Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
These posts made me think about this, because I never really knew much about RAM. I don't think mine was actually set to the right speed, although it was set to auto adjust. I tried playing a game of PUBG and it never ramped up (was~1100 MHz). I set it to 3200 in bios now. This is what I show

1550599944507.png

and this is the RAM (bought it ~2017, Z270E Motherboard) CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W - Newegg.com

Are these things right? Should I try to find the CAS Latency and change it to 16?

Would I notice any difference in performance with better RAM? How much does it matter?

Edit: If relevant I have a 7700k running at 5.0

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I seriously doubt that shit does anything, maybe adds a frame or two? At the most?( to games, not sure what it does in other applications) BTW that exact ram I got like you would not OC for me, maybe a bug in the proc I have? I remeber reading somwhere, maybe here? the 9600K has a thing with OC ram. I tried to OC that ram in bios but games would crash every 5 min. I turned it off and everything is smooth.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've read over the past couple months of posts here, so I'm fairly caught up I think, but I'm still completely unsure about video cards. I'm probably going to put together a somewhat budget system very soon (upwards of $1000, but the closer I can stick to that, the better), but video card prices and performance just seem to be outrageous. I've read all the reasons why in this thread, but fuck me. I probably can't wait until another generation comes out either, unless it is literally this month.

What is a decent card that people are buying nowadays without breaking the bank? I'd prefer nVidia as well, because I have a Shield and the integration with that is seamless. Unless AMD has something that just blows them away, which my reading here seems to indicate wasn't the case (pretty lackluster from your opinions, actually), I'll just stick with nVidia. But I have no fucking clue which one to buy that will last me another 5 years like my 760 has.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'd wait on video cards unless you want something to hold you over. Prices are still ridiculous but they're coming down. It depends on what games you play, what resolution and refresh rate your monitor has etc.

If you want a new Nvidia card right now the 2060 on sale (saw one at $320?) seems like the best bet for pricing/performance. (that said ray tracing and dlss seem like total bullshit right now)

Personally I don't think it's ok that 4k capable cards are basically more expensive than 1080ti's were when they came out a couple years ago.

edit - oh yeah the 1660 ti is coming out soon too (feb 22 @ $280) and that will probably do something to prices?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nah, it was a fair question. Motherboards are confusing as all hell unless you put a lot of effort trying to translate it.

Simple checklist would be:

Is it considered a good OC board if I want to OC
IS there a good resource for determining that? As in, a website / group of people who attempt to OC the same computer with different motherboards and would demonstrate the effective OC difference between say:

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

It's like, the diffreence between the Carbon and Carbon AC is $35, but other than the heat sink design I literally can't tell the difference between them.

Right now I'm planning on buying the cheapest MSI MPG Z390 board, the Gaming Plus based on the assumption that all the MPG boards are the same in terms of OC ability.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
These posts made me think about this, because I never really knew much about RAM. I don't think mine was actually set to the right speed, although it was set to auto adjust. I tried playing a game of PUBG and it never ramped up (was~1100 MHz). I set it to 3200 in bios now. This is what I show

View attachment 195262

and this is the RAM (bought it ~2017, Z270E Motherboard) CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W - Newegg.com

Are these things right? Should I try to find the CAS Latency and change it to 16?

Would I notice any difference in performance with better RAM? How much does it matter?

Generally, if you're not sure about this stuff it's just best to leave ram timings/speeds to auto (XMP). You could possibly eek a bit more out of it but it's not worth the time and effort unless you need it for cpu overclocking purposes. Also keep in mind that you double ram frequency when reading the stat, so that reading is actually 3197.8 MHz

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
IS there a good resource for determining that? As in, a website / group of people who attempt to OC the same computer with different motherboards and would demonstrate the effective OC difference between say:

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

It's like, the diffreence between the Carbon and Carbon AC is $35, but other than the heat sink design I literally can't tell the difference between them.

Right now I'm planning on buying the cheapest MSI MPG Z390 board, the Gaming Plus based on the assumption that all the MPG boards are the same in terms of OC ability.
the ac is for wifi(wireless nic), you get wifi and bluetooth w/ the ac

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

What I've done in the past is google for overclocking guides for the boards. Those guides tend to be on forums that have been around for decades and will be full of people talking about the boards I might be looking at, and the problems involved. I also check out whatever tech support forums the manufacturers might have up and see what's being talked about there. For example, if I had waited a bit longer to buy my current motherboard, I would have been able to read other people talking about the EMI issues with the audio.

In the case of the carbon pro vs the carbon pro ac: I think the AC version comes with wi-fi/bluetooth. The direct comparison doesn't show anything else

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Generally, if you're not sure about this stuff it's just best to leave ram timings/speeds to auto (XMP). You could possibly eek a bit more out of it but it's not worth the time and effort unless you need it for cpu overclocking purposes. Also keep in mind that you double ram frequency when reading the stat, so that reading is actually 3197.8 MHz
Yeah, that's why I didn't complain about the frequency. I did have to manually set the speed to get that though, it was less before. Guess we'll see if I have any problems the next few days. I was just curious about the latency because the page for the ram says 16-18-18-36 or whatever, and I thought the first number is cas latency, but the board has it auto to 17. Just unsure if that's something I should worry about

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've read over the past couple months of posts here, so I'm fairly caught up I think, but I'm still completely unsure about video cards. I'm probably going to put together a somewhat budget system very soon (upwards of $1000, but the closer I can stick to that, the better), but video card prices and performance just seem to be outrageous. I've read all the reasons why in this thread, but fuck me. I probably can't wait until another generation comes out either, unless it is literally this month.

What is a decent card that people are buying nowadays without breaking the bank? I'd prefer nVidia as well, because I have a Shield and the integration with that is seamless. Unless AMD has something that just blows them away, which my reading here seems to indicate wasn't the case (pretty lackluster from your opinions, actually), I'll just stick with nVidia. But I have no fucking clue which one to buy that will last me another 5 years like my 760 has.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
As Daez says, I'd probably wait. But what resolution are you running at? 1440p? You want 60fps I assume?

So for me, 1440p 60FPS means a 2070 for smooth 60 FPS in any of the newer games. 1080 Ti would do it as well but they are around the same price. Used 1080 Ti $600, new 2070 $600.

Another thing, which is my opinion, but the days of getting a video card that lasts 5 years I feel are long gone. It's not gonna happen anymore, sorry bruh. :(

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, that's why I didn't complain about the frequency. I did have to manually set the speed to get that though, it was less before. Guess we'll see if I have any problems the next few days. I was just curious about the latency because the page for the ram says 16-18-18-36 or whatever, and I thought the first number is cas latency, but the board has it auto to 17. Just unsure if that's something I should worry about

As far as I know the XMP profiles are all preset tables that BIOS looks up and sets, so it's not like the board is testing the ram and setting it to what it's capable of. So if Corsair is saying that the ram is capable of a better timing than what the profile is saying, it probably is. I personally would set it lower as well and see if it works, so you have the right idea. Just try to remember that you've done it if/when any weird issues pop up in the future as it might not be an immediate failure state. Some specific game could start crashing randomly a year from now or something along those lines. Ram is finicky that way.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So if anyone wants to get gaudy, make sure you have all the right headers on your motherboard for the RGB you're buying. 3 pin and 4 pin are completely different and you can't just buy an adapter.

.... or so i hear. :D

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

View attachment 195262

Newegg lists the cas at 16. 17 vs 16 isn’t going to make much of a difference though.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider

View attachment 195262

I bought that same RAM for ~€210 about a year ago for 2x8GB sticks.
Price down to €125 for 2x8 GB sticks and with how much RAM EfT eats I am really intrigued now.

now for something completely different:
I have a old OCZ 550W PSU. StealthXStream or something. Bought late 2008 and it's been running fine ever since. Survived two upgrade cycles so far (I'm slow like that). Now people keep going on about how the caps are probably already blowing up and the DC has lots of remaining AC in it (ripple voltage) and if it blows up it will fry my whole computer, or at least mobo/cpu/ram.

How full of shit are these guys or should I really replace a perfectly fine PSU every "X" years?

Here at work we have computers from the same era still going strong. Yes we still use computers from 2008 and 2009.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's fine, but the moment you start smelling anything weird or have an actual reason to think it's on its way out: replace it. Can it technically go up and take stuff with it? Yeah. Will it? Not likely. If it fails it's more likely to just stop working.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
It's fine, but the moment you start smelling anything weird or have an actual reason to think it's on its way out: replace it. Can it technically go up and take stuff with it? Yeah. Will it? Not likely. If it fails it's more likely to just stop working.
Good. I've seen a few PSUs go here at work, back when we bought the cheapest of the cheapest shitboxes (seriously some crap where the CPU fan blocked a memory slot), had to replace a PSU every three months it feels like. Now from the better quality stuff I've never ever replaced a single PSU.

Thanks for your input.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As Daez says, I'd probably wait. But what resolution are you running at? 1440p? You want 60fps I assume?

So for me, 1440p 60FPS means a 2070 for smooth 60 FPS in any of the newer games. 1080 Ti would do it as well but they are around the same price. Used 1080 Ti $600, new 2070 $600.

Another thing, which is my opinion, but the days of getting a video card that lasts 5 years I feel are long gone. It's not gonna happen anymore, sorry bruh. :(
Well, my point is that I can't wait. I'm building the machine very soon, and I am still going to be using the old one for other stuff, so I can't take the video card out of it.

I'm not sure I agree with the 5-year video card thing, because by all accounts...that's what is happening with most people. How long has the 1080ti been out? 2 years now, and at the glacial rate cards seem to be improving, it will easily be still relevant in 3 years I think.

And it isn't just the high end cards. My fucking 760 that I bought 5 years ago is still for sale and in demand, and a good 50% higher priced than what I paid!

To get back to my question though, I currently only have 1080p monitors. I might upgrade one of them to 1440p, but then I'm pretty much requiring that I spend a bunch more on the video card too, and I could easily spend close to $1000 just on the fucking card and monitor :( I don't need 1440p, but it is hard to not want it of course, and since I'm buying a new card my brain wants me to get one that will do 1440p now instead of trying to wait a couple years for a good secondary upgrade point.

Ok, so let's say I want 1440p. Will a 2060 not do that smoothly enough? And what sort of monitor would I need to look at to go with that, assuming I'm not looking to break the bank and maybe get something 23"+?

I'm going to end up spending way more than I intended, I know it :(

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, my point is that I can't wait. I'm building the machine very soon, and I am still going to be using the old one for other stuff, so I can't take the video card out of it.

I'm not sure I agree with the 5-year video card thing, because by all accounts...that's what is happening with most people. How long has the 1080ti been out? 2 years now, and at the glacial rate cards seem to be improving, it will easily be still relevant in 3 years I think.

And it isn't just the high end cards. My fucking 760 that I bought 5 years ago is still for sale and in demand, and a good 50% higher priced than what I paid!

To get back to my question though, I currently only have 1080p monitors. I might upgrade one of them to 1440p, but then I'm pretty much requiring that I spend a bunch more on the video card too, and I could easily spend close to $1000 just on the fucking card and monitor :( I don't need 1440p, but it is hard to not want it of course, and since I'm buying a new card my brain wants me to get one that will do 1440p now instead of trying to wait a couple years for a good secondary upgrade point.

Ok, so let's say I want 1440p. Will a 2060 not do that smoothly enough? And what sort of monitor would I need to look at to go with that, assuming I'm not looking to break the bank and maybe get something 23"+?

I'm going to end up spending way more than I intended, I know it :(
I just got a 27" 1440p monitor for $300, so it's possible to get a monitor without breaking the bank. In my research if you want smooth 1440p gaming at 60 fps, then a 2070 or better is necessary.

A 1080 ti would be fine as well but it's the same cost on the used market as a brand new 2070 so I guess pick your poison. Both options are around $600.

Edit: I should clarify this is 60 fps with maxed out settings basically.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'd definitely wait until the 22nd for reviews on the 1660ti, should be better than a 1070 and I think should also be able to handle 1440p. (its release should drive prices down a little too)

Looking at this review compares a lot of the cards in the $3-400 range.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-02-22-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-benchmarks-700

2060 honestly seems like the best price/performance for 1440p, not sure you can stretch to a 2070 on your budget if you're also buying a monitor.