Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For what it's worth, I have a Razer Orb Weaver in great condition I'd sell you pretty cheap! Got it thinking it'd be amazing for gaming, etc, but I never use it. My kids like the pretty lights it makes though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Bought the first parts for my new build, so far I have 7 RGB fans, am I doing this right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You're not doing RGB right until several weeks after the build when you disable or turn down the effects because the annoyances outweigh the cool factor. Only then will you have truly mastered the art of RGB.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That shit is for 15 yr old teenage boys. Give me a nice discrete quiet dark box so it does not irritate me in my nice dark gaming space.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That shit is for 15 yr old teenage boys. Give me a nice discrete quiet dark box so it does not irritate me in my nice dark gaming space.

I'm from and live in Vegas, it has to be brighter than the Luxor.

All kidding aside, picked up this case, a radiator and PSU tonight.

It'll look somewhat like this minus the reservoir/piping. Just having fun w/ it. Wife and I both building new PCs, with a long term goal of these parts to trickle down to PCs for the kids over time.

1549943248460.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of lighting, Bias lighting for the back of monitor's etc... is worth looking into if you tend to play in a dark/dim room. It really helps with eyestrain and avoiding brightness bloom issues without interfering with picture quality or causing reflections. Even something like a little white LED strip attached to the back can work. Just don't have it pulsing or changing colours as that can make it worse. Just be mindful of shitty cheap strips if you're powering it through the PC's usb as that's never a good idea.

Argarth

On the verandah
The 1080 Ti is a beast of a card, and I think pretty equal in benchmarks to the 2070...

But it's not. The 2070 is much closer to a standard 1080. Not suggesting it's a bad choice at all, but that comparison is a mistake.

Hardware Unboxed 2070 benchmarks

edit: Yikes! I was just looking at the prices of new video cards in Australia. Fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
What's are the mounting options for ultrawide 34" displays?

The foot for my X34p is huge and takes way too much space. I also have an older 34" ultrawide sitting in storage so I'm looking for something that would let me mount them one above the other.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

The foot for my X34p is huge and takes way too much space. I also have an older 34" ultrawide sitting in storage so I'm looking for something that would let me mount them one above the other.
Look at Humanscale stuff, specifically M/FLEX and PARA/FLEX for M2 and M8 Arms. You should be able to mount up to 2 x 24 lb X34Ps

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit, those are on the expensive side.
Nice part is you can reuse it with any future big monitors no matter how useless their built in stands are. Aggregate the cost over a few display upgrades and it lessens the pain a lil. They are *solid*, reliable and save a lot of space. M8 is a godsend if you need space or have multiple display setups.

I have a small office with very little space and it is setup with three displays: a 40" (with an M8 arm) sandwiched between a 32" and 24" (with regular desktop portrait stands). The 40" monitor is 11.5 Kg and and M8 can handle it with ease. Lets me have the huge screen on a regular desk with the monitor hovering right over the far edge of the desk with the bottom edge of the monitor right @ desktop height.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

check the weight imo, i googled a few 34" and some are on the 18lb side, so it depends on how good your monitor arm is.

Note, my expensive 100$ ergotron could NOT adjust (tilt head sucks) an old ass 24" hp (heavy shit), i moved that monitor over to the newer $20 monitor arms i bought, which i believe are sturdier and more adjustable, and they worked better.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
How many of you use custom keycaps for your keyboard? What made you get them? Do you like them? What kind?

Do I use custom keycaps? Why yes I do!

For the look.

Pudding is my keycap of choice. Have 3 keyboards with them now.

167174_aaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider

If you're near a wall, look into tv mounts IMO. If you want to adjust them, it might take some digging, as most tv mounts only swivel left/right and can tilt, but there are some others that will also have height adjustment.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seller on that 2070 gave me an out last night after taking all day to respond. I said I went a different route, and thanks but no thanks.

Got talked out of it, to wait and see if there is a 2070 Ti announcement, and to see if nVidia does a across the board price drop.