Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Prices ont hese things are reaching absurdity. Can build a whole damn PC for $600-800 including top of the line AMD or INTEL processor and then I need to double the cost for a god damn video card? Fuck you!

Hope AMD drops with something to take the fucking steam away from these fucking Nvidia crooks.
No one is telling you you need a full size professional rendering GPU cut down and shoved into your home PC.

I feel like the 2070 is pretty reasonably priced but this is all a stupid thing to argue about until we see benchmarks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
$500 for a gpu is still fucking nuts. Might as well join the console club then, lol. Can get a xbox ultra or whatever the fuck for that same price and play on 65 in 4K TV. 60 fps. No wonder PC gaming is dying.

• 2EyeRoll
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Debatable, ive bought and sold and never had an issue personally - If you buy from someone whos also selling 5+ of the same card then yes, but those are things you can somewhat check or inquire about at time of purchase.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I need to replace my SSD which looks like it's failing.

My current one is:
  • Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

All the acronyms are doing my head in trying to understand.

Is this a like for like replacement that is going to fit into my motherboard? ( Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI LGA1151 )

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Apparently that tomb raider game is horribly optimized for ray tracing right now

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
[H]ardOCP: NVIDIA Clearing Out Last-Gen Stocks

NVIDIA informed us through its earnings call that sales into the cryptocurrency market had all but dried up and much of that business was shifting over to purpose built ASICs. Digitimes, which is usually a very solid source for this type of information, is reporting that NVIDIA's second quarter revenues are much better than expected. It is suggesting that ten of NVIDIA's AIBs have taken "massive contracted shipments." What this means is, and let me translate, "You had better sell all these "old" GPUs, or you will not be getting new GPUs."

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Gonna delid your CPU? If you're going to go all the way, it's worth it. Gamers Nexus has a few good liquid metal delid videos.

New intel CPUs are supposed to use solder again though.

Was considering it (have a 6700k). Was also considering using it between the cpu and heatsync/fan though im hesitant based on what ive read as far as cooling benefit and the potential to damage things if its not done properly. Plus it sounds like it needs to be re-applied every year due to it drying out...meh, not sure its worth the hassle really.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was considering it (have a 6700k). Was also considering using it between the cpu and heatsync/fan though im hesitant based on what ive read as far as cooling benefit and the potential to damage things if its not done properly. Plus it sounds like it needs to be re-applied every year due to it drying out...meh, not sure its worth the hassle really.
man, unless you're going for 1mhz super increments, just use good ole arctic silver 5(as5). I remember using all those weird ass shin etsu shits that got annoying. Just as5, that shit don't dry out.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

I would not use it on top of the IHS, especially if you have a cooler with ANY aluminum.

man, unless you're going for 1mhz super increments, just use good ole arctic silver 5(as5). I remember using all those weird ass shin etsu shits that got annoying. Just as5, that shit don't dry out.

AS5 is so behind the times. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for liquid metal, and Kryonaut for thermal paste all the way!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
NVIDIA says the RTX 2080 GPU is twice as fast as the GTX 1080

TuringVsPascal_EditorsDay_Aug22_2.png

nvidia-geforce-gtx-2080-games-jpg.98096

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I summon the all wise, all knowing, all product returning Brahma Brahma ! I need you to give this bad mofo a test drive, lol. I'm thinking of getting this with a large chair instead of buying a desk chair that will wear out in a few years.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I summon the all wise, all knowing, all product returning Brahma Brahma ! I need you to give this bad mofo a test drive, lol. I'm thinking of getting this with a large chair instead of buying a desk chair that will wear out in a few years.

LOL. Been there done that. Snagged this one and the Roccat. This was WAAAY better than the Roccat version, because of the cushions as arm rests. Returned both because I never gamed from the couch. Son always using the big TV.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I did some pc gaming from a lazyboy for a year or so and it seriously fucked up my wrists. I didn't have a premade board like the couchmaster, but pretty much used a board and some pillows to get the same effect. The ergonomics just don't work for extensive usage. Your wrists end up resting on the board too much and bending vertically. A lot of it can be avoided by having the board at a lower level than your resting elbow height, (so that your wrists hang) but it's really hard to accomplish when dealing with the chair and the board together.

If your concern is having to replace a desk chair, get one from staples with the extended warranty (they're super no hassle with it) or find a herman miller or steelcase chair. They're expensive, but can be found easily enough via craigslist etc...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I did some pc gaming from a lazyboy for a year or so and it seriously fucked up my wrists. I didn't have a premade board like the couchmaster, but pretty much used a board and some pillows to get the same effect. The ergonomics just don't work for extensive usage. Your wrists end up resting on the board too much and bending vertically. A lot of it can be avoided by having the board at a lower level than your resting elbow height, (so that your wrists hang) but it's really hard to accomplish when dealing with the chair and the board together.

If your concern is having to replace a desk chair, get one from staples with the extended warranty (they're super no hassle with it) or find a herman miller or steelcase chair. They're expensive, but can be found easily enough via craigslist etc...

I was looking at more of a big single chair, wide enough to fit that thing but with only one cushion. La z boy seems too narrow, I got a big comfy round chair that this potentially could work on but wasn't sure.

I figured this version with cushions might actually be worth a shit.

EDIT: We were rolling at the German website for the thing Der Couchmeister!!!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was looking at more of a big single chair, wide enough to fit that thing but with only one cushion. La z boy seems too narrow, I got a big comfy round chair that this potentially could work on but wasn't sure.

I figured this version with cushions might actually be worth a shit.

I'm sure it can be made to work, provided you're aware of the potential issues beforehand. If you look at the 3rd image on the amazon page, you can see how his elbows are slightly below the actual height of the board, which means his wrists are bending so his fingers point down. That puts stress on the wrists and can result in tendonitis or RSI. You would need something to elevate your elbows a bit more, which kind of invalidates the reason for buying it in the first place as it's intended to be a one part solution.

Still worth checking out thanks to Amazon's good return policy, but I'd definitely put a lot of thought into it before purchasing a chair to go along with it.

Once the damage is done to your wrists, you can't really repair them, and as gamers, we're really susceptible to the associated injuries. (I'm wearing wrist braces as I type this)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users