Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, it seems we are at that point where unless you want to jump to 4k, a 1080 Ti is gonna last a really long time, no? It's kinda like a 1060 would be fine if you never wanted to go past 1080p or something? I don't see myself making the jump to any kind of 4k gaming for a really really long time.

Thought about waiting for the 2070 Ti, but not sure that'd be any better than a 1080 Ti?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Depends on the game and depends on the settings. 1080ti is enough to power Witcher 3 @ 1440p110ish hz at almost full settings for example, something like AC:O/AC:Ody will struggle to hit 80fps with the same setup.

My suggestion is to figure out exactly what games you want to play now and in the near future and make your choice based on what the benchmarks show for those specific games. Aiming for something to cover all games will just default to "best available card". Also, do you want to invest a bunch now and have it not be suitable for when something like Cyberpunk 2077 comes out and be in the same boat then? Things like this are the real decision makers when you need to make compromises. Be honest with what you're going to use the card for and the answer should be apparent.

Also, 2070ti would probably just be on the same level as a 2080 which itself is about on level with a 1080ti

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
1070ti was pushing best price to performance for a while wasn't it? i see some cheapie used ones on ebay for like 275, could be an alternative compromise upgrade

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Depends on the game and depends on the settings. 1080ti is enough to power Witcher 3 @ 1440p110ish hz at almost full settings for example, something like AC:O/AC:Ody will struggle to hit 80fps with the same setup.

My suggestion is to figure out exactly what games you want to play now and in the near future and make your choice based on what the benchmarks show for those specific games. Aiming for something to cover all games will just default to "best available card". Also, do you want to invest a bunch now and have it not be suitable for when something like Cyberpunk 2077 comes out and be in the same boat then? Things like this are the real decision makers when you need to make compromises. Be honest with what you're going to use the card for and the answer should be apparent.

Also, 2070ti would probably just be on the same level as a 2080 which itself is about on level with a 1080ti
Good points. I didn't really think games would be progressing in their graphics "abilities" so much at this point, but I suppose they would. Duh. Why wouldn't they?

The most longevity out of a card is gonna be a 2080ti right now. It's the "best" and should last the longest, right? Maybe my dreams of having a card for 5 years are long gone?

I spent $300 in 2011 for a Radeon 6900 and made the mistake of upgrading to a 970 right before the 10's were releasing. I believed the hype about shortage problems. If I had gotten a 1070, I'd be good for a couple more years I feel. But not now and it sucks.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Good points. I didn't really think games would be progressing in their graphics "abilities" so much at this point, but I suppose they would. Duh. Why wouldn't they?

The most longevity out of a card is gonna be a 2080ti right now. It's the "best" and should last the longest, right? Maybe my dreams of having a card for 5 years are long gone?

I spent $300 in 2011 for a Radeon 6900 and made the mistake of upgrading to a 970 right before the 10's were releasing. I believed the hype about shortage problems. If I had gotten a 1070, I'd be good for a couple more years I feel. But not now and it sucks.

It's the best and will last but also low on the cost/perf scale. I'd take a look at your local used market before making any choices. Might be some used 1080tis to tide you over until a better generation

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I bought my 1070 on launch two years ago and I don't think I'll be upgrading for a few years at least.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I bought my 1070 on launch two years ago and I don't think I'll be upgrading for a few years at least.

My 1080ti is running strong at 4K. Outside of BF5, everything I play runs at 50+ FPS. Was kinda stoked when The Division 2 was running at a solid 55+ frames with most things maxxed. Unless AMD wows the fuck out of me later this year, I'm good for awhile.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
AMD hahhahahahah

Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

Crone

Really? Sounds like you are kinda like me, and don't play brand new AAA titles really, so you can extend your graphics out a bit. For me it was all WoW and EQ, and Diablo 3. Old games. Then 2 years ago, I tried playing The Division and my system choked, causing me to get a GTX 970.

@Dom Just checked craigslist, and there were a few mining rigs being sold off, but not much. Hardware swap is a pretty nice place to look too.

Also, I'm hearing that the drivers for the 20 series nVidia cards keep getting better? Is that true? I know drivers can improve, just look at AMD drivers right now, but does it actually improve card performance so much? My buddy, who's not totally dumb, watchers Gamers Nexus, etc, says the 2070 is approaching benchmarks of the 1080 Ti? That sounds crazy!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Really? Sounds like you are kinda like me, and don't play brand new AAA titles really, so you can extend your graphics out a bit. For me it was all WoW and EQ, and Diablo 3. Old games. Then 2 years ago, I tried playing The Division and my system choked, causing me to get a GTX 970.

@Dom Just checked craigslist, and there were a few mining rigs being sold off, but not much. Hardware swap is a pretty nice place to look too.

Stay away from cards that have been used for mining, they've been put through the wringer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My PC is pretty beefy (for being two years old), aren't you rocking an older CPU?

I don't really play many AAA games honestly, I don't get caught up in all the hoopla. And I am a peasant that games at 1080p. But nothing has made my PC even hiccup.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Do you think Razer will update the Orbweaver/Tartarus any time soon or anyone else have news of a competitor in this gaming keypad space? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one but they have their issues (Tartarus D-Pad, Orbweaver wrist rest coming off).

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
Do you think Razer will update the Orbweaver/Tartarus any time soon or anyone else have news of a competitor in this gaming keypad space? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one but they have their issues (Tartarus D-Pad, Orbweaver wrsit rest coming off).

The Tartarus has been upgraded, and the D-pad issue is resolved. The "knob" can be removed, returning the D-pad to the way it was on the original Nostromo.

Razer Tartarus V2

I have one now, and couldn't imagine gaming without it.
Used the original Belkin Nostromo for many years prior to this, skipping Orbweaver/T1 completely because of the retarded D-pad changes.

• 1Like

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The Tartarus has been upgraded, and the D-pad issue is resolved. The "knob" can be removed, returning the D-pad to the way it was on the original Nostromo.

Razer Tartarus V2

I have one now, and couldn't imagine gaming without it.
Used the original Belkin Nostromo for many years prior to this, skipping Orbweaver/T1 completely because of the retarded D-pad changes.

Have you used both? Any opinion on which is more comfortable to use between the 2?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd love to have one of those keypads but I'm not letting any form of Razer software near my PC. I wish I knew what I did with my old Belkin n52

Argarth

On the verandah
Have you used both? Any opinion on which is more comfortable to use between the 2?

Used both what? Not sure I understand your question. I only ever had a Belkin Nostromo (n52) prior to the Tartarus V2. I skipped the Tartarus V1.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I'd love to have one of those keypads but I'm not letting any form of Razer software near my PC. I wish I knew what I did with my old Belkin n52

Honestly the Razer software is fine these days imo.

You can disable unwanted features, disable (at least partly) the phone home stuff as well, and it has an almost non-existent CPU footprint. There are so many things sending telemetry all over the world these days, that I have basically stopped caring. More importantly for me, the Razer Synapse software does its job very well.

Argarth

On the verandah
Both meaning the Tartarus and the Orbweaver. Sorry for the confusion.

Got it. Yeah, skipped the Orbweaver too, again primarily because of the D-pad change. Tried one on display in-store, and immediately hated that stupid little knob.

With the removable thumb-stick, the Tartarus V2 gives you the best of both worlds I guess. I use the D-pad mostly for strafing/leaning etc, so it just gets in the way for me.