Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That list is useless for anything other than disconnected reference. You can't just slap down a list of various/unknown stress tests, have different voltages, ambients, cases, and cooling setups and have it be useful for accurate comparison.

The temps are pretty damn high though. It's no wonder they finally went back to solder. Shit wouldn't have worked without it.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Looking for a cheap, reliable business-class desktop for my mom. Needs to have a SSD and support for dual monitors. Doesn't need to be super-powerful processing-wise. Under $600, $500, if possible. Suggestions?

Del

Vyemm Raider
I mean, there seems to be something wrong with the ASRock boards. Temps are all way higher on those. ~80C under benchmark is pretty much expected. Every high end Intel CPU has been like this for a while.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I mean, there seems to be something wrong with the ASRock boards. Temps are all way higher on those. ~80C under benchmark is pretty much expected. Every high end Intel CPU has been like this for a while.

When it comes to mobo's and CPU temp, all that should matter is the voltage going into it. If a chart is saying that the same CPU is reaching higher temps from one brand's mobos compared to another, and it's the same voltage: then there's something else at play like cooling setups or inconsistent testing methodologies (different tests or different AVX settings etc...)

What a good mobo does for CPU temps is allow you to reach your target clocks at lower voltage.

There is some very clear problems with that chart and how big the differences are, and I really don't think the issue at play is the motherboards themselves. The chart has 4 different stress tests listed and those alone can cause double digit differences easily. Then factor in different cooling setups, ambient, and unknown methodologies and it isn't worth a damn.

For anyone actually wanting to compare the temps between mobo manufacturers, I strongly urge you to find results from the same trusted reviewer and not go by something like this that draws from several sources.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Ended up getting the soundblaster Zx, they had an open box on Amazon so I snagged it. I like having the control knob.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking for a cheap, reliable business-class desktop for my mom. Needs to have a SSD and support for dual monitors. Doesn't need to be super-powerful processing-wise. Under $600, $500, if possible. Suggestions?
dealsites were showing refurb amazon dells
Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Business Desktop Tower PC (Intel Quad Core i7 4770, 16GB Ram, 240GB Brand New SSD, WIFI, Dual Monitor Support HDMI + VGA, DVD-RW, WIFI) Win 10 Pro (Certified Refurbished)

it's pretty beefy for 400 ish bucks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
When it comes to mobo's and CPU temp, all that should matter is the voltage going into it. If a chart is saying that the same CPU is reaching higher temps from one brand's mobos compared to another, and it's the same voltage: then there's something else at play like cooling setups or inconsistent testing methodologies (different tests or different AVX settings etc...)

What a good mobo does for CPU temps is allow you to reach your target clocks at lower voltage.

There is some very clear problems with that chart and how big the differences are, and I really don't think the issue at play is the motherboards themselves. The chart has 4 different stress tests listed and those alone can cause double digit differences easily. Then factor in different cooling setups, ambient, and unknown methodologies and it isn't worth a damn.

For anyone actually wanting to compare the temps between mobo manufacturers, I strongly urge you to find results from the same trusted reviewer and not go by something like this that draws from several sources.
This video explains the differences, at least it's one explanation but it seems pretty believable. Some of the motherboards used for tests simply didn't have enough power the cores for full output, so they run a lot less hot, but obviously they also run at lower frequencies.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm thinking of buying a 4 port USB hub for keyboard, mouse, and a hotas setup. I've never had reason to use one before though. Is there anything I should know before buying? Any problems with increased latency/conflicts when using one for 4 separate input devices? Any brands/features to avoid?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Pump on my cooler is dying and my current pc is old anyways so time to get a new one. Worst part about building a new pc is keeping the price down!

This is one of the cheaper ones I am leaning towards (1400ish vs 1800+). Cheap option

I was considering were gtx 1060/1070/1070ti (altho I guess rtx 2070 is basically same price as 1070 ti so there's that option now too) but I dunno. I swapped to the rx580 in the one I linked because it would let me use freesync with the monitor and seems to be fairly evenly matched with a 1060. Never used freesync/gsync or a 144hz monitor so dunno if it will even make a difference.

Was also considering going for 1440p instead of 1080p but i'm not sure how i'd feel with a 27inch monitor (using a 21.5 atm, biggest i've used was 24 on a different desk than I have now).

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Upgrading old htpc to AMD Zen.

Keyboard & mouse will be shared with gaming PC via Bluetooth.

Problems?
(1) Ordered the SFX PSU already without realizing it needed an adapter bracket.
(2) Not sure Hyper 212 EVO will actually fit with RAM on m-itx but gonna try. Failing that the Wraith Prism from the Ryzen 2700x.
Planning on using the 2400G APU for htpc stuff on Linux and later adding a dedicated GFX for GPU passthrough for Windows gaming instead of dual booting.

~~~~
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
old CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO + Other: Cooler Master rr-am4b-h212-s1 AM4 adapter
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($170.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team - T-Force XTREEM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 760p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg Business)
old Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($85.43 @ OutletPC)
Other: SilverStone Technology Universal ATX to SFX Power Supply Bracket RL-PP08B ($10.80 @ Amazon)
Other: Majestouch Convertible 2 Brown switch/US ($172.04 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G603 Wireless Optical Mouse
~~~~

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Imoressive that you've gone from a homeless meth head to purchasing a $1400 computer. Congrats man!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Intel posting record revenue despite rushed releases and low supply, and AMD stock crashing despite gaining a lot of ground outside of the GPU market. Shit is frustrating as a consumer.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ended up going for the 2070 and 1440p setup, tweaked a few things from the list I linked earlier. Hopefully it ends up being nice cause i'm back to being fairly poor now!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users