Desktop Computers

Louis

Trakanon Raider
New build I finished a couple of weeks ago. Probably went overboard on the lights by most people's standards, but I've always had completely closed cases and wanted to pimp my ride. I thought the build was pretty high performance until I saw Achaeus' build and realized I'm living in the stone age.
20181124_202723.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay friends, talk to me. This arrived, with my 2080, got them both setup (after a heart attack when the card didn't work on first plug in, or on cmos clear, but worked on reseating). What things to do I need to do to get the most of it? I've never had a 1440p monitor, or an ips panel, or any monitor close to this good. Things like color, quality of life for 2k, etc

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So fucked around the computer today, the new 9600K is a fucking beast. Got that shit OCed to 5.0ghz on air no probs. Also ran some BF5 today. Before this new proc I was getting 90FPS at medium with huge spikes dipping down to like 40FPS at times. Well now this shit runs at 130-150FPS steady, its like it breathed new life into the computer and really unlocked the full potential of the 1070 GPU.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So fucked around the computer today, the new 9600K is a fucking beast. Got that shit OCed to 5.0ghz on air no probs. Also ran some BF5 today. Before this new proc I was getting 90FPS at medium with huge spikes dipping down to like 40FPS at times. Well now this shit runs at 130-150FPS steady, its like it breathed new life into the computer and really unlocked the full potential of the 1070 GPU.
That's why o would always laugh when people would say their 2600k was still fine and what's the point of upgrading

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Okay friends, talk to me. This arrived, with my 2080, got them both setup (after a heart attack when the card didn't work on first plug in, or on cmos clear, but worked on reseating). What things to do I need to do to get the most of it? I've never had a 1440p monitor, or an ips panel, or any monitor close to this good. Things like color, quality of life for 2k, etc

Make sure you're running it at 144hz and 1440p in either your gpu control panel or windows display settings. Windows tends to default them to 60hz when you first set them up. Also look to see if tftcentral reviewed it, and see what they went with for calibrating the settings. Look for what seems trustworthy from forum discussions about calibrating if you can't find it on tftcentral. Also make sure you're happy with the level of ips glow/bleed etc... it has and check if it has any dead pixels. Replace it otherwise.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
makes me wonder how hamstrung I will be with my i7-4790k

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
makes me wonder how hamstrung I will be with my i7-4790k

I think thats one generation newer than what I had. But I run my shit on 1080p still and from what I read you start going into 1440 its mostly GPU at that point. Probably depends on game too.

Run your ass out to microcenter.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
New build I finished a couple of weeks ago. Probably went overboard on the lights by most people's standards, but I've always had completely closed cases and wanted to pimp my ride. I thought the build was pretty high performance until I saw Achaeus' build and realized I'm living in the stone age.View attachment 183993
I actually like that a lot. also what monitor?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Hmm I may actually want to upgrade from my i5 to an i7 right now instead of a monitor as I forgot I still have an i5 and not sure howd that would even run 144hz

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hmm I may actually want to upgrade from my i5 to an i7 right now instead of a monitor as I forgot I still have an i5 and not sure howd that would even run 144hz

For gaming? It does not matter. Its all about that per core performance and having like 6 of them these days. At least its what I read. Now if youre into streaming and shit like that, or multitasking, workstation shit, adobe, etc... THATS when the virtual cores comes into play. But for pure gaming, it does not use any of that hyper threading shit.

That new i5 9600K is a beast for gaming. and its only like $250ish, got mine for $239.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I havent really dabbled in this stuff since my last pc so im getting lost.
Idk if i should go 34" or 27" or what
Ultra indecisive

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It depends on how far you're going to be sitting from it and what resolution the monitor will be. PPI and viewing distance angles are what you need to consider

Argarth

On the verandah
...But for pure gaming, it does not use any of that hyper threading shit.

That's not true anymore. Quite a few modern titles (eg. DOOM, GRW, BF1, Destiny2) already use all 16 threads on my 2700X, and spread the load quite evenly. Not suggesting that its a requirement for ultimate performance or anything, just wanted to clarify.

Clock speed for games is still king, yada-yada, and I'm sure your 9600k @ 5Ghz would handily out-FPS my Ryzen at 1080p on the same GPU. No contest really, so not criticizing your choice of CPU either. =)

Thought I'd better mention that, just in case Noodleface Noodleface comes bounding in here and accuses me of gargling "something or other..."

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
LOL I actually have that playing right now.

So I was looking at Ebay for 4790ks to see if I could squeeze some extra performance out of my computer since Im on a 4690k. Fucking things are all $200+. Ridiculous a 4+ year old cpu is that much.

I had a 3570k that died a month from warranty running out. I sent it to Intel and they sent me a new one in a box. I put together a 4790k and sold the 3570k. $300 on Ebay.