Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's the sweet spot for wide screens? 32"?

I really like my dual screen functionality but having that huge gaming monitor would be sweet. But it also kinda feels like dudes that still SLI video cards. Yea, it works, and it's cool when it does but you're still gonna be better off just going dual screen.

Would be a decision between a single ultra wide and a dual screen setup of 144hz, 27", one with adaptive sync, the other not to save money.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I have a 35, 32, and a 27 and the 32 to me was the best. I use my 35 currently for the HDR and Freesync tho.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

I think this might vary according to a person's peripheral vision, and I would check this out in person before buying.

For me, ultrawide didn't make a positive difference until 34", and I really only liked it for first-person shooters.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I really like my dual screen functionality but having that huge gaming monitor would be sweet. But it also kinda feels like dudes that still SLI video cards. Yea, it works, and it's cool when it does but you're still gonna be better off just going dual screen.

Would be a decision between a single ultra wide and a dual screen setup of 144hz, 27", one with adaptive sync, the other not to save money.
personal pref along w/ screen resolution.

Crone

I don't feel like my dual screen 24" is too small. I'm considering going dual 24" , 144hz, and then the question is, on a 24" , do I still go 1440p? Or am I just fooling myself, and I don't know what I'm missing?

And then there's the question of , if I'm going Adaptive Sync (not sure if Gsync or Freesync yet), and then 2nd monitor not, since it's backup, what 2 monitors would go best together? I don't see that many that have Adaptive Sync versions, and non versions.

FML , this decision is going to take some time to research it through.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't feel like my dual screen 24" is too small. I'm considering going dual 24" , 144hz, and then the question is, on a 24" , do I still go 1440p? Or am I just fooling myself, and I don't know what I'm missing?

And then there's the question of , if I'm going Adaptive Sync (not sure if Gsync or Freesync yet), and then 2nd monitor not, since it's backup, what 2 monitors would go best together? I don't see that many that have Adaptive Sync versions, and non versions.

FML , this decision is going to take some time to research it through.

24" 1080p is sub 100 PPI which is pretty dogshit. Go with 1440 unless you have specific performance concerns (while including the higher refresh)

There's no point in going with gsync now unless you like setting money on fire. (provided you have a turing or pascal gpu) Just get two freesync preferably of the same model.

Crone

24" 1080p is sub 100 PPI which is pretty dogshit. Go with 1440 unless you have specific performance concerns (while including the higher refresh)

There's no point in going with gsync now unless you like setting money on fire. (provided you have a turing or pascal gpu) Just get two freesync preferably of the same model.
24" , 1440p, 144hz, Freesync. Sounds easy enough...

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Question.

If I already have a watercooler installed, and want to replace it with a 360mm setup. Do I need to replace the bracket that holds the cooler? I mean are these stock?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Do you have all in one cooler like that already or fi you have a custom loop? AIOs like that just mount into standard fan slots so theonly thing that matters iis ifyou have enough slots and clearance for it.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
For anyone curious, the PG279QZ is a legit refresh of the Q (it seems a little shady atm since it's only on amazon and it's flagged). It looks so good actually that the 278q i have sitting next to it looks like shit now.

Crone

For anyone curious, the PG279QZ is a legit refresh of the Q (it seems a little shady atm since it's only on amazon and it's flagged). It looks so good actually that the 278q i have sitting next to it looks like shit now.
And this is my problem. I want dual screen. But I'm not paying $600 for a 2nd monitor that won't ever have games being played on it. Hrmm. True, if I go Freesync it won't cost as much.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just a heads up for people who want dual-screens just to use for watching videos or whatever. There's a really nice program called OnTopReplica that uses Win10's window preview feature to show a mini window of another window that can stay on top of everything else. So you can have a mini version of your firefox or whatever else up in the corner (or elsewhere) while you do other shit without it being minimized or interfering with things.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Just a heads up for people who want dual-screens just to use for watching videos or whatever. There's a really nice program called OnTopReplica that uses Win10's window preview feature to show a mini window of another window that can stay on top of everything else. So you can have a mini version of your firefox or whatever else up in the corner (or elsewhere) while you do other shit without it being minimized or interfering with things.

Brilliant, and so many configuration options, thanks!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Do you have all in one cooler like that already or fi you have a custom loop? AIOs like that just mount into standard fan slots so theonly thing that matters iis ifyou have enough slots and clearance for it.

It's an AIO. The processor cooler is siting on what looks like a bracket, to hold it in place. Basically I don't want to have to remove everything. Just unscrew the cooler. Remove the radiator and fans. Plop down a new cooler...install the radiator and fans again.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Brilliant, and so many configuration options, thanks!

Yeah, it's a great little program. You can have it any size or opacity, and even enable click-through. I like it better than having stuff playing on other screens because you don't have to turn your head to look at shit. I started using it when I was having vsync issues with dual-screens, and found it to be really nice when I switched to my 4k TV as I have more than enough screen space to put it somewhere unobtrusive. Plus it has pretty much no performance impact at all as it's just tapping into something that's already being done.

Argarth

On the verandah
The new NV driver has landed. Can't wait to see if the VRR support actually works on my Freesync LG Widescreen.

WHQL 417.71 Driver

1547543965743.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Just finished some testing the new driver, using the NVIDIA pendulum Demo, and also SoTTR Trial Benchmark Demo (I don't own the game). FYI, my current monitor is the LG Ultra-wide 34UM69G (DP1.2, 75Hz refresh, Freesync range 40 to 75Hz), and is NOT on the "validated" list of G-Sync Compatible monitors.

In the NV Pendulum demo, you can run 60, 50 and 40 FPS tests, or pick a number using the sliders. Ran smoothly with no evidence of tearing, stuttering, or flickering that I could see.

In the SoTTR Benchmark, I manually cranked every setting up to max, to ensure that the test was constantly dipping below 75FPS (default refresh). It went as low as the high 50s a couple of times, and mostly was fluctuating all over the 60s and 70s.

I ran the benchmark multiple times, and all I have to say is HOLY SHIT. Absolutely as smooth as silk, without the slightest hint of a glitch or pause the entire time.

I can't believe just how good that was. It looked flawless, and I can finally see what all the fuss is about with VRR. Thank you NVidia, and also fuck you for taking so bloody long!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users