Desktop Computers

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How would I go about doing that? I have no idea what a dual+ channel XMP bios profile is.

Go in to your bios on boot up and change the ram settings to use your mobo's xmp settings. It's simple to do and the exact steps should be listed in the mobo's manual.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So I did that. Enabled XMP and made sure it was set at 2133 MHz. Then I re-ran that file to see my settings.

Asus PRIME Z270-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Says that I still need to enable it. Not sure why, because I even opened the BIOS a 2nd time to verify that it saved the settings.

• When RAM sticks are plugged into the wrong slots they may operate in single channel mode rather than dual channel mode. (Usually alternate slots should be populated - check your Motherboard's manual)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
  • When RAM sticks are plugged into the wrong slots they may operate in single channel mode rather than dual channel mode. (Usually alternate slots should be populated - check your Motherboard's manual)

This may be it. At least it's running at full speed now.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Woah, you're awesome. I'm an idiot. I had these plugged into A1 & B1. Quickly looking at the manual, I saw that they should be in A2 & B2. Done and done, and here's the tremendous result.

Asus PRIME Z270-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark
Seems to be working much better, except...

I let it run for about 30 minutes, and got an auto reset. It just flipped off then instantly started back up again. I was watching a youtube video at the time.
I'll have to see if this continues.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There is about 99% chance the reset was caused by the higher ram frequency. You will have to figure out the stable setting by trial and error or, if very lucky, by googling around.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The computer ran for a few hours after that first reset without error, and has been fine since. I'll chalk it up to maybe the building power flickering or something.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's something I would never even consider doing, but it's fascinating none the less. Very interesting.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my computer hasn't reset since that first and only time when I fixed the RAM. All is good now. I'm considering a new video card at some point, but I don't really "need" one.

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What sound cards you rocking these days? The Audigy card I've had for almost 2 decades finally stopped working, need something under 100 bucks. I was thinking this.

looks like amazon links are busted, it's a Creative Sound Blaster Z

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Most mobo's have a quality sound card built in these days. But if you really need a separate card, sound blaster is the way to go.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had the audigy fatality (however he wrote his name) board for a long time,.and it was awesome... But just isn't a point anymore

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Most people just game with headphones I've found

Never used headphones for gaming. But I live alone which may be a huge contributer to that. Can't remember the last time I shopped for a sound card tho. Maybe a Roland or a Soundblaster.