Desktop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I've run a dual monitor setup for more than a decade now, and all that time only used one GFX card. They've always had two monitor slots. It's always been that my primary has been for gaming and the secondary for browsers. Always worked fine so I've never had to think about these things too hard.

However, I've recently been thinking about getting a third monitor, even going for four. But I'm wondering what you need to do in order to do that, and what effect it has on game performance. Let's just say I add a third monitor to my existing setup, same size (24" I think) as the others, and use it for something as similarly extensive as browsers. For shits and giggles let's say I'm playing a MMO on my main, got Twitch on one monitor and a quest guide or whatever on the third. Will I need a dual GFX card setup to make it run, or how do I plug 3 monitors into the two slots? Will I see a marked difference in game performance, and if so, is it entirely due to load on the GFX card, or to other factors?

Finally, any good guides on seting up a 3+ monitor system that you folks know about?
My 1070 has 4 displayports

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Taking my computer entirely apart tomorrow, and putting in new parts. Haven't built a computer in a really long time, other than putting in a video card or something. Do I need to be looking at anything? I've got my anti-static mat ready to go, and my canned air charged up so I can really do it right!!

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I usually take my PC to my garage and blow it out using my compressor every 4-6 mos or so. Obviously being careful.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I only know of Newegg and Frys for computer components here in Oregon.
Where else is there?
Any wholesale part stores, or cheaper retailers?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So it looks like potentially the entire line, 2050-2080ti of new nvidia cards launches Monday on Nvidia's site for preorder. I would expect partner cards within a month.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
liquid metal thermal compound for cpu/gpu..yay or nay? Anyone have any experience with it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Went to Fry's today to see if they'd price match the CPU/Mobo since Microcenter is on the otherside of the Metroplex and it's 120 dollar cheaper. Of course they are out of the CPU.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So I did my delid today on my 8700k, used the Rockitcool 88 kit with new Copper IHS, and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal. Installed my new Scythe Mugen 5 using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
Copper Upgrade Kit for 1151

Installed my new Scythe Mugen 5 using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

This last week I tested my CPU and in Prime95 it hit 80c at stock settings with my old Hyper 212+, and Arctic Silver MX-2. At Gigabytes built in automatic 4.9ghz OC it went straight to 100c and thermal throttled.

With the new setup I'm getting 65c at stock settings in Prime95, and 85-90c while Auto OC'ed to 4.9ghz. This is with ambient temperatures of 85f as we don't have AC.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So I did my delid today on my 8700k, used the Rockitcool 88 kit with new Copper IHS, and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal. Installed my new Scythe Mugen 5 using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

This last week I tested my CPU and in Prime95 it hit 80c at stock settings with my old Hyper 212+, and Arctic Silver MX-2. At Gigabytes built in automatic 4.9ghz OC it went straight to 100c and thermal throttled.

With the new setup I'm getting 65c at stock settings in Prime95, and 85-90c while Auto OC'ed to 4.9ghz. This is with ambient temperatures of 85f as we don't have AC.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
lol, yeah some of that threw me for a loop too.

I went and picked up my stuff, this will be my first top of the line build in my life (Vid Card aside). I'm really excited to put it all together tomorrow.

Ryzen 2700x
MSI Gaming Plus X470
Corsair H115v2
Pro Team Dark PC3200 Cas 14
GTX 1070
27" 144hz Gsync 1440 monitor

This bitch better sing!

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I modded my CPU and lowered temps by 15 degrees celsius. Or like 27 degrees Fahrenheit.
How complicated was it really? Did it make you nervous at all?

I thought about it when I got my 7700k but was too worried about something going wrong.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

I miss when I gave a fuck about spending several hours polishing surfaces for a single degree Celsius in thermal impedance to assure the stability of an additional 100mhz oc. These days it's cheaper and easier to just brute force it with a solid cooling solution. If you're not using an NO2 cylinder you're wasting a lot time and netting zero gain when a little dust can negate the benefit.

That you can get 4.9 out of a simple Hyper 212 you should count your blessings. Assuming it's in any way stable.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
How complicated was it really? Did it make you nervous at all?

I thought about it when I got my 7700k but was too worried about something going wrong.

Stupid simple with the Rockitcool kit. I was slightly nervous about booting for the first time, but pretty confident.
Note: I work in IT, and disassembled a laptop twice today to bare components. The "sketchiness" of this mod did not scare me much.

If you do liquid metal go REALLY light on the application. Apply to both cpu chip, and undersider of IHS.

I miss when I gave a fuck about spending several hours polishing surfaces for a single degree Celsius in thermal impedance to assure the stability of an additional 100mhz oc. These days it's cheaper and easier to just brute force it with a solid cooling solution. If you're not using an NO2 cylinder you're wasting a lot time and netting zero gain when a little dust can negate the benefit.

That you can get 4.9 out of a simple Hyper 212 you should count your blessings. Assuming it's in any way stable.

The 212+ did NOT handle this at 4.9ghz, it hit 100c and thermally throttled almost instantly when I applied Prime95. I'm coming off a 2500k that my 212+ handled admirably at 4.3ghz for many years. A new beefier cooler, and the delidding was was "needed" to get what I wanted out of my new CPU that I intend to last another 5+ years.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I need the 2080 released NOW goddammit. Just got a raise backdated to July so I can finally afford a high end GPU on release for the first time in a long time.

This wait is killing me