Desktop Computers

Del

Vyemm Raider
Nice. Similar to the build I did last year. Sadly I was only able to overclock my 8700k to 4.8ghz and remain stable. :/

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nice. Similar to the build I did last year. Sadly I was only able to overclock my 8700k to 4.8ghz and remain stable. :/

I have the same issue with my 8700k. I'm pretty sure that the supposed % of them that can hit 5k was really overblown at release (There were claims of up to 70%)

lost

<Bronze Donator>
fun times this week, dad had bought an enermax liquid cooler heatsink for his new AMD processor, and after 6 months it popped open and spewed coolant everywhere. beware lol. I guess at the time it was the only liquid cooler for his chip

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've been using air since the start and will continue to use air due to fears of that exact thing happening. A high end air setup is as effective as any AIO and costs the same. There's no way I'm willing to risk it just to clear up some space in the case.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
After reading the comments on Liquid I just called Xidax and switched out my Liquid CPU Cooler to a Fan, it was a $35 change in my favor so they gave me a $50 Keyboard and ate the $15. So far I am thrilled with the service these guy offer, we shall see how I feel in a week or two after getting some time in on the machine.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got myself a R7 1700 earlier this year instead of an i7 and I don't regret it one bit. It just does its job, no issues at all, and I saved a lot of money over the i7.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
I've been using air since the start and will continue to use air due to fears of that exact thing happening. A high end air setup is as effective as any AIO and costs the same. There's no way I'm willing to risk it just to clear up some space in the case.

Even though I've never used liquid cooling, I've had a top end Noctua for years, and with the new push/pull fans on my current setup, I can't really see how liquid would improve it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Even though I've never used liquid cooling, I've had a top end Noctua for years, and with the new push/pull fans on my current setup, I can't really see how liquid would improve it.

I think a lot of people confuse the performance of an full-fledged liquid setup with basic AIO's and give too much weight to the AIO's as a result. It's been a year or so since I did my last round of research, but it took AIO's 25-50% more expensive to reach the performance of a Noctua DH15. Despite this, the grouptink about the wonders of AIO's is pervasive, even when it comes to situations where the low-profile nature isn't important. That they look neat now and have RGB doesn't help the problem either. And then there's pump failures vs the no chance of failure for a heatsink, and higher GPU temps when it comes to front-rad setups.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Downfacing coolers can be problematic if the rest of the fan setup isn't great, but be quiet makes good coolers. Shouldn't have any problem.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
my old LG monitor is dying. It doesn't want to turn on when it's been off for the night. It's literally been a decade (LG W2600HP bought in 07.10.2008, I looked up the date), I need advice on what to get.

Dell 27" LCD UltraSharp U2717D caught my eye. So anything in the same price range and specs really.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
my old LG monitor is dying. It doesn't want to turn on when it's been off for the night. It's literally been a decade (LG W2600HP bought in 07.10.2008, I looked up the date), I need advice on what to get.

Dell 27" LCD UltraSharp U2717D caught my eye. So anything in the same price range and specs really.

That's pretty pricey for a 60hz 1440p monitor without any sort of async.

Monitors have a lot more options nowadays. First you need to decide on what resolution you want (need a good GPU to manage the higher ones for gaming) then whether you want ultrawide or not, then whether you want gsync/freesync, then your panel type (IPS/VA/TN) and then the panel size. Figure out your use-case first and then go through those options (note that pretty much all of them have drawbacks as well as advantages)

Alternatively, you can do what I'm doing and giving up on monitors altogether and just use a good TV

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

I would go for a 32" panel , at 1440p things on screen will look same size at with your 24" 1080p LG.

I still have an almost identical model from 2007 still purring today that had what sounds like the identical symptoms ~ 2012.

(edit)
Screens of better quality are cheap nowdays but you might be able to keep it for a second monitor with a quick repair. Most likely a capacitor is dead and needs to be replaced, easy fix if you know anyone handy with a soldering iron. The fix cost a $2-3 for a capacitor or two from a local electronics store and 15 -30 min time.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
That's pretty pricey for a 60hz 1440p monitor without any sort of async.

Monitors have a lot more options nowadays. First you need to decide on what resolution you want (need a good GPU to manage the higher ones for gaming) then whether you want ultrawide or not, then whether you want gsync/freesync, then your panel type (IPS/VA/TN) and then the panel size. Figure out your use-case first and then go through those options (note that pretty much all of them have drawbacks as well as advantages)

Alternatively, you can do what I'm doing and giving up on monitors altogether and just use a good TV

cool, time to hit the internets and do some research.

I would go for a 32" panel , at 1440p things on screen will look same size at with your 24" 1080p LG.

I still have an almost identical model from 2007 still purring today that had what sounds like the identical symptoms ~ 2012.

(edit)
Screens of better quality are cheap nowdays but you might be able to keep it for a second monitor with a quick repair. Most likely a capacitor is dead and needs to be replaced, easy fix if you know anyone handy with a soldering iron. The fix cost a $2-3 for a capacitor or two from a local electronics store and 15 -30 min time.

damn, I really think I should give it a go. I might have seen a soldering iron in a toolbox about 5 years ago, only if I can find it now. I'll probably have a new monitor lined up just in case I fuck the soldering up. No real big loss if I do, I think my current one has served me very well, and it's gonna be replaced rather sooner than later (was aiming for the cyberpunk game release and do a major upgrade before that). Would be nice if it did last that long.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Asus PRIME Z270-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

My computer is pretty laughable right now. I know my biggest upgrade would be to finally pick up a video card. I wonder if I should just because.
I saw a GTX 1030 on amazon for like $70.

Also, how would I correct the memory problem listed on the link? I don't know shit about shit.

This PC used to be incredible, then I had an issue that was either the fault of my CPU, Mobo or RAM. They couldn't determine which. I was running 32 gigs of pc3 12800 an i7-3770K with an Asus sabertooth Z77. I went with this current setup on the cheap just to get things going again.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Asus PRIME Z270-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

My computer is pretty laughable right now. I know my biggest upgrade would be to finally pick up a video card. I wonder if I should just because.
I saw a GTX 1030 on amazon for like $70.

Also, how would I correct the memory problem listed on the link? I don't know shit about shit.

This PC used to be incredible, then I had an issue that was either the fault of my CPU, Mobo or RAM. They couldn't determine which. I was running 32 gigs of pc3 12800 an i7-3770K with an Asus sabertooth Z77. I went with this current setup on the cheap just to get things going again.

Well, according to the benchmark, the RAM is running at lower than it's top speed. You'll have to change that in the bios.