Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
CPU heat issues are most commonly due to a poorly seated/pasted heatsink, or the motherboard jamming too much vcore into it. Have you looked into your cpu usage to see if you have a miner trojan or something? Might get some more info over in the tech support thread too

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Paste is fine, it’s seated fine. I’ve literally redone it three times.

The o oh thing I can think of is I have a ASUS ROG motherboard...are those things set to auto overclocke? I went through bios last night and due to my limited knowledge on that sorta thing I’m not sure what means what.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
CPU heat issues are most commonly due to a poorly seated/pasted heatsink, or the motherboard jamming too much vcore into it. Have you looked into your cpu usage to see if you have a miner trojan or something? Might get some more info over in the tech support thread too

My voltage is usually around 1.2-1.3 and the percentages of it while in use seem appropriate.

Malkav

French Madman
Ryzen are naturally self overclocking with Precision Boost Overdrive. The motherboard can push voltages up to 1.5V to the CPU during load, which is very high and definitely not needed.

My own 2600 is overclocked to 4Ghz with a 40 multiplier and I've fixed the voltage to 1.28V and it's doing really great. It's cooled by a NZXT Kraken X62 and I was getting like 65°C top while playing Anthem earlier. The o/c doesn't let the CPU steps down at idle though, so it stays at 4Ghz and barely lower the voltage, but I'm getting 38°C idle temps with fans on a silent profile and rather high ambient temp.

Malkav

French Madman
Need to disable Precision Boost Overdrive in the bios. Name of the option can vary.

Keep in mind your 2600 will be stuck at it's stock speed of 3.4Ghz though.

You can also try and just fix the CPU VCORE in the bios, just feeding him a fixed Voltage will prevent it from going to ridiculous values.

I'll admit that even then, I'm finding your temp weirdly high, so I suspect some fuckery.

Edit : Had a look around, a 2600 with stock cooler shouldn't get this temp, even bith overdrive. Looking at reports on various forums, it should be more like 70/75 under heavy load.
What software are you using to monitor temps?
Try and update your motherboard bios (can affect temps sensors) and install Ryzen Master (AMD own utility) and check temps there.

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I went to do a clean install of Windows 10. Can't Windows doesn't see a hard drive? I look at device manager, and I see this. WTF is this?

Clipboard01.jpg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Optane is some Intel SSD/Memory thing they came out with a few years back. You shouldn't be seeing anything about it unless you bought an Intel ssd or Optane drive

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Optane is some Intel SSD/Memory thing they came out with a few years back. You shouldn't be seeing anything about it unless you bought an Intel ssd or Optane drive

I guess I bought one. That picture I attached is my disk drive under device manager.

Clipboard01.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well after I get home I’m a bit I’ll take a look at the settings some more and if nothing else take the side of my case off and see what happens

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I guess I bought one. That picture I attached is my disk drive under device manager.

View attachment 194940

I have no experience with them, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you find that something about your storage isn't working properly. Certainly worth researching what it's all about since you have one though. You might have access to some features that they offer.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Today I discovered you can set a custom resolution in NVCP to have a full-on ultrawide resolution on a normal aspect ratio display. Running a 3840x1600 resolution on a normal 4K display to see how ultrawide works in various games and to test out if I prefer the aspect ratio or not. It's pretty much like having a 45" ultrawide just with some blank black screen space on the top and bottom. I'm liking what I see so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Started my build tonight, a 2700x on a Crosshair VI (kinda settled on what locals stores had in stock so I could build today). Too tired to learn how to setup the radiator and all the fan shit tonight though.

Will post a pic tomorrow when finished, in all it's ridiculous rgb glory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I built a budget gaming desktop yesterday. Used to laptops for many years now, due to constantly traveling for work, and most of them were potatoes when it comes to gaming. The difference is amazing for someone used to turning down graphic settings to low/min. Most of the parts are up to 2 years old, but I don't need bleeding edge anymore, and I don't think I'm interested in anything newer than Fallout 4 right now, so this system is giving me great framerates, with great quality for anything I play.

I never used a SSD before. Years ago when I was still building gaming rigs every year, they were really new, and really expensive. I got a 500gb one for this system that was on sale, and the difference for a lot of things is very noticeable, especially any load times for games. The the 1tb and larger ones didn't cost much, but I generally only have around 400gb space used, everything else goes to another drive/device. I'm not sure if SSD are incrementally slower as the size increases or not, so just stuck with a comfortable size.

Oh first time with an Nvidia/Geforce card as well, I'll admit this one was simple. Pop it in, install drivers, no problems. With the ATI/AMD ones there was always some damn workaround or tweak I needed for games I was playing, or certain games performed bad with the ATI/AMD cards, maybe just luck of the draw.

Xaven

Molten Core Raider
I've owned a PC since 1998 but I've never overclocked one. So I'm dipping into new waters and could use some advice/recommendations.

Current relevant PC parts:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Window High-Airflow ATX Midtower Computer Case

My motherboard still has the BIOS version (F5e) that allows overclocking for non-K CPUs VIA adjusting the CPU base clock.

A) Is there a website or listing of stable BCLK/Voltage/DRAM settings for the i5-6500? I've found some information but it's 3+ years old and I'm worried about doing something very wrong.
B) If available, what would you recommend for a cooler for under $50 and able to fit into the case? So far my research has lead me to Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-20PK-R2) CPU Cooler

The goal is to keep this system playing games well for another year or two until the next build.