ USD $20 off w/ promo code EMCPXEV22, ends 8/22
I'm in the same boat. Have the same monitor currently. I only have a 960 since I've been waiting for the new cards so I can't run it for shit, and I'll wait till the third party cards come out before buying a 2080. Dunno

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So I lucked the hell out and found a 27" Dell Ultra 4K P2715 monitor sitting in a thrift shop. Picked it up for $16.

NOW, I need a new video card to push these pixels around. My GTX 950 is choking up in World of Warcraft even at moderate settings. Any recommendations for a video card -- specifically for WoW -- that can handle this resolution? (3840x2160). I realize my CPU could also be a limiting factor -- it's an i5-2500K.

Any opinions and recommendations appreciated.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
k series is unlocked so you could overclock it, the new series of gpu's are coming out in less than a month, you could probably pickup the low end model.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
k series is unlocked so you could overclock it, the new series of gpu's are coming out in less than a month, you could probably pickup the low end model.
Yeah, I never had any luck getting this 2500k high enough to make a significant difference.

Anyway, so you're saying wait a month or so. I can survive until then -- it's not that bad.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I never had any luck getting this 2500k high enough to make a significant difference.

Anyway, so you're saying wait a month or so. I can survive until then -- it's not that bad.
Rumors are for Nvidia to drop the next gen on the 20th at gamescom. I wouldn't expect less than the 2080 right out of the gate though

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the best monitor for 1080p 144hz G-syncs? I have a 970, and probably will for a long while. At 1080p is G-sync even necessary?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Have the same processor, and after 7 years I'm finally replacing it with a Ryzen 7 1700 after a buddy offered to sell me his used one at a great deal. I've had mine OC'ed at 4.2ghz stable for a while now. Great damn processor! Ride it out as long as possible!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So I've run a dual monitor setup for more than a decade now, and all that time only used one GFX card. They've always had two monitor slots. It's always been that my primary has been for gaming and the secondary for browsers. Always worked fine so I've never had to think about these things too hard.

However, I've recently been thinking about getting a third monitor, even going for four. But I'm wondering what you need to do in order to do that, and what effect it has on game performance. Let's just say I add a third monitor to my existing setup, same size (24" I think) as the others, and use it for something as similarly extensive as browsers. For shits and giggles let's say I'm playing a MMO on my main, got Twitch on one monitor and a quest guide or whatever on the third. Will I need a dual GFX card setup to make it run, or how do I plug 3 monitors into the two slots? Will I see a marked difference in game performance, and if so, is it entirely due to load on the GFX card, or to other factors?

Finally, any good guides on seting up a 3+ monitor system that you folks know about?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I've run a dual monitor setup for more than a decade now, and all that time only used one GFX card. They've always had two monitor slots. It's always been that my primary has been for gaming and the secondary for browsers. Always worked fine so I've never had to think about these things too hard.

However, I've recently been thinking about getting a third monitor, even going for four. But I'm wondering what you need to do in order to do that, and what effect it has on game performance. Let's just say I add a third monitor to my existing setup, same size (24" I think) as the others, and use it for something as similarly extensive as browsers. For shits and giggles let's say I'm playing a MMO on my main, got Twitch on one monitor and a quest guide or whatever on the third. Will I need a dual GFX card setup to make it run, or how do I plug 3 monitors into the two slots? Will I see a marked difference in game performance, and if so, is it entirely due to load on the GFX card, or to other factors?

Finally, any good guides on seting up a 3+ monitor system that you folks know about?
Most high end video cards have 4 monitor outputs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user