Desktop Computers

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
B series boards are lower end boards that have cheaper components and less features. Generally not an issue if you're not overclocking and don't need specific things, but you are getting a cheaper product that will usually have lower-end onboard sound, lan, USB etc... In the specific B board you linked the main thing that pops up is that its ram speed compatibility is super low. If you want to overclock at all, you definitely don't want a B series board. Note that the Z series boards come in many price points, so you have a lot to choose from that are cheaper than the one you linked.

That's good info. Never knew that.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'd definitely wait until the 22nd for reviews on the 1660ti, should be better than a 1070 and I think should also be able to handle 1440p. (its release should drive prices down a little too)

Looking at this review compares a lot of the cards in the $3-400 range.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-02-22-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-benchmarks-700

2060 honestly seems like the best price/performance for 1440p, not sure you can stretch to a 2070 on your budget if you're also buying a monitor.
I'm pretty sure my budget is out the fucking window. That was more of a goal, but somebody famous said to dream big!

I'll definitely wait until the 22nd at least, it isn't that urgent that I have to have it today.

I'll throw together a parts picker list at some point so you guys can roast me and tell me why I'm dumb.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd definitely wait until the 22nd for reviews on the 1660ti, should be better than a 1070 and I think should also be able to handle 1440p. (its release should drive prices down a little too)

Looking at this review compares a lot of the cards in the $3-400 range.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-02-22-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-benchmarks-700

2060 honestly seems like the best price/performance for 1440p, not sure you can stretch to a 2070 on your budget if you're also buying a monitor.
Page not found? 😔

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ah, just a quick google, I've been looking at getting a new card recently and the review is fairly consistent I think.

Crone

You're not wrong though it looks like at 1440p the 2060 is gonna do it. Hmm. Doesn't future proof you very well but it's $200 less on the card.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Void Void You might get more satisfaction out of a high refresh rate 1080p setup than you would a 1440p 60hz one, depending on your tolerance for pixel density and what games you play. Having freesync or gsync factor into it as well would mean you would have a lot of wiggle room for performance, depending on the game.

Crone

Void Void You might get more satisfaction out of a high refresh rate 1080p setup than you would a 1440p 60hz one, depending on your tolerance for pixel density and what games you play. Having freesync or gsync factor into it as well would mean you would have a lot of wiggle room for performance, depending on the game.
I tried playing Witcher 3 at 1080p, just to try it, and I swear it looked more terrible. I'm already set on the 1440p resolution!!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I tried playing Witcher 3 at 1080p, just to try it, and I swear it looked more terrible. I'm already set on the 1440p resolution!!

Yeah... That's the thing with going up in resolution or refresh rate, you can never go back. Ignorance is very much bliss when it comes to this stuff. Anyone that's still on 1080p60hz can experience this by trying to watch an old 480p CRT. It's disgusting, but it was once amazeballs.

I can have the fanciest display in the land now, but it won't make me capable of having a better experience than I did when I was a foot away from a dinky little 21" 1080p monitor. Stepping up can actually make it worse, as you start thinking about how even that could be better, so you're focusing on the display and performance instead of the game.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
question: I went thru my old hdd's sitting in a box and discovered that I have 10 of them ranging from 2 to 5 TB. Should I JBOD them or is that a retarded idea? I have never JBOD'd anything.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Damn Vega 56 dropped to $250 with 3 free games and the promptly went out of stock. Probably would have bit at that price. Definitely a reaction to the coming 1660ti, that might be the card to get as ray tracing on the 2060 seems useless.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
MSI reference style isn't as well regarded as the 3-fan Sapphires or Powercolors, but at that price there's nothing better. I am still showing it as in-stock on Newegg at the moment.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
MSI reference style isn't as well regarded as the 3-fan Sapphires or Powercolors, but at that price there's nothing better. I am still showing it as in-stock on Newegg at the moment.
Yeah at that price it might be worth replacing the cooler, anyways Neweggs site is shit, says you can add to cart but it won't actually let you do it and the rebate is gone. Oh well, back to refreshing until something similar pops up!