Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of cards and 2080's

[H]ardOCP: Radeon 7 Goes on Sale February 7

AMD just announced the Radeon 7 GPU at their CES keynote....The Radeon 7 GPU sports 60 Compute Units that run at up to 1.8Ghz, and also features 16GB of HBM memory with around 1TB/sec of bandwidth. AMD demo'd the GPU running The Division 2 at 4K settings, and also posted some impressive benchmarks of productivity workloads.AMD claims that they can get 25% more performance in the same power envelope with this architecture, while some games get even larger performance improvements over Vega 64. The new GPU's performance seems to be par with a Nvidia RTX 2080, while the $699 MSRP is slightly below the street price the 2080. AMD says the card will go on sale February 7, and will come bundled with Devil May Cry 2, The Division 2 and Resident Evil 2 for a limited time.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The more I research the more I realize just how fucked the GPU market is. Going to wait and see what happens.

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
Not sure why they went with 16gb of HMB2 seems they could of cut cost just sticking to 8gb, and a $500-$600 price point would of made this a clear winner. I guess they needed a way to unload failed MI60 cards.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Their profit margins on these are going to be significantly less than Nvidia's, and they're still only on-par despite these being 7nm and drawing a lot more power.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Not sure why they went with 16gb of HMB2

I'm cutting a hole in the front of my case right now, AMD or bust...

amd.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Because the things that are causing that are faults in the monitor itself that makes it react that way to the syncing. It wouldn't matter what card is used. If you look at comments on the video on reddit etc... people are pointing out the actual monitors they are as they're already well-known problem monitors.

I may have jumped the gun a little, but there was no proof that last monitor (in particular) would also blink with an AMD card. Just Nvidia's say-so which he so easily accepts @2:33 in the video. Nobody would accept a "hard" fault like that from any manufacturer, unless it could be traced to a driver or a settings issue and subsequently resolved. Also, a couple of the youtube comments from owners who believe they've identified the monitor in question appear to differ.

My pointy stands, there is no proof either way, it smacks of poor journalism, and makes this guy look like an NVidia flunky.

However, I'm not suggesting for a minute that there aren't some (many?) poorly specced Freesync monitors out there that just don't measure up.

The Nexus video you posted is much more informative, and discussion on this subject in AdoredTV's latest is also worth a watch imo. NVidia Vesa Adaptive Sync @ 11:50

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Shame no Ryzen 3000 til late May or early June, I assume Computex launch. Though it does look like 16c Ryzen is all but confirmed.

Argarth

On the verandah
Shame no Ryzen 3000 til late May or early June, I assume Computex launch. Though it does look like 16c Ryzen is all but confirmed.

Hanging out for this. My daughter will be getting my 2700X for her new build, and I'll be gleefully plugging a shiny new CPU into my existing, fully supported MB. Thank you AMD.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Hanging out for this. My daughter will be getting my 2700X for her new build, and I'll be gleefully plugging a shiny new CPU into my existing, fully supported MB. Thank you AMD.
Since PCIe controllers nowdays are on die you might even be able to use the main PCIe slot as PCIe 4 with just a BIOS update, at least one slot might be short enough on most boards to be within spec.

Should be worth upgrading my 2700x too just based on IPC and clocks. As bonus it would be great to see 16 cores (certainly 2 x 6 from reject dies) later in year. AMD will probably be holding that back to see what Intel replies with @ desktop level. No need to throw away good 8 cores until Intel raises the stakes.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Considering just ripping the band-aid off and getting this over with by buying a 9700k the next time there's a deal. Waiting til fucking June for AMD to disappoint as usual is a bit different than waiting til March

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Blatantly stolen from [H].

So a 2080 non ti? 700 bucks or so? Competition slowly coming back baby!

15471366628pyisvxx1q_1_1_l.jpg

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
AMD excitement brought me out of lurking. I suspect Nvidia wanted AMD to reveal more at CES.

Considering just ripping the band-aid off and getting this over with by buying a 9700k the next time there's a deal. Waiting til fucking June for AMD to disappoint as usual is a bit different than waiting til March

If you want to go AMD but need a stop-gap, something like an Asus ROG Strix B450-F and a Ryzen 5 2400G could buy you time. If you have a Microcenter nearby, they'll bundle the mobo and APU for ~$240. Just drop drop in a new Ryzen 3000 CPU when it's released (along with whatever video card). My plan, anyway.

I think someone was asking about a monitor. I like my 32" 2560x1440 144Hz LG 32GK650-F. It's possible to find in the $350 range, too.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Are the 2700x CPUs likely to drop in price with the new releases?
Id imagine but they probably wont be released til the end of may. And the performance difference will probably be big enough that you would want a 3000 series.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Are the 2700x CPUs likely to drop in price with the new releases?
New AMD chips are still out half a year at least (they said mid year I believe?). Even then price drops will not likely by much at all since AMD is now more competitive core per core with Intel. My guess is AMD would rather take higher margins @ lower volume of their expensive 7nm chips while they sell old 12nm cpu stock.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Not sure I'll need or even want the 3x series of chips.

I dont game that much anymore, and what I play runs on my ancient as shit computer pretty well.

The 2700x just looks good value wise. And this thing hasnt died yet so not really racing to replace it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm almost positive you'd be better off just buying a chip 1 tier lower in the 3000 series than buying a 2700x after the 3000 series releases.