Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only issue I had (same monitor) was that the controls for the OSD were on the bottom right of the panel and so sometimes the pressure would cause them to be pressed, but it wasn't much of an issue after friggin around with the balance of it.The only points of contact the monitor has with that adapter is on the top/bottom sides of the panel. The hook looking part of it is just there to keep the monitor from slipping out if it gets nudged.It essentially just sits in the grooves.
Is the display port cable that it comes with ok? Was gonna order a different one, but wasn't sure if it mattered.

As for arms, I want them pretty bad. Just the freedom to tilt and move your monitors wherever you want them is nice, but then I realized I also don't move my monitors at all. Like ever.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is the display port cable that it comes with ok? Was gonna order a different one, but wasn't sure if it mattered.

As for arms, I want them pretty bad. Just the freedom to tilt and move your monitors wherever you want them is nice, but then I realized I also don't move my monitors at all. Like ever.

The one that came with it was pretty poor quality. I can't remember if I replaced it because it was causing HDCP issues or if I did it as a preventive measure. You don't need to spend a lot on a new cable, just get a reliable one from Amazon basics, monoprice, or primecables etc... But it's not worth it unless you encounter issues with it as it's a works or doesn't issue

The mounts aren't really for making adjustments periodically, they're for getting the display in the exact right spot which you often can't do with the usual stand adjustments, whether it be the height of the display or the tilt. I had the acer sitting on stuff just to have it high enough for a while until I got a desk mount, because the included stand only raised it like 3-4 inches off the desk. You'll see what I mean when you get it. Might still not be an issue for you though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

it's 30bucks
North Bayou Monitor Desk Mount Stand Full Motion Swivel Monitor Arm Gas Spring for 17''-27'' Computer Monitor from 4.4lbs to 14.3lbs i was able to get 2 for 20 each, looks like it was a price error, still they're awesome and BETTER than my ergotrons in strength. i had a 27 vewsonic on there and it was smooth, then i hooked up an old ass hp 24 (this was 10years old?) so that thing was heavy, on an ergotron and that monitor arm just drooped like a bitch. Nabbed another of that $20 monitor arm and it held it tight (and at the designated angle) like a champ. Of course then the wife said having a 27 and 24 is funky, so i just nabbed another 27 viewsonic.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Any thoughts on RTX 2060 vs Vega 64? Building a new PC(8700k/16GB 3200 RAM) but I'm only on 1080p/60hz atm. I may upgrade to some kind of 1440p monitor within the year, just wondering which of these is more "future proof". Budget for a card is around $350, RTX kind of hits the sweet spot but I'm a little wary of the 6gb of VRAM.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
The Vega 64 is superior, and will do better longer term with 8GB RAM. But it consumes more power and the blower style ones are said to be loud. It can be found new for $400 or less at the moment.

RTX 2060 is not a bad card for what you want to do right now, but 6GB of RAM pretty much makes it the opposite of future proof.

In general there's nothing out at the moment in the $300 to $400 ballpark that is without drawbacks. The best bang for your buck might be to find a new or lightly used Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for $300 or less and then oc/undervolt it to near Vega 64 performance. Or expand your budget a bit and hunt for a refurbished 1080 or 2070.

I need a card, too. But I'm trying to wait and see how the Radeon VII (due out February 7) benchmarks and what effect it will have on prices of other cards.

It's an odd time for CPUs and GPUs right now. Just as the dust from crypto is settling, AMD is/will be shaking up the market with it's 7nm stuff.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The Vega 64 is superior, and will do better longer term with 8GB RAM. But it consumes more power and the blower style ones are said to be loud. It can be found new for $400 or less at the moment.

RTX 2060 is not a bad card for what you want to do right now, but 6GB of RAM pretty much makes it the opposite of future proof.

In general there's nothing out right now in the $300 to $400 ballpark that is without drawbacks. The best bang for your buck might be to find a new or lightly used Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for $300 or less and then oc/undervolt it to near Vega 64 performance. Or expand your budget a bit and hunt for a refurbished 1080 or 2070.

I need a card now, too. But I'm trying to wait and see how the Radeon VII (due out February 7) benchmarks and what effect it will have on prices of other cards.

It's an odd time for CPUs and GPUs right now. Just as the dust from crypto is settling, AMD is/will be shaking up the market with it's 7nm stuff.

iF 1070s can still be found, thats an option too. I thinkI picked mine up a year ago for less than $400. Plus you CAN go 1440p with 1070, 1060 you cant.

Here you go $450...

I also heard that supposedly AMD has some card coming thats supposed to be as good as 1060, only needs slot power and is only $130ish. So thats an option too if it comes out soon.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I've been looking out for deals on a 1070ti or even a 1070 but stock on those seems to be disappearing. Would rather buy a new card, not really big on buying refurbs(just a personal preference thing I guess).

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I hear you on used.

If you have a microcenter near you, they might have an MSI 1070ti for $399. But it will be a single-fan/blower style.

If EVGA b-stock is interesting, just bookmark it and refresh. They update almost daily.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Built my computer this evening, setting it up now. Thanks for all the words of advice and educating me to all those that did.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
Built my computer this evening

c.jpg

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Probably going to be time for a new video card soon as I just got my second RMA replacement for my EVGA 970 SSC, hoping third times the charm!

Both reasons I had to RMA the card was because it caught fire on the backside of the card. It was just about a year after I got the card that it fried and after getting the first RMA replacement it was only about 8 months then that one fried. So with this second RMA it's most likely going to fry outside my warranty and I probably should look into upgrading and then just selling this one, if it even be worth anything nowadays.

I've been building computers with my dad since the Windows '95 days and onward and this is only time I've gotten to experience something catching on fire in a computer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Probably going to be time for a new video card soon as I just got my second RMA replacement for my EVGA 970 SSC, hoping third times the charm!

Both reasons I had to RMA the card was because it caught fire on the backside of the card. It was just about a year after I got the card that it fried and after getting the first RMA replacement it was only about 8 months then that one fried. So with this second RMA it's most likely going to fry outside my warranty and I probably should look into upgrading and then just selling this one, if it even be worth anything nowadays.

I've been building computers with my dad since the Windows '95 days and onward and this is only time I've gotten to experience something catching on fire in a computer.
You sure psu and everything is ok? That's not normal

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Get my new monitor tomorrow. 1440p, 144hz, Freesync (G-sync compatible), 1ms... and still using a 970 to run it.

Maybe 144hz, and 1440p will make my 970 catch fire too?

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I had a 980ti with the same monitor and it really started to feel borderline a few months ago when I got rid of it. I wouldn’t expect good performance with a 970 at 1440.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Be aware that becoming a FPS chasing whore is easy once you go down the 144hz road. Try not to obsess about the numbers too much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users