Desktop Computers

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO, 750D ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB G... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($198.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($809.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($151.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.95 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.50 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($459.28 @ Amazon)
Total: $2850.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:03 EST-0500

Thoughts? Am I missing anything obvious?

I've never done liquid cooling before but I hear it's more and more easy than it used to be.
Unless you specifically want that card, this is the one I bought, it has an additional 10% off right now, bringing it down to $680.

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2080GAMING OC-8GC Video Card - Newegg.com

Still waiting for it all to come in, so I have no experience with the card yet.

Your overall build looks very similar to what I got, looking forward to seeing how you like it. I'm also interested to see how the temps are with water cooling. I bought 4 additional case fans, so I'm hopeful it is nice and cool even at high loads.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO, 750D ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB G... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($809.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($459.28 @ Amazon)
Total: $2850.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 22:03 EST-0500

Thoughts? Am I missing anything obvious?

I've never done liquid cooling before but I hear it's more and more easy than it used to be.
Why the 2 different types of SSD's? Drop the 1 TB SSD, increase the faster, better m.2 NVME SSD to 500gb, and then get a platter drive with a few terabytes for a storage drive? That makes sense for me, but you do you.

You can wait, and save a ton on the video card, just like Vorph pointed out, and that Display is commonly down to $350. I just picked up an Acer 27" , 1440p , 144hz, for $300, and it's on nVidia's list of approved monitors that are Freesync , but can support Gsync. So you can for sure save money there.

Is that motherboard really what you need? Seems expensive AF?

32gb of RAM? Why? Do you have a use case that needs it?

Just some things to think about.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The SSD setup he's going with will work fine if he's just doing games. the 250 for OS and the 1TB for game installs. Though I agree that a larger SSD and a disk drive would be better if he's also doing media files and other stuff as well.

P Poster Just to clarify to avoid possible confusion, but that cooler is an AIO cooler (all in one) which while technically liquid cooling, is generally not called that so as to not confuse it with full liquid setups (with reservoirs and piping and so on) and yeah, the AIO's are as easy to setup as an air setup.

• 1Like

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why the 2 different types of SSD's? Drop the 1 TB SSD, increase the faster, better m.2 NVME SSD to 500gb, and then get a platter drive with a few terabytes for a storage drive? That makes sense for me, but you do you.

You can wait, and save a ton on the video card, just like Vorph pointed out, and that Display is commonly down to $350. I just picked up an Acer 27" , 1440p , 144hz, for $300, and it's on nVidia's list of approved monitors that are Freesync , but can support Gsync. So you can for sure save money there.

Is that motherboard really what you need? Seems expensive AF?

32gb of RAM? Why? Do you have a use case that needs it?

Just some things to think about.

Super helpful on the HDs, will do that. I have no idea on the mobo, other than my current one is the same ASUS/ROG brand that’s held up well for me.

For RAM, you recommend going 2x8 and then add 2x8 later if I need it? At most I will be gaming and streaming with this machine. No weird use cases.

I’ve got a decent dell 24 inch monitor 1920x1200, so no pressing need to upgrade it either but reading this thread it sounds like going to a 27 inch 2560x1440 is a big quality of life improvement.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
One thing about the motherboard, do you care about wifi on the board? I didn't, so I saved a few bucks not paying for it there. It isn't a dealbreaker or anything in a $3000 setup, but just saying.

I'm curious if that monitor Crone Crone bought for $300 was brand new? That seems ridiculously cheap unless maybe it is a TN panel? Wait, now that I think about it, I think maybe it was, because you and (Dom maybe?) were talking about viewing angles and such. In that case, I'm fine with spending a bit more for the one I got. I have no idea about Poster's Dell though, particularly if it goes on sale to $350, might be worth waiting for that for sure then.

I think you should stick with the 2 SSDs you originally had, honestly. Or at most, upgrade the NVME to 500gb and play most of your games off of that, but still have the 1TB for whatever you want. I mean, what is likely to happen if you drop the 1TB and get a regular HDD? You'll say, oh, look how cheap it is to get 4TB (or whatever size), and end up spending the same amount you would have spent on the SSD most likely. If you have use for that extra space, then sure, go that route. But it sounds like you aren't a digital hoarder like me, so most of that extra space would probably go to waste. So why not have what space you do have at a significantly faster speed?

Like everyone said, it's up to you. Just my opinion. I'd definitely check out saving over $100 on the video card, but there may be something you want specifically from the one you picked, and I don't know enough about them to make a good judgment call. Maybe the one I got sucks, and I just don't realize it.

Oh, as for the memory, 16GB total is usually enough for most people, but I have stated my case for needing 32 (Minecraft mod packs), so if you actually have a use for it, don't be afraid to buy 32GB (but if you don't need it, really no reason to spend the money). If you switch video cards it would be almost a wash. I just happen to love the sidebar gadgets that used to be a thing back in Windows 7 maybe? that shows your CPU and memory usage real-time, so I see how consistently I get close to maxing out my memory. Also, having a shitload of tabs open in your browser eats away at memory too, so if you have that additional character flaw like I do, more memory would be nice. No joke, I usually have 50+ tabs, I'm terrible!

• 1Like

Crone

Super helpful on the HDs, will do that. I have no idea on the mobo, other than my current one is the same ASUS/ROG brand that’s held up well for me.

For RAM, you recommend going 2x8 and then add 2x8 later if I need it? At most I will be gaming and streaming with this machine. No weird use cases.

I’ve got a decent dell 24 inch monitor 1920x1200, so no pressing need to upgrade it either but reading this thread it sounds like going to a 27 inch 2560x1440 is a big quality of life improvement.
If going 32gb RAM was just a few bucks, then why not, right? But last I saw prices, it was still pretty expensive between 16gb and 32gb RAM. So for just games, you are going to be totally fine with just 16gb.

Take into account what @Dom said about hard drives as well. For me, 500gb is enough for games. For games, every game is gonna benefit from SSD, at least a little bit. But I'm not so crazy that if a game I feel I won't play very much, or I'm just trying it out, I'll throw it on my 1TB platter drive, and try it out. I don't really get upset over a little longer load times. So it's all about your use case with how you play games. Do you pack rat it? Install every game out there, because your internet isn't that great, and you want to be able to play any game, with any friend, at any time? Then a bigger SSD, or if you don't mind a little to a lot slower (depending on game) load times, you can get a bigger platter job for super cheap.

Don't mean to ramble, hehe. Hope it helps!

• 1Like

Crone

One thing about the motherboard, do you care about wifi on the board? I didn't, so I saved a few bucks not paying for it there. It isn't a dealbreaker or anything in a $3000 setup, but just saying.

I'm curious if that monitor Crone Crone bought for $300 was brand new? That seems ridiculously cheap unless maybe it is a TN panel? Wait, now that I think about it, I think maybe it was, because you and (Dom maybe?) were talking about viewing angles and such. In that case, I'm fine with spending a bit more for the one I got. I have no idea about Poster's Dell though, particularly if it goes on sale to $350, might be worth waiting for that for sure then.

I think you should stick with the 2 SSDs you originally had, honestly. Or at most, upgrade the NVME to 500gb and play most of your games off of that, but still have the 1TB for whatever you want. I mean, what is likely to happen if you drop the 1TB and get a regular HDD? You'll say, oh, look how cheap it is to get 4TB (or whatever size), and end up spending the same amount you would have spent on the SSD most likely. If you have use for that extra space, then sure, go that route. But it sounds like you aren't a digital hoarder like me, so most of that extra space would probably go to waste. So why not have what space you do have at a significantly faster speed?

Like everyone said, it's up to you. Just my opinion. I'd definitely check out saving over $100 on the video card, but there may be something you want specifically from the one you picked, and I don't know enough about them to make a good judgment call. Maybe the one I got sucks, and I just don't realize it.

Oh, as for the memory, 16GB total is usually enough for most people, but I have stated my case for needing 32 (Minecraft mod packs), so if you actually have a use for it, don't be afraid to buy 32GB (but if you don't need it, really no reason to spend the money). If you switch video cards it would be almost a wash. I just happen to love the sidebar gadgets that used to be a thing back in Windows 7 maybe? that shows your CPU and memory usage real-time, so I see how consistently I get close to maxing out my memory. Also, having a shitload of tabs open in your browser eats away at memory too, so if you have that additional character flaw like I do, more memory would be nice. No joke, I usually have 50+ tabs, I'm terrible!
Yea, mine is, and Dom's was the same monitor, and a TN panel. While noticeable in a testing environment I don't notice it while playing games. Good thing I guess I can unsee stuff? haha

The Dell monitor he linked is a great screen, and most people love it, but I think it's a TN panel as well? But yea, it for sure goes on sale at Best Buy, Amazon, etc for $350 a couple times a year. But with nVidia now supporting some Freesync monitors, I don't see the reason to pay the premium for GSync.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bought my ryzen and mobo now. Will set it up this Saturday.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I wouldn't buy a monitor without at least considering the ultrawides, don't own one though so need some owners to chime in.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've had a custom 3840x1600 21:9 res running on my tv/monitor for the last week to see what living with 21:9 is like and it definitely has some great aspects to it. The two core issues with it is some stuff just isn't made for ultrawide, and you pay a fair amount of performance for that extra screen space that is only in your peripheral most of the time. ~30% extra pixels to push without an increase in PPI is a tough pill to swallow.

I will say though that switching back to full 16:9 4k from the custom res makes me want to go back to it. It's a very pleasant immersive experience when it's not hindering you in some way. Playing new dawn in ultrawide on such a large screen has been incredible.

Crone

So what's the sweet spot for 4k?

Is it better to run everything on Ultra, at 1440p, or run everything on like Medium-High but at 4k?

I'd imagine most wouldn't want to play at 4k Ultra, which from 1080 Ti benchmarks it seems most games will do about 20-30 FPS with that?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Depends on the game, but my personal experience is that 4k high is about equal to 2k ultra. Games that have certain foliage heavy scenes or really detailed textures benefit more from 4k though. 1080ti runs plenty of games at 4k60 at high, or ultra with some settings adjustments. The only games I have trouble running at 4k are ones like ghost recon wildlands, and unoptimized lower budget games like eastshade.

It's important to consider that custom resolutions or resolution scaling options can make dropping res down enough to move up settings pretty easy when available. 4k ultra might just be a 0.9 res scaling menu option away.

The real 4kvs1440 compromise debate is 4k/60 VS 1440/120

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The real 4kvs1440 compromise debate is 4k/60 VS 1440/120

Which to me depends on the game then right? Competitive game you want the 120, but a game like Tomb Raider? I'd rather have the IQ.

Had just watched this video before he asked this question too lol.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any game with horizontal movement benefits greatly from increased Hz for sure. How much so depends on how sensitive the viewer is to it, and if it's in a competitive scenario.

If I had to pick between 4k60 and 2k120 for a game like tomb raider with no difference in panel related image quality, I would go with the 2k120 because the game features a lot of camera movement, and the game looks good enough on the lower res. But id also be perfectly fine with the other option. I played the first reboot one on 4k60 and the second on 2k120, and my only complaint about the second experience was my monitor had nowhere near the picture quality my tv has, and thats nothing to do with the resolution.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One other thing I'll mention is that 4k can make some older games which had a detailed visual design look fucking amazing provided it doesn't break their UI. Their visuals were often held back by resolution limits. So, empire total war for example which is a decade old now looks ridiculously good at 4k.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
If I was going to buy a 2080 I'd probably be buying the Alienware AW3418DW 34" UW personally. Newegg is selling them on ebay for $749 right now. (I know a few people here have that monitor)

I did hook my 4k display up to my PS4Pro though and god damn does Uncharted Lost Legacy look amazing on it. Something I don't think would be interesting or useful on an UW obviously.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I think the Alienware has been up-staged by the new LG 34GK950F ultrawide that came out recently, and there are a bunch of ultrawides coming out over the next year as well

LG 34GK950F Review - TFT Central
LG 34GK950F Review 2019: The Best UltraWide Gaming Monitor Now
Oh no doubt and Gsync isn't a must anymore I suppose? (which was why I mentioned buying the 2080, this monitor you linked I've been looking at myself but I probably won't buy an UW until black friday or around then)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Oh no doubt and Gsync isn't a must anymore I suppose?

Not necessarily, but the 1st Gen gsync module is an active detriment to new monitors as it places limits on what the panel can achieve in bandwidth, which in the case of that LG means that the gsync version is clearly an inferior monitor because the module won't allow it to have as high a refresh as the freesync one, and it also causes problems with HDR monitors. The 2nd Gen gsync module has heating issues as well so the monitors that currently have it have to have an obnoxiously loud fan on the back of the monitor. Nothing says a premium $2000 monitor like a buzzing 80mm fan 2 feet from your face.

In well over a year of reading, I've not seen a single convincing argument that gsync Gen 1 is better than freesync Gen 1. The only benefits seem to come down to a the stringent requirements which helps avoid shitty manufacturers skimping on things which they can do with freesync. This is before considering the price premium of gsync though...

Obviously freesync isn't going to be better on Nvidia if it's one of the ones that have issues with the Nvidia freesync support. I have no idea how freesync 2 plays into the support either (haven't gotten around to reading up on it)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($238.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Samsung)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($809.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($458.60 @ Amazon)
Total: $2770.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 21:44 EST-0500

I upped the size of the game install SSD but kept the 1gb "media" SSD. Downsized the RAM and went to a more affordable MoBo while keeping the onboard wifi. I don't really do that much media hoarding anymore, but I do use the PC to stream video to my PS4 from time to time.

Thanks again for all the input! Will post a photo once I get it built