Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm talking the difference between needing to lower settings or not. A stable frame rate or not. Headroom in spiky performance games/scenes or not. And even if I was just talking about 5-10% performance metrics, then it would still matter as we're talking about hardware here. More performance for the money is always relevant.

Note that I'm not even bashing Ryzen here, I'm just correcting your statement that the CPU doesn't matter outside of high refresh/1080p which hasn't been the case for quite some time. The days of slapping an OC'd 2500k into a rig and being good to go with no concerns are gone. Games like the new AC games are core hogs, and they're not the only ones, and even in some of those games IPC matters because the main thread can bottleneck the rest of it.

Hardware purchases require choices based on a lot of factors, both brands have their place in that process.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So Ebay is running a 15% off your cart promotion today in the Ebay Phone App. Won the bid on an EVGA 1080TI SC2 for 620 this morning. I'll be paying 540 with shipping after discount.

I've been watching the used market for the last two monthes on ebay, prices on a used 1080ti have gone up from low 500's to low 600's as the RMA troubles and poor ray tracing performance have come out about the RTX cards. If anyone is still in the market for a 1080Ti now is the time to jump on it, or you need to wait for the drop in pricing of RTX cards once the 10 series stock dries up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So Ebay is running a 15% off your cart promotion today in the Ebay Phone App. Won the bid on an EVGA 1080TI SC2 for 620 this morning. I'll be paying 540 with shipping after discount.

I've been watching the used market for the last two monthes on ebay, prices on a used 1080ti have gone up from low 500's to low 600's as the RMA troubles and poor ray tracing performance have come out about the RTX cards. If anyone is still in the market for a 1080Ti now is the time to jump on it, or you need to wait for the drop in pricing of RTX cards once the 10 series stock dries up.

Im sure it will be 100% fine for years but I just cannot buy anything on ebay and feel ok with it. I was shafted once like 11 years ago and the peace of mind is worth over paying for me. Great fucking find though!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I ended up getting i5 9600K (thanks Mist Mist ) after reading some reviews and shit it seems like the best bang for your bucks for gaming. And since I dont really do anything else on this PC other than surf and play games, well that sealed the deal. Plus the new Z390 chipset is better, has on board wi-fi and bluetooth now, not sure what ill do with that, maybe connect phone and play music?

Anyway went to microcenter today, fucking place is busy as fuck every time I go. Picked up the proc for $239 and got a $30 discount on a MSI Z390 gaming plus which ended up being $119. Picked up the standard Cooler master 212 for $30 and got 16 gigs of ram coming from Amazon for $70 (I had some points saved up).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I planned on getting some new hardware soon and the prices on a number of items went down today.

Do take it now or hold out til tomorrow or Cyber Monday? :|

Playing chicken with deals.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Sooo many things to buy. Once I start this purchase spree it will be hard to stop. Seriously considering a 2080ti computer today.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Might get a new monitor. Mine is fine but sorta want a really nice high end one. Can anyone recommend some 144hz 1440p etc.
If any black friday deals that would be nice too

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just bought that alienware monitor from the above link. It's $200 cheaper than anywhere else, which makes me a little worried!!!

Now to get a 1080ti... brekk brekk would you say there is a specific maker (asus, evga, gigabyte etc) that I should target for? Or are they all pretty much the same? Also besides watching out for cards that say they're for mining are there any warning signs of a shitty card?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Just ordered new PC build. Feel like I did pretty good price wise. I had the RTX 2080 in cart for a long time, but could not justify the extra $250. Hope I don't regret it!

Ryzen 5 2600X
MSI X470 Mobo
ADATA 960GB NVME M.2 Drive
Gigabyte RTX 2070
ADATA 16GB DDR4 3000
Corsair 750W PSU
Corsair 270R Case

Total $1267

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Well fuck me I just bought a 2080 and a 1440/144. RIP money. Will both be here Saturday, will see how much I regret it after that.

As a random thought, for my second monitor that I don't do anything on other than browser/discord/sometimes video, should I keep my old 1080 60hz, or my 1080 144hz monitor? Feel like I should just put the 60 there since it takes less to run it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well fuck me I just bought a 2080 and a 1440/144. RIP money. Will both be here Saturday, will see how much I regret it after that.

As a random thought, for my second monitor that I don't do anything on other than browser/discord/sometimes video, should I keep my old 1080 60hz, or my 1080 144hz monitor? Feel like I should just put the 60 there since it takes less to run it.

Windows 10 can be shitty with running multiple monitors with different refresh rates, so I would suggest keeping the 144hz one. If you want to run games in borderless windows, W10 wants to force vsync at the refresh rate of the slowest monitor.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Now to get a 1080ti... brekk brekk would you say there is a specific maker (asus, evga, gigabyte etc) that I should target for? Or are they all pretty much the same? Also besides watching out for cards that say they're for mining are there any warning signs of a shitty card?

EVGA SC2, and MSI Gaming X are best performance/quality. Avoid MSI Armor, and Zotac Extreme. Zotac Amp note-extreme edition is ok. Gigaybte cards are mediocre