Desktop Computers

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Freesynch needs to be enabled in your graphics card control panel. Set windows to single display mode and turn on the hz overlay in the osd to make sure 144 works on the monitor. Tend to have less problems (like flickering) using 120/60 with some games while browsing on an older second monitor.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well I have a GTX 970, so the latest drivers that would let me enable G-sync don't work for my card, and I can't enable Freesync on a nVidia card, so that's out. 144hz is for sure working as I do the spin the mouse in a circle test, and there are WAY more mouse pointers than when I do it on my 1080p 60hz. The Flicker seems to have disappeared a little while after I made the post and hasn't returned. Pretty weird.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well I have a GTX 970, so the latest drivers that would let me enable G-sync don't work for my card, and I can't enable Freesync on a nVidia card, so that's out. 144hz is for sure working as I do the spin the mouse in a circle test, and there are WAY more mouse pointers than when I do it on my 1080p 60hz. The Flicker seems to have disappeared a little while after I made the post and hasn't returned. Pretty weird.

Good to hear, but I suggest not falling into too false a sense of security with the situation as you likely have time constraints on return windows depending on where you bought it from.

I do remember having some sort of display on/off flickering problems with it, but it was definitely an issue with the cable.

Also, as a new high refresh user ( and for others that aren't familiar with the site) you'll want to bookmark this and check out some of its other features as well (lots under the dropdown box):

Blur Busters TestUFO Motion Tests. Benchmark for monitors & displays.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
@Dom So last weekend, my new Acer monitor was perfect. Gone a week for work and back now and it's got a flicker. Like a cable is loose or something, but the cable is fine.

Are you or anyone else aware of weird flicker issues when using 1440p, 144hz on display port, and then 1080p 60hz on HDMI?

This happened to me yesterday. I downloaded DDU and removed the video drivers and then reinstalled them. Flicker went away. I have 2 144hz monitors too but Asus.

Malkav

French Madman
Just build my new rig and looks like my W10 licence on my MS account won't work.
What a good deal for getting a W10 key nowadays? Still r/softwareswap or whatever?

Crone

Just build my new rig and looks like my W10 licence on my MS account won't work.
What a good deal for getting a W10 key nowadays? Still r/softwareswap or whatever?
Yea, they have one specific to Microsoft now though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Personally bought from s5ean many times, and never had a problem. One time when the license wouldn't work after a couple years, when I had formatted and tried re-installing, he gave me full credit I had paid towards a newer Office product.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Got an old Windows 7 key that was never upgraded?

Also, for those looking for a good price/performance card, Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56s can be found for about $330 right now, and you get vouchers for Resident Evil 2, The Division 2, and Devil May Cry 5. There seems to be a really good chance that the cards have Samsung memory and that makes them very over-clockable/under-voltable.

Last edited:

Crone

Got an old Windows 7 key that was never upgraded?

Also, for those looking for a good price/performance card, Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56s can be found for about $330 right now, and you get vouchers for Resident Evil 2, The Division 2, and Devil May Cry 5. There seems to be a really good chance that the cards have Samsung memory and that makes them very over-clockable/under-voltable.
I'm a nVidia fanboi , so how does that card compare to the nVidia line. What card is it closest too. For realsies too, not fake benchmarks!

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I'm a nVidia fanboi , so how does that card compare to the nVidia line. What card is it closest too. For realsies too, not fake benchmarks!

The card is spec'd at 1177MHz (1478MHz with boost). My CPU is a Ryzen 5 2400G at 3.9GHz with APU disabled. Everything is just air cooled. Doom runs at at around 80+ fps 1440p ultra settings no problem, but Vulkan games favor AMD from what I understand.

Here is a validated Firestrike comparison of my system in default balanced, turbo, and custom (stable) modes and a GTX 1080 also running Ryzen 5 2400G:

Result

My tweaked undervolt Vega 56 beats the OC'd 1080 GTX in 6 of the 8 scores, although all are close. I can push my card a bit higher, and get about 500 more points in 3DMark and 1000 more points in Graphics, but I don't consider it stable.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
Yea, they have one specific to Microsoft now though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Personally bought from s5ean many times, and never had a problem. One time when the license wouldn't work after a couple years, when I had formatted and tried re-installing, he gave me full credit I had paid towards a newer Office product.

Thanks, looks like the price have gone up since last time I bought one. Ended up going with 5 bucks key on ebay and it's working perfectly fine for now.

Anyway, here is the new rig. Pretty happy with this one.

IMG_20190210_114417.jpg
IMG_20190210_114442.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Malkav

French Madman
Looks good! Where is the PSU?

The case (Lian Li PC-o11 Dynamic) has a dual chamber design. PSU is in the second chamber behind the motherboard.

Setup is :
Motherboard : Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 (which will be upgrade once they release the Ryzen 3xxx serie). Currently overclocked to 4Ghz.
RAM : Gigabyte Aorus RGB RAM (2x8GB DDR4 3200, and it comes with two dummy RGB sticks).
Cooler : NZXT Kraken X62 as top exhaust.
Graphic Card : MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio.
Case : Lian Li PC-o11 Dynamic
Fans : 3x Noctua NFS-A12 Chromax PWM (side intake, since the front of the case is tempered glass, intake is on the side).

Took the PSU and SSDs from my old setup :
PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W
SSD : Plextor M.2 256GB for the system and a 500GB Crucial SATA SSD.

Screen is an Acer X34p, 3440x1440 120Hz IPS panel.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm coming up on four years on my current machine (stats below). Playing BFV has been a little laggy so I was looking at building a new box. Budget is <$2000 and I'll probably keep my existing peripherals and monitor. Is logical increments the best place for parts picking still?

1549812784710.png

1549812836241.png

Crone

The card is spec'd at 1177MHz (1478MHz with boost). My CPU is a Ryzen 5 2400G at 3.9GHz with APU disabled. Everything is just air cooled. Doom runs at at around 80+ fps 1440p ultra settings no problem, but Vulkan games favor AMD from what I understand.

Here is a validated Firestrike comparison of my system in default balanced, turbo, and custom (stable) modes and a GTX 1080 also running Ryzen 5 2400G:

Result

My tweaked undervolt Vega 56 beats the OC'd 1080 GTX in 6 of the 8 scores, although all are close. I can push my card a bit higher, and get about 500 more points in 3DMark and 1000 more points in Graphics, but I don't consider it stable.
Not a bad price for those specs. Especially with being able to overclock it!

The problem is, and others have mentioned it too, is that the GeForce driver experience is just so much better than AMD. I have a laptop with a AMD card, and then my desktop with nVidia, and it's just so much easier for everything with my desktop. I want to switch over to AMD so bad, but it's really hard to do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Not a bad price for those specs. Especially with being able to overclock it!

The problem is, and others have mentioned it too, is that the GeForce driver experience is just so much better than AMD. I have a laptop with a AMD card, and then my desktop with nVidia, and it's just so much easier for everything with my desktop. I want to switch over to AMD so bad, but it's really hard to do.

Thanks and, yeah, there's plenty of disappointment with the VII drivers right now. It makes me consider that I'm benefiting from Vega 56 being a year and half old at this point.

Argarth

On the verandah
Thanks and, yeah, there's plenty of disappointment with the VII drivers right now. It makes me consider that I'm benefiting from Vega 56 being a year and half old at this point.

FWIW, according to Hardware Unboxed, all the driver problems have been fixed in the latest release.
Radeon VII latest benchmarks

By the way, that video just serves to make the 1080Ti look even better by comparison. So a big "high five" to anyone who was lucky enough to snag one before the stock ran out.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm coming to the conclusion that the 1080ti was just such a standout product that it's fucking with the perception of everything else. Everything gets compared to it and everything falls short. It reminds me of the old 8800 series.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Crone

3 kids, and despite me lowering my tax withholding rate every year I still get a pretty sizable tax return. I want to start the hunt for a 1080Ti , with the justification that it should last me 2-3 years at minimum with how I play games. I don't mind lowering graphics, etc. Ran with the same card for 6 years before getting a GTX 970.

Problem is, $600 would pay for a lot of new flooring in the house we bought in June. Lol. Or YOLO and just do both, amirite?!

Especially with this new monitor I have. I'm doing ok with my 970 at 1440p. Like I said, I don't mind dropping graphics to keep frames going, but man. I want one so bad. :(

Argarth

On the verandah
3 kids, and despite me lowering my tax withholding rate every year I still get a pretty sizable tax return. I want to start the hunt for a 1080Ti , with the justification that it should last me 2-3 years at minimum with how I play games. I don't mind lowering graphics, etc. Ran with the same card for 6 years before getting a GTX 970.

Problem is, $600 would pay for a lot of new flooring in the house we bought in June. Lol. Or YOLO and just do both, amirite?!

Especially with this new monitor I have. I'm doing ok with my 970 at 1440p. Like I said, I don't mind dropping graphics to keep frames going, but man. I want one so bad. :(

My last card was also a GTX 970. Moving to the 1080Ti was a massive upgrade.

Can't imagine replacing it for several years, especially with the market in its current state. That's a shame really. So little to look forward to right now performance wise, and pricing is broken. Good luck with the hunt!

@Dom stole my thunder, literally as I was typing it out, heh.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user